Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180517 times)

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #600 on: November 29, 2009, 01:45:08 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot about those utilities! You can use Tweak to enable those buildings if you need it. Not sure why it didn't allow them already, but this is at least a fix for your problems.
-st

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 29, 2009, 01:46:18 pm »

I have used magma forges/smelters a bunch in Dig Deeper, I cant bring myself to have that many wood cutters when I can use magma.

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 29, 2009, 05:19:50 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot about those utilities! You can use Tweak to enable those buildings if you need it. Not sure why it didn't allow them already, but this is at least a fix for your problems.

That worked! Thank you!

Zugwarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 30, 2009, 08:37:21 am »

Currently Diggin Deeper!
News from my Dwarves.

First Fort: Gargoyle chased my trader around the map till he was cornered. My trader then turned and promptly ripped off both of its wings. Then it ripped of his head.  :-[ Then came the Orks...

Buggish second fort: Tapped into a magma pipe and the magma quickly overwhelmed my miner. Just as i was preparing to write him off i saw that he was swimming though the magma. Dont know why this happened, but he was in there long enough to get hungry, drowsy and dehydrated before i could rescue him. (I had to keep changing the magma levels until it pushed him to the ramp...

If it helps i was running Mayday's pack, DD, reveal, Dwarf Therapist and I tweaked Adamantine. Any idea what caused the magma immunity?

But other than that silliness this mod is awesome! 

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 02, 2009, 03:30:15 am »

Just as i was preparing to write him off i saw that he was swimming though the magma. Dont know why this happened

Did you turn temperature off in the init? That might have done it.

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 02, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »

Dear God these orcs are hardcore! A Pikemaster was hit by a ballista arrow and got his eyes, right foot, left leg and right arm and then wobbled of the map and return 2 years later :P The only thing i can think of to complain of is that many orcs dosn't have names... will it be added in the future?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:46 pm »

The name thing is a quirk of the current version of Dwarf Fortress, that a mod cannot necessarily workaround reliably, regrettably.

If creatures have names, they are at peace with you unless a war is triggered in worldgen. If they do not have names, they are always at war.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 02, 2009, 10:03:30 pm »

I havent tried this out yet, but Ive heard alot about it! I will try this soon, haventt played DF in FOREVER!

I have a suggestion for a creature though. Maybe a Manticore? Manticore Or a Gorgon(I cant remember if these are in already)?
I like them. : )

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:47 am »

Dear God these orcs are hardcore! A Pikemaster was hit by a ballista arrow and got his eyes, right foot, left leg and right arm and then wobbled of the map and return 2 years later :P The only thing i can think of to complain of is that many orcs dosn't have names... will it be added in the future?

I got sieged at one of my forts (have yet to lose a fort with dig deeper, or any DFness, I usually get a new idea and restart >.<) but my archers were raining down hell and I watched as the orc swarm filled with training arrows.  One orc had about 10 training arrows in uncomfortable places, another had lost his eyes, pierced a lung, bad leg and arms, and they all were just shrugging it off.  Finally I thought I had done well enough and opened the gate and my long melee fighter with his dogs just charged them (got rofl stomped), the dogs got smashed, and the orcs charged in with me weeping "Oh ARMOK help those foolish dwarves fire faster.

Was epic to watch the wounded horde of orcs sprint toward the gate, taking more and more fire as one fell, then two, then four, then they reached my gate and the stair that led to the wall, and finally, just as the last remaining orc reared up to the top of the stairs and took his hammer, smashing in the leg of one of my defenders, ready to land the killing blow, dozens of more bolts slam into him and he topples at the top of the stairs, only one dwarf losing his life.  Epic...just epic...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 03, 2009, 05:22:53 pm »

Recently the orcs have been less challenging. I don't know why. I had a single marksdwarf with a quantum quiver (cheating, I know, but if I hadn't done that I would have just had some forbidden ammo up there and unforbidden in combat) raining hell on them and he did a pretty good job of weakening the hoard. After that, about 20 melee dwarves, all legendary wrestlers but only 8 with weapons (only four of which had actually used the weapon before, 4 of my hammerdwarves weren't even dabbling yet) slaughtered the orcs wholesale without a single casualty or even injury. Kind of surprising, considering my first encounters with the orcs many forts ago were bloody and usually required giving up or sealing myself in.

