Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176202 times)

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER 1.01 Release]
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2009, 04:00:55 pm »

Psst. Tiny little error: in the raws, the granite golem's name shows up as the gold golem, instead. Otherwise, this mod is absolutely fantastic! You can tell there's a lot of effort in this thing.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:11 am »

Man this doesn't mess around, discovered the Mayday dwarf fortress a week ago and after making three forts to various stages I found myself annoyed at the the lack of attacks so I decided to try some mods.  Got this one yesterday and gave it a whirl.  First winter of my fort, no immigrants yet (Been exporting like mad too =( ) and almost immediately a vile force of orcs arrive!  7 wrestlers and 8 bowmen orcs VS... uh.... 7 unarmed dwarves with no military to speak of.  But they have levers!  Precious, precious levers!

I'll admit I'm a sucker for hidiously complex death traps

Friggin fisherdwarf was nine miles away when they came and got cut off sadly, but the rest of the orcs (Save the few that broke off to violate the fisherdwarf with arrows) promptly drowned leaving me giant piles of stuff, glee!

Gotta say, really loving this so far, awesome work  =D

Nnever really dealt with nobles yet so sort of worried about 'em, hordes of ravenous orcs are one thing, but damn whiny nobles gonna be the death of me I fear

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »

Hmm, I still haven't seen the absurdly high damage that you claim. I kicked the butt of an orc siege (mostly wrestlers) with a largely untrained army, this being the spring of the second year. I lost one dwarf our of sixteen. One dwarf.

It's not absurdly high damage. Its absurdly high base damage for a fist. Titans, for instance, have 1:2 damage with their fist. Size modifies it, but that has nothing to do with the fact that an unarmed attack for a "normal" fist is 1:2.

Giving orcs 1:6 implies that they have "special" fists or something.

Also, didn't The13thRonin just say that damage depends on size, not just the damage modifiers?
Ie. Demons with damage 1:6 do more damage than orcs with 1:6 because they are bigger. So titans with 1:2 and size 20 could do more actual damage than orcs even though orcs have bigger damage modifiers?

I know damage depends on size. However, the BASE damage for an attack is based on the type of thing used. IE, a snakeman bites for 1:6. A normal creature's fist (A grasping hand used for an unarmed attack) does 1:2. Right now, orcs have "Snakemen bite attack" fists.

... If you wonder why you get (and should get) massacred if you charge a siege of seasoned fighters with peasants then I have nothing to say. Trying to attack a superior force with untrained militia and then complaining that you got everyone killed? What gives?

I'm not complaining that everyone died. I'm saying that everyone died, except for three people, which was actually rather badass. My point was that if I would have left the broken orc base damage in, we would have been slaughtered utterly.

Currently the AI is really, really stupid. If there is a path, they will charge through it. No matter if noone has ever come back alive from that corridor, or if they just watched their mates get sliced to pieces by glass serrated disks. Giving orcs trapavoid forces players to rely on something other than the oh-so-exploitable trap corridors. Sure, you could play without relying on trap corridors. And sure, you can still make exploitable traps like water-filled corridors and the like. But part of the appeal of this mod is that it forces players to rethink DF strategy. If a corridor lined with traps no longer keeps you safe, and you no longer can swarm invaders with untrained wrestlers, the game gets a whole new kind of urgency. Now there is actually a reason to build intricate defenses.

The answer to this problem is simple. If a player wishes to exploit the retarded AI and build 3298734 traps, then that player shouldn't complain about it being "too easy". On the other hand, someone who builds a moderate amount of traps tactically shouldn't have to be "forced" to rethink a strategy.

I'll take realism over gameplay any day of the week, to any extreme.

P.S. Actually 1d6 makes their attack to depend on their skill more, which makes sense. If they had 1d2 or 1d3 they'd hit like horses/cows (which have too low damage IMO, horsekick should be deadly in most cases to an unarmored person).

So a goblin does 1:2, a human does 1:2, a titan does 1:2, and an orc does 1:6. Does this mean that your typical orc is a monk? Some kind of martial arts guy? Maybe they wear leather gloves with lead shot in them at all times? They have adamantium knuckles?

