Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180480 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #555 on: November 21, 2009, 09:35:39 pm »

Dig Deeper has been awesome and challenging... though there is one itsy bitsy problem.  Orcs only wear armor, not clothing, right?  Well, this means archers go into battle with their lower arms and hands exposed, while wrestlers charge in stark naked.  "So what?" you say.

All I have to do when Orcs raid my most recent fort, carved into a glacier, is sit back and wait for them to the weather to solve my problem.  Even during summer months, the wrestlers just plain die, while the archers' arms fall off become unusable due to frostbite.  Suffice it to say, this removes their ability to use their bows.  After this, I just tempt the survivors into my Corridor Of Doom, where my Marksdwarves, safely behind fortifications, fill them with ☼mammoth bone bolts☼.

tl;dr: Due to Orcs not having clothes, only armor, Orcish wrestlers freeze to death, and Orcish archers lose their arms, in sufficiently cold climates.  I may leave the survivors alone for a few seasons and see if winter kills off those with fully covering armor.

EDIT: Oh, and ADD ME.
EDIT 2: Upon examination, the arms are still attached, just yellow wounded.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:11:40 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Wheatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 22, 2009, 04:48:05 am »

Quick question. While looking through the raws I notice chickens and geese have eggs as an extract. I know you can get an extract from a dead animal in the butcher's shop but that's hardly how it works in real life so I assume there's another way to do it. How do you extract eggs from live fowl?

As for
Any suggestions for the next ARC? Engravings? Plants? More creatures? More back-story?
Personally I love new plants and things to do with them and also more varied wildlife. Especially dangerous wildlife. I'd say those are my top interests though engravings and back story are of course fun too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:45:46 am by Wheatloaf »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:21 am »

Dig Deeper has been awesome and challenging... though there is one itsy bitsy problem.  Orcs only wear armor, not clothing, right?  Well, this means archers go into battle with their lower arms and hands exposed, while wrestlers charge in stark naked.  "So what?" you say.

All I have to do when Orcs raid my most recent fort, carved into a glacier, is sit back and wait for them to the weather to solve my problem.  Even during summer months, the wrestlers just plain die, while the archers' arms fall off become unusable due to frostbite.  Suffice it to say, this removes their ability to use their bows.  After this, I just tempt the survivors into my Corridor Of Doom, where my Marksdwarves, safely behind fortifications, fill them with ☼mammoth bone bolts☼.

tl;dr: Due to Orcs not having clothes, only armor, Orcish wrestlers freeze to death, and Orcish archers lose their arms, in sufficiently cold climates.  I may leave the survivors alone for a few seasons and see if winter kills off those with fully covering armor.

EDIT: Oh, and ADD ME.
EDIT 2: Upon examination, the arms are still attached, just yellow wounded.

Thanks for that, noted. I'll fix it for the next version.

As for the eggs... At the moment you can only trade for them... Sorry... When Toady adds more functionality to the RAWS I'll expand it.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:54 pm »

add me

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:21 pm »

I just noticed that you lack a reaction to refine Raw Dragonscale.

Oh, and add me!!!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 23, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »

So I've been digging and losing deeper for a while now. Anyone have any tips or defense strategies when you have <100 dwarves? So far I've been using the old retractable bridge + big pit + marksdwarves to take them out safely.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:02 pm »

So I've been digging and losing deeper for a while now. Anyone have any tips or defense strategies when you have <100 dwarves? So far I've been using the old retractable bridge + big pit + marksdwarves to take them out safely.
Orcish archers are, in my experience, freakishly competent, and pose a genuine threat to your marksdwarves.  I'm a big fan of drowning chambers, myself; Orcs ignore trap, so you'll have to do it manually, and be ready to have marksdwarves stationed to deal with those too who manage to slip out.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 23, 2009, 01:48:51 pm »

I'm not a fan of drowning chambers since it can bug items with the current.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »

MOAH CIVS PLZ ;D

BiosElement

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 23, 2009, 10:53:54 pm »

Just wondering, when can we expect another release? I'm rather excited for another one. ^_^

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #565 on: November 23, 2009, 11:35:47 pm »

Playing my first Dig Deeper fort, and am having a lot of fun! People always say how vanilla DF is hard and you're expected to lose a lot, but I've never lost a Dwarf Fort, all it took was building farms, and getting military, and traps.

I had my first Orc Siege at 17 dwarves, and they decimated my small military, pretty much instantly. So I retracted my bridge and waited it out. But booze stocks ran low, so I had to make a decision I've never had to make in DF. BUILD A WELL DURING A SIEGE.

Not that epic, but was fun, digging out the channel and then risking my miner to run up topside and mine out the last channel..

Now the siege has broken, so I'm going to make some armour and train a military force.. No idea what to do against these things.. Thinking make an archer tower.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 24, 2009, 12:24:01 am »

My first game of dig deeper, I have managed to make a drowning chamber, but have run into the problem, they don't all drown, and that it takes forever to drain. I'm now working on the logistics to drain it quickly, which is rather new.

Which just goes to show, this mod is amazing. Can't wait till I finally find that magma, and can start smithing.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #567 on: November 24, 2009, 03:35:21 am »

My first game of dig deeper, I have managed to make a drowning chamber, but have run into the problem, they don't all drown, and that it takes forever to drain. I'm now working on the logistics to drain it quickly, which is rather new.

Which just goes to show, this mod is amazing. Can't wait till I finally find that magma, and can start smithing.

What does your drowning chamber consist of? How do you make the Orcs (I presume) fall into it?

Edit: And my first fort lost.. Wow.. Orcs were filling my winding corridors before my drawbridge, and so I prepared a channel to drown the orcs with. I thought I'd have plenty of time to head topside through a new tunnel and channel two tiles out, causing the corridor to flood. But I didn't see ANOTHER unit of orcs next to my freshly dug staircase. So poor Urist broke through the earth and met a volley of Orc arrows. The orcs then streamed through the new entrance and slaughtered EVERY SINGLE dwarf. It was.. not very epic to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:58:26 am by dbfuru »

Sarge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 24, 2009, 04:37:26 am »

I'm very new to DF and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The depth of it is impressive (nice pun huh?  :P)... so, hi all.

I stumbled onto this mod discussion by chance and it sounds awesome and I'd love to give it a try. My base installation was the 40d release of 6 Sept '09, I installed the tileset application DFG21 on top of that and also found Dwarf Therapist (fecking awesome!) and run that to manage my dwarfs (credit, mention etc etc where due and required)

I was just getting bored when I saw this mod... but alas, I'm having hassles with the download link (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=980). It gives me a "Error 502 Bad Gateway" message.

I'm getting old  ;) and the older I get the more I get tech-challenged I become (ya laugh, your turn will come), so I have no idea what that means or what to do.

If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction to download this mod and also, before I have to ask later, point me to the installation guide for it - I will be most appreciative.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:20:39 am by Sarge »

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 24, 2009, 04:56:46 am »

Hi Sarge. It appears the download server is down. Best thing to do right now is just wait for a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 57