Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176341 times)

doomender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER 1.01 Release]
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2009, 01:12:16 pm »

This is an awesome mod.
Unfortunately, I'm not willing to play it, yet, since I am too attached to my newest fort.
I will try the soonest I can, though.

Since nobody seems to want to rate it, I've taken the liberty of... helping that along.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »

*sigh*
Orc siege first winter, I have a whole barricade set up so they can't path into my fort but it doesn't stop them from raping my outdoor productivity with job spam.

Orc hammermen are virtually unkillable with my no quality bone bolts.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2009, 09:29:50 am »

I've been playing for a couple of days with this mod, and I must say I'm a fan of it. Although, I have a question after looking into the raws:

Native mithril seems to have CLUSTER in it's ENVIRONMENT tag. However, it's located in platinum, gold and silver, which are veins, or even small clusters in the case of platinum. Wouldn't this cause trouble, seeing you're trying to get microcline/orthoclase/magnetite/...-sized clusters in veins, which are inherently smaller? And wouldn't you want to replace it with CLUSTER_SMALL?

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

I've been playing for a couple of days with this mod, and I must say I'm a fan of it. Although, I have a question after looking into the raws:

Native mithril seems to have CLUSTER in it's ENVIRONMENT tag. However, it's located in platinum, gold and silver, which are veins, or even small clusters in the case of platinum. Wouldn't this cause trouble, seeing you're trying to get microcline/orthoclase/magnetite/...-sized clusters in veins, which are inherently smaller? And wouldn't you want to replace it with CLUSTER_SMALL?

Oh? Have you noticed any problems in-game? I assumed clusters were inherently small and small_clusters was just smaller! The problem with giving mithril small_clusters is then it gives the player a very, very tiny amount to play with. I guess I will change it if it's necessary and creating problems though.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2009, 03:19:00 pm »

I haven't had any problems, or found some in the errorlog. It might be because there aren't any, but then again it seems illogical to place a large cluster in a vein. And instead of giving it CLUSTER or CLUSTER_SMALL,you could go for VEIN and maybe reduce the occurrence? So you get something like:
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:50]
This way it won't be over abundant, but if you find it there's enough to make some armour/weapons/... Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Akreaveter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »

Works wonderfully for me so far, except for one problem..

During the first year, when my caravan/liaison came by, I didn't have a trade depot set up yet.  I built it right then, so the mules at least came by to unpack.. but they carried nothing.  I figured it may have just been my fault.. but then the elves came by, who also carried nothing.

Not sure what will happen when an actual wagon comes in.. just barely into the second year.  Time to go find out.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2009, 08:41:17 pm »

Works wonderfully for me so far, except for one problem..

During the first year, when my caravan/liaison came by, I didn't have a trade depot set up yet.  I built it right then, so the mules at least came by to unpack.. but they carried nothing.  I figured it may have just been my fault.. but then the elves came by, who also carried nothing.

Not sure what will happen when an actual wagon comes in.. just barely into the second year.  Time to go find out.

That's one weird ass bug...  :o

I'll try to replicate it.

Same with the magma forge thing although I'm almost certain that's not Dig Deeper's fault.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2009, 02:20:49 am »

I think I had the same no-item traders problem a while ago. I might've had a depot already set up, but i can't remember.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jwguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:17 am »

Sad to see that the mod causes sieges to happen at ~10-15 dwarves (Or so was the case with myself, the first with 10 Orcs, the second with a