Maybe I'm getting better, or maybe the orcs are just getting worse. On a darker note, I just realized one of those champions is my farmer! I accidentally drafted him instead of a soap maker, which explains why my food stocks were running low.

Edit: On an unrelated note, add me to the list of players digging deeper. After trying a few other mods, this is my favorite. Looking forward to the new civs as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:12:17 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2009, 03:52:17 pm »

Nice mod Ronin, it is very enjoyable and breaks up the monotony of vanilla DF.

Please add me to the list, and I will start putting some information on the wiki for you, probably just the OP at first, maybe adding the new fauna/flora, and possibly some of the stones.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:12 pm »

I take back what I said about the orcs being soft. I ran into an orc elite sniper. He FINALLY died, after killing 7 or 8 of my elite soldiers, when my legendary marksdwarf pumped about 12 cobalt bolts into him. Good god, that was aweful. Aside from the sniper killing, the other orcs were picking off the dwarves he wounded. That was the first true battle, time to reorganize and replace my hammerdwarves.

Given the choice between facing an orc elite sniper and a pair of GCSQ's, I'd take on the spiders. God, that was awful. AWFUL!

I'm a little scared, as some of my champions are now unhappy. If they start tantruming, this will get UGLY!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:53:18 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 05, 2009, 07:13:41 am »

I take back what I said about the orcs being soft. I ran into an orc elite sniper. He FINALLY died, after killing 7 or 8 of my elite soldiers, when my legendary marksdwarf pumped about 12 cobalt bolts into him. Good god, that was aweful. Aside from the sniper killing, the other orcs were picking off the dwarves he wounded. That was the first true battle, time to reorganize and replace my hammerdwarves.

Given the choice between facing an orc elite sniper and a pair of GCSQ's, I'd take on the spiders. God, that was awful. AWFUL!

I'm a little scared, as some of my champions are now unhappy. If they start tantruming, this will get UGLY!

Geez, I once ran into an Orc Elite Sniper. She was the local leader of her civ and apparently had an unusual fashion sense, because she arrived covered in three pages of human and dwarf leather earrings.

I had drafted two migrants from the first wave as champions to be. Unfortunately they were married, and to prevent the ten children they had between them from dying, I made them marksdwarves. When I heard of the siege, I had them stationed in the fortifications above the main entrance (with their children, who followed their mothers everywhere), and had my other champions wait behind the raised drawbridge.

The Elite Sniper proceeded to massacre all 12 dwarves standing on the battlements. There was gore all over the place. Both of the bereaved husbands promptly went insane.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 05, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »

Nevermind
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:40:32 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 07, 2009, 01:44:15 am »

Geez, I once ran into an Orc Elite Sniper. She was the local leader of her civ and apparently had an unusual fashion sense, because she arrived covered in three pages of human and dwarf leather earrings.

I had drafted two migrants from the first wave as champions to be. Unfortunately they were married, and to prevent the ten children they had between them from dying, I made them marksdwarves. When I heard of the siege, I had them stationed in the fortifications above the main entrance (with their children, who followed their mothers everywhere), and had my other champions wait behind the raised drawbridge.

The Elite Sniper proceeded to massacre all 12 dwarves standing on the battlements. There was gore all over the place. Both of the bereaved husbands promptly went insane.

Yea. I had about 25 champions fighting the orcs that battle. Most of the deaths were fortress guard who ran out to help, when I decided to fill the guard from the next migrant wave I realized there were only two left. Probably should have assigned them armor... oops.

The irony is, next siege a single champion engaged a squad of orc lashers and walked out with a light gray wound to his lower left arm. One dwarf vs 15 orcs. That's how freakin ridiculous that sniper was. The dwarf didn't train between sieges, I keep my hammerdwarves on permanent duty so I don't have to hassle with lots of training weapons and switching. My military has gotten even stronger though since two of my trainee hamerdwarf squads reached legendary, which is kind of ironic considering the orc local leaders are all dead which should herald a lull in sieges. The last champion (elite spear orc. Tried to engage 5 dwarf hammerlords at once. Took 8 haul jobs to get him inside) finally sieged, all they have left are high priests and guards. All they do now is patrol the edges of the clear cut area for goblin ambushes, which are rare. Must have embarked too far away from goblin towers. Oh well.

BTW Ronin, I was thinking. I've never seen an orc fortress that had a king, all they have are local leaders. That might be the problem, local leaders are more likely to siege than kings are so the orcs send all their leadership too early. Not sure what causes the orcs to lack a king though.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57