Also, consider that horses DO kick excessively hard in this game, because of their size modifier. 1:2 damage is acceptable when you factor in size bonuses for ANY creature. Giving orcs a 1:6 fist damage is basically giving them a claw attack that does bludgeoning. That wouldn't be a bad thing if it wouldnt try to get passed off as a "Fist attack", or swept under the rug with cries of "Its challenging".

It's unrealistic, that's all.

Anyway, if it's too hard for you mod the orcs and shut up.

I did mod the orcs to the standard 1:2 bludgeon damage for a creature with a normally shaped fist. Their size modifier will increase that to a realistic level, and any levels of Wrestling will further increase that.

...And it was never "too hard" for me. I played with the original orc mod, which stupidly had their damage at 4:8 (Which was obscene). Nothing is "too hard" is Dwarf Fortress, just "realistic and acceptable" or "gamey nonsense that detracts from ambient flavor". Orcs with NOPAIN, NOFEAR (Possibly NOSTUN), 1:2 Bludgeoning, LOCKPICKER, all seasons active, iron weapons of doom, those are "realistic and acceptable".

Orcs with fists that do the same base damage as the fanged maw of a snakeman for "more challenge" would be classified as "gamey nonsense...".

Hell, for extra challenge I've modded the Orcs to be size 14 and called them "Hordebeasts". Nomadic giants that raid for survival and generally wipe out settlements. They hit HARD, they have HUGE weapons...
...And they still only do 1:2 base damage with a fist.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »

Using the example of a bite:

A Dwarf does [ATTACK:1:1:GORE] whereas a Blizzard Man does [ATTACK:1:4:GORE] and an Ice Wolf does [ATTACK:1:6:GORE].

Logically we can infer that different creatures would do different amounts of damage regardless of size. Not all kicks or bites or punches are equally painful. And it is this assumption that led to our current carp over-damage problem. A fish should not be able to bite as hard as a wolf.

We can also infer that getting punched by this:

is going to hurt a lot, lot more than getting punched by this:

Orcs are a race of warriors bred for little other than fighting, pillaging and conquering. They have a brute strength, rage and barbarity in combat that is not present in the other races.

I'm sorry but it seems that you do not have a very broad knowledge of the RAWS or the damage formula. Orcs are not overpowered and if I was going to lower anything it would definitely not be their damage.

I did mod the orcs to the standard 1:2 bludgeon damage for a creature with a normally shaped fist

There is no such thing as a standard fist just as there is no such thing as a standard jaw, hence the discrepancies in bite damage. Just because every creature has fists, muscles and arms do not mean that every creature's is the same... The dainty elves if anything should do much less wrestling damage, something I will be fixing in future updates.

Instead of expecting the mod to change around you perhaps you should attempt to change your tactics. 'Zerg rushing' opponents with untrained militia generally has never been a good idea in history...

See the Battle of Thermopylae where Greek forces inflicted casualties 20 to 40 times greater (depending on who you ask) on the enemy than that of which they took. Although there are countless examples in history. Look at the casualties Russia took in both World Wars. You can try to 'zerg' your opponents but I intend to make it so that if you do this even if you win it will be a Pyrrhic victory. This is intended.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:02:01 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2009, 10:10:27 am »

Logically we can infer that different creatures would do different amounts of damage regardless of size. Not all kicks or bites or punches are equally painful.

Right. I agree. Creatures with horrible, tearing teeth tend to do more base damage than say, a dwarf.

We can also infer that getting punched by this:

Except that example shows an orcish type figure with a metal katar-ish type gauntlet. Orcs don't do more base damage because of a peice of equipment. In fact, Orc wrestlers are naked.

Orcs are a race of warriors bred for little other than fighting, pillaging and conquering. They have a brute strength, rage and barbarity in combat that is not present in the other races.

Yeah. Hence NOPAIN, NOFEAR. An unstoppable savage horde who brings themselves to a frenzy before charging a fortress, etc, etc.

I'm sorry but it seems that you do not have a very broad knowledge of the RAWS or the damage formula. Orcs are not overpowered and if I was going to lower anything it would definitely not be their damage.

Orcs arent overpowered, they are UNREALISTIC. Overpowered would be making them size 70 just for damage modifiers. Unrealistic is making a standard grasp-limb attack do three times as much damage as every other five fingered fist o' doom in the game.

