Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180487 times)

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:06 pm »

Hey Martinuzz, thanks for the tips.  I'll try it out tonight, see what I get.  'Course, given the kind of prep I'm doing to face orcs, goblin ambushes are completely non-events. 

Heh, an ambush of 5 bowgoblins and 1 wrestler popped on a pet sheep, and was promptly torn to shreds by a roving pack of war dogs.  No soldiers even involved.  The dogs were milling about quite far behind the hunter who trained them.

Then some goblins with swords or spears or something had the misfortune of springing on another hunter not far from where some spear trainees were stationed (with Nordic Gold Pitchforks - won't risk the Tridents yet, which will be blackmetal).  It was almost horrible to watch as their eyes and intestines got poked out.

My original archers have done so much wrestling they have perfect stats.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2009, 02:23:52 am »

One of my champions is equipped with a mithril pitchfork.. Rich farmer's weapon hehe..
He already killed a guard while sparring. And 63 orcs..

By the way, there is no such things as perfect stats.. When you're superdwarvenly tough, perfectly agile and all, your stats will still keep on increasing, only you won't see it.
You can see it if you use Dwarf Companion, a handy little tool by Bartavelle.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:26:31 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:59 am »

Hmm..Well by an extraordinary set of circumstances I've managed to catch a Phoneix, the possibilities are endless though I'm concerned about the potential for firebreath..

Also, might I ask the significance of Titanium? I'm going through alot of trouble to try and get some but I haven't a whole lot of ideas as to what to do with it.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2009, 06:04:45 am »

I was looking at your changelog on the mod hosting site. How in the world
did you manage this? I thought this was hardcoded?

Caused dwarves to become more demanding over things such as having individual rooms, they tantrum easier as well

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2009, 06:16:45 am »

I was looking at your changelog on the mod hosting site. How in the world
did you manage this? I thought this was hardcoded?

Caused dwarves to become more demanding over things such as having individual rooms, they tantrum easier as well

Tweaked their personalities. Ever so slightly but I think it has a noticeable effect.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2009, 08:33:10 am »

I'm thinking of Digging Deeper. Is 40d13 stable? I've been using 40d.

Also, how does your mod affect Adventurer mode? Is it more Funtm?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2009, 08:49:33 am »

Niggling thoughts:

Don't like the presence of hemp and wheat.  We've already got rope reed (hemp) and longland grass (wheat).  What in the world do we need two more of them for?  In fact, while it's nice to have lots of aboveground plants, I hate scrolling through three pages of them when I want to plant anything.  So I'm taking a bunch of them out.  But apricots are good.

Pheasants and geese keep killing my hunters.  They fly over pools of water, which look nice and safe until the dwarf follows them in and drowns.   :(  I guess I should dig ramps in all pools.  Annoying, but I don't see any fix other than 'remove game fowl'.

Orcs preclude trading.  Gr.  When I holed up with my human diplomat, he went insane and died before the orcs left.  Now the humans siege me, too.  Fortunately, they are somewhat less fierce.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get two sieges at once!

I've already mentioned my dislike of Trapavoid, but my favorite traps still work.  The spear/spike line, for example.  Dwarf power!

Levers are your friends, everyone.  Make sure you designate a starting dwarf as an engineer, as lever-activated doors can't be picked.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »

After having a VERY FUN game with Dig deper added in i have decided to never use Vanilla again.

Thanks man.
Back to Mafia with me!

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2009, 03:15:33 pm »

Next version, pump up megabeasts a lot to be able to compete with orc armies. Please :)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2009, 10:10:34 pm »

Yes, 40d13 is the version I'm using at the moment. DIG DEEPER is stable for 40d and all its current variants.

Of course! New foes to slay, new speech for immersion and many, many new weapons and other such equipment.

Niggling thoughts:

Don't like the presence of hemp and wheat.  We've already got rope reed (hemp) and longland grass (wheat).  What in the world do we need two more of them for?  In fact, while it's nice to have lots of aboveground plants, I hate scrolling through three pages of them when I want to plant anything.  So I'm taking a bunch of them out.  But apricots are good.

I'm not taking hemp or wheat out. I imagine rope reed and longland grass are different types of plants, perhaps with slightly similar properties but not of our garden variety. If you don't like scrolling through millions of possible variations of everything you might not like this mod. It's all about the variance and I won't compromise on that.

Pheasants and geese keep killing my hunters.  They fly over pools of water, which look nice and safe until the dwarf follows them in and drowns.   :(  I guess I should dig ramps in all pools.  Annoying, but I don't see any fix other than 'remove game fowl'.

Can happen with any flying animal. This is a problem with the AI not DIG DEEPER. I find it utterly hilarious and I'm definitely not getting rid of the game fowl.

Orcs preclude trading.  Gr.  When I holed up with my human diplomat, he went insane and died before the orcs left.  Now the humans siege me, too.  Fortunately, they are somewhat less fierce.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get two sieges at once!

