Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180522 times)

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2009, 04:54:45 pm »

I think I shall download this, but that said, I've not hit the stage where vinilla is too plain or easy. Still a bit of a newb, but I look forward to the day I can handle this, though I may just put it on right after my current fort, just for 'fun'
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:46 pm »

Add me as a list of users.

The mod is a little buggy. One time, my fort was defeated by... the caravan's massive/possibly infinite cargo of caged chickens and pigs... the list went on forever... it killed my frame rate.

Another time, my Trader wanted a pet Sorcerer. :D

My only complaint is TRAP_AVOID, which I guess can easily be removed, but an alternative that makes traps less effective would probably be better. Even though it would take slightly longer to train my devastating army of WAR RABBITS!!! (yeah, I made rabbits trainable. Unfortunately, they didn't live up to their Monty Python status)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2009, 03:32:01 am »

Add me as a list of users.

Will do.

The mod is a little buggy.

I disagree.

One time, my fort was defeated by... the caravan's massive/possibly infinite cargo of caged chickens and pigs... the list went on forever... it killed my frame rate.

Don't request them/obtain a better CPU... I find this to be an extremely odd problem...

Another time, my Trader wanted a pet Sorcerer. :D

Having a dwarf like sorcerers doesn't mean he wants them as pets just the same way that a dwarf liking giant corkscrews doesn't mean he wants them as pets.

My only complaint is TRAP_AVOID, which I guess can easily be removed, but an alternative that makes traps less effective would probably be better. Even though it would take slightly longer to train my devastating army of WAR RABBITS!!! (yeah, I made rabbits trainable. Unfortunately, they didn't live up to their Monty Python status)

Guards... Burn the heretic...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

Well, after reading some posts about this, I decided to dive in. Holy carp, I love this mod. Like others have said before me, this mod brings back the chaotic Fun that I had long since conquered. And I haven't even had orcs raid me yet, hahaha.

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2009, 09:51:19 am »

By god this mod is hard! :p I was able (after 4 tries) to build a fort that worked for 6 years, but then.. a fucking Black Dragon that was worhipped by half the orcs in world attacked me and ate/burned everyone... RECLAIMERS ARE ON THE WAY!!

BiosElement

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:16 pm »

After finding an epic location complete with chasm, bottomless pit, lava pool and 7x sheer cliff wall I get a double orc siege in the second year. 4 dwarfs died from lack of water and the second siege snuck around and hit me before I'd ordered everyone in and the doors locked. Needless to say it was a slaughter.

...Totally awesome!

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »

My first strategy is usually... GET THE HELL INSIDE... LOCK ALL THE DOORS...

Then comes... START PRODUCING WEAPONS AND SPARRING.

I'm into my third year, and all I've produced for armor is some crappy leather and 4 bronze breastplates.  Still have killed something like 22 orcs - through the magic of drawbridge chicken.  Lure those suckers in close, than pepper them with orc-bone bolts.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2009, 05:35:42 pm »

My first strategy is usually... GET THE HELL INSIDE... LOCK ALL THE DOORS...

Then comes... START PRODUCING WEAPONS AND SPARRING.

I'm into my third year, and all I've produced for armor is some crappy leather and 4 bronze breastplates.  Still have killed something like 22 orcs - through the magic of drawbridge chicken.  Lure those suckers in close, than pepper them with orc-bone bolts.

Hahaha, I haven't been able to get much of a metalworking production train going in my fortress but I do have one legendary weapon smith and I imported a bar of mithril from a trade caravan. I don't know how she'd fare against orcs but my one military swordsdwarf is able to cut goblins down in their droves with her EXCEPTIONAL mithril short sword. The first time my recruit used it she hit a goblin so hard it flew through the air for several hundred meters, smashed into a tree breaking at the torso into separate: two legs, two arms a torso and a severed head. Blood exploded all over the clearing and I checked my dwarfs profile to see she now "doesn't care about anything anymore".

... Awesome...