There is no such thing as a standard fist just as there is no such thing as a standard jaw, hence the discrepancies in bite damage. Just because every creature has fists, muscles and arms do not mean that every creature's is the same... The dainty elves if anything should do much less wrestling damage, something I will be fixing in future updates.

No. Now you are stepping into the realm of bone density and other abstract concepts for explaining base damage, and if that's the case, then creatures such as Titans would have massive base damage potential. Getting hit with a fist the size of a door with a thickness and weight akin to a stone isn't 1:2 damage. However, according to the raws, it is.

Instead of expecting the mod to change around you perhaps you should attempt to change your tactics. 'Zerg rushing' opponents with untrained militia....

I really shouldn't have to say this more than once. I don't care how "difficult" the orcs are. I care how logical and realistic they are. To sum up the problem, and the reason I shared my "zerg" experience..

...Orcs should not two shot anything with a punch. Four Orc Wrestlers have absolutely no logical reason to obliterate 50 "unarmed peasant rabble scum worthless booboo blah blah". They would realistically get overwhelmed and savaged to death. These are NOT giants, these are size (if I remember correctly) 9 savage creatures, who seemingly (without me modding my files) have kung fu training. Either that or their fists are made of obsidian. Rofl.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2009, 10:43:49 am »

Orcs arent overpowered, they are UNREALISTIC.

Oh yes. Because Dwarf Fortress is otherwise totally realistic. Nope, brewers don't need water, nevermind the skeletal elephants or other fantastic creatures. Those are completely realistic. But oh no! Perceived discrepancy between abstract stats in raws! CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD!
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2009, 12:04:55 pm »

Firstly I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and say that Orcs are Not too tough for the simple reason that you don't have to fight them. If you want to avoid fighting them, plonk a few marksdwarves on a tower or even set up spears to a lever and go to town on their fleshy bodies.

Secondly, The13thRonin I am very much a big fan of your Mod, its the first one besides Rysith's that I've stuck with for more than a fortress or two. Also thanks to this mod for the first time in a ages I've actually had some close calls in fortress mode and enjoyable experience and one I am thankful for no end.

That in mind I ask of you good sir "Add Me!"
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:52 pm »

Thanks Pyrophoricity, that's really nice of you  :).

I really want to release some critical fixes (AKA - current trading bug) and I will do ASAP but this week I literally have had NO TIME AT ALL to do so... I'm being taxed very hard by school and haven't gotten any sleep for at least three days... (Grr...)

I will resume working on the mod ASAP.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2009, 06:32:28 pm »

Orcs arent overpowered, they are UNREALISTIC.

Oh yes. Because Dwarf Fortress is otherwise totally realistic. Nope, brewers don't need water, nevermind the skeletal elephants or other fantastic creatures. Those are completely realistic. But oh no! Perceived discrepancy between abstract stats in raws! CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD!

Skeletal elephants are realistic for the game setting. Orcs with power fists are not.

And as for the brewer issue - you just pulled an unimplemented problem out to describe what you believe to be an example of WAD unrealism. Lawl.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2009, 08:36:45 pm »

no offense but if you have a hard time dealing with orc's,then your not thinking out the problem theatrically. to me Orc's are quite slow,and a lonesome marks dwarf can take one out (if they have the ammo) and about 2 fully equipped spear men with about proficient skill in spear AND wrestling can take him out (though,you might lose one,or maybe suffer injuries) and wrestlers will hold them down for a while,so you might be able to charge a army of peasants at them (ya know,the annoying bastards that gets on everyone's nerves)to distract him (or them) as you cn launch a hellish army of axemen to cripple them to nothing.

now,i don't know how many TRAINED dogs it takes to take them down,so prob not a good idea,unless you have a mass shitload of cougars to launch at em
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

doomender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:40 pm »

Hmmm. When I try to start up the mod, it gives me error message "Gloss LAVENDAR JADE not present."
I can edit that out, but just so you know.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »

Sounds fun, I think I may play on this.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER 1.2 Release]
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2009, 09:08:54 am »

Version 1.2 RELEASED!!

A lot of bug-fixes, some tweaks and about 25-35 new additions... Dig in guys  ;).

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

Sweet!
... is there a changelog available?
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »

Sweet!
... is there a changelog available?

New README's in spoilers on the front page.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57