They're meant to. That's what SIEGES do... Cut you off from supplies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege

Levers are your friends, everyone.  Make sure you designate a starting dwarf as an engineer, as lever-activated doors can't be picked.

Exploitation like this is drawing me ever-closer to an irreversible decision to give orcs BUILDING_DESTROYER: 2 as well as trap-avoid.

After having a VERY FUN game with Dig deper added in i have decided to never use Vanilla again.

Thanks man.

My pleasure, I'm glad you like it  :). If you could spare the time I'd love for you to go rate the file on DFFD (download location). Perhaps even leave a comment! It's always nice to receive thanks but it is nicer yet to keep this thread and this mod alive for more to enjoy  :D!

Next version, pump up megabeasts a lot to be able to compete with orc armies. Please :)

Implemented  ;).

Oh and by the way, a little update on how things are progressing... I have added in halflings to the new update, I eventually want drow and dark dwarves too.

- Halflings
- Drow
- Black Dwarves

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:17 pm »

Yes, 40d13 is the version I'm using at the moment. DIG DEEPER is stable for 40d and all its current variants.

Of course! New foes to slay, new speech for immersion and many, many new weapons and other such equipment.

Alright! Since I can use it with 40d, I'll start Digging Deeper as soon as I collapse the skyroof on my current embark location.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:01 pm »

Question (and I think I know your answer, although if you answer differently, I'll be pleasantly suprised):

When you add the Drow, can you take the [trapavoid] tags from the Orcs and give it to them instead? That way, you would have Orcs as the Strongest Seiging race, while the Drow would be the race that would be able to avoid traps (And also seige like elves)?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2009, 12:35:51 am »

Question (and I think I know your answer, although if you answer differently, I'll be pleasantly suprised):

When you add the Drow, can you take the [trapavoid] tags from the Orcs and give it to them instead? That way, you would have Orcs as the Strongest Seiging race, while the Drow would be the race that would be able to avoid traps (And also seige like elves)?

An interesting proposition. I will consider it. Orcs will probably gain building destroyer if that's the case though...

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2009, 01:49:49 am »

I am so pissed. I didn't double check when I unzipped, and I didn't unzip properly. I just made an awesome fort in vanilla, about 1 hour in... I started realizing it felt very bland, and I checked the forge and there is no special weapons. I am going to go back and fix the problem now.  >:(

archgaden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2009, 08:16:06 am »

Building destroyer would make a lot more sense for the orcs.  I just can't see any creature short of some giant mega-beast avoiding traps by smashing through them.  Having an orc rush into a weapon trap should really only make it more effective.  I removed that trapavoid tag first thing.  Of course, winning with a hall of traps is silly and boring, so I have to self limit to a single line of cage traps near a chained up dog as an early warning system and a few stone-fall and weapon traps scattered around the fort for when the front lines are breached.. hopefully to keep civilian losses to 50% or so.  That shouldn't happen if I don't let too many in through the bridge airlock system...of course... lever lag is fun.

My experience so far has been a great deal of fun.  I was given a bit less than a year to set up before the orcs came, which was far more time than I needed to dig in.  The orcs usually come after a trade caravan arrives though, which has destroyed my human and elf relations due to shut-in madness.  I'm having trouble finding iron, so my military is suffering for it, requiring me to turn to fortified archery and avoid melee...although, I'm getting a ton of steel from invading orcs, so that will be turning around very soon.  The orcs come in far greater numbers than I can handle with 25% draft-rate, so I'll have to militarize even more.  I already had one bad experience when I saw about 10 orcs and decided to let them in to fight... and there were about 30 that actually got in.  I had the dwarven caravan there at the time though, and their guard formed the front line of my defense, with my military staying back to provide cover fire.  The caravan suffered 100% casualties, and my military struck down to less than half of its numbers.  I suffered about 10% civlian losses as a few orcs managed to make it into the fort (why I thought a few scattered traps should be built from then on..)  Sieges are keeping me shut in for most of the year now.  The brief breaks I get are used for mass loot hauling and dispatching of team woodcutter.  Eventually, I expect the orcs will field more elite bowman, which will end my archery mayham... by then, I plan to have my military equipped in their steel...or better yet, one of the new metals if I can find it.

The orcs have created a cruel feedback loop with imported wealth.  They force caravans to drop their loot on my map and when I do manage to kill them, they drop their own loot to.  This added loot greatly increases my wealth, which seems to be leading to bigger sieges, which create even more loot.  My imported wealth is sitting about 5:1 to my normal wealth, but nothing a few artifacts won't fix.   

I look forward to sneaky drow and more megabeasts.  Its great actually having a challenge to pit military against.  It makes the trial of having to deal with equipment juggling mean something.  My only real gripe is that the trading aspect of the game is nearly removed by constant sieging.  It feels cheap having all their loot dumped on me for free because the orcs smashed them.  I might just have to keep the trade depot shut off until I find a way to defend them against such reckless orc hate... hrrm..  might not be much of a gripe if I can find a way to pull that off. 
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57