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:09 pm »

Ok, I finally have a working fort. Its even themed :D

I'm now able to deal with all threats but ArcherOrcs, which can't touch me if I don't go on the walls. Also, is it normal for Caravans and Migrants to not come, or even be mentioned, during Seiges?

Edit: One of my dwarves made an Epic Blackmetal Earing Artifact... worth 200k. Needless to say, it tripled my fortress value.

Edit: Also, the current Orcs are called 'The Incest of Sharks'. Well, now we know what happens when we mate related sharks. Kind of makes sense.

Edit the third: What's wrong with having a pet Sorcerer? Surely, if your dwarf likes an animal, they should get it. For instance, one of my dwarves likes GCSQ for their fearsome power. As such, I feel she deserves one as a pet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:44:27 pm by Vieto »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:21 am »

My fort is well established into it's 11th year by now and my military is feared by Orcs around the world. The only things I don't take on head-on are Orc elite archers.. Bit paranoia, since they killed some of my elite marksdwarves in the early years of the fort, right through my tower's fortifications. Although I should try again if another one turns up. Everyone is clad in exceptional / masterwork full plate / chain, with GCS chitin leather underneath it, and all are legendary shield/armor users. They take out squads of normal Orc archers without a scratch.. They only lose an occasional baby. Average stands at losing 0.66 baby / siege.  ;D
But now. I have a little question.. I would like to clean up the post-sieges mess in my fort, for I have missed out on 2 years of caravans due to unfortunate siege timing. For this I want to turn off sieges for a year or so.
My question is: If I turn off sieges, will they resume normally if I turn the init option back on?

Edit: Also, add me to the list
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:56:02 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 21, 2009, 01:04:29 am »

My fort is well established into it's 11th year by now and my military is feared by Orcs around the world. The only things I don't take on head-on are Orc elite archers.. Bit paranoia, since they killed some of my elite marksdwarves in the early years of the fort, right through my tower's fortifications. Although I should try again if another one turns up. Everyone is clad in exceptional / masterwork full plate / chain, with GCS chitin leather underneath it, and all are legendary shield/armor users. They take out squads of normal Orc archers without a scratch.. They only lose an occasional baby. Average stands at losing 0.66 baby / siege.  ;D
But now. I have a little question.. I would like to clean up the post-sieges mess in my fort, for I have missed out on 2 years of caravans due to unfortunate siege timing. For this I want to turn off sieges for a year or so.
My question is: If I turn off sieges, will they resume normally if I turn the init option back on?

Edit: Also, add me to the list

I have no idea  ???. I would suggest building a guarded road for the caravans to traverse. Marksdwarf towers, pits, traps, magma ahoy! That and you should keep your army guarding the forward parts of the road. The caravan guards will help you fight the enemy off and the caravan will only leave if enough of its merchants are killed off.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2009, 01:56:27 am »

Yeah I know.. I have that setup.
Problem is, siege arrives before the caravan, so the caravan does not show up at all :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2009, 06:22:45 am »

As you can see, there is a small text problem with orcs, since they lack names.  You probably already knew this.

Edit:  I got another dwarf who was surrounded by leather armor. ??  ??  Well, it IS one of the things he likes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:24:58 am by eviscerator »

Electro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2009, 06:24:54 am »

So then, my experience so far.

I've gotten to my 6th year this fort, and have 140 dorfs so far. I've tweaked away trap_avoid aswell since that didnt make any sense, only have 6 weapontraps anyways so i hardly misusing it. Tweaked the progress_trigger to goblin standards since i got frustrated by them arriving before i had a chance to do anything, forcing me to wall myself up. But for the next fort i will probably lower that again a bit since this was a bit too easy.

I much enjoy the new metals and alloys, much because im a hoarder but also since it adds new flavor.
I like the sieges more than ever now since now i actually have to watch it, and not only see seiges as a source of goblinite.

one thing im wondering about is, where is all the 60orc sieges? my last siege was with 2 groups, totalling some 20 orcs. with 140 dorfs thats rather easy.
Could it be that i also have goblins siege me and thus the orcs dont control that much land or something?

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:52 am »

Also, Patterned Steel doesn't seem to be available for armor for some reason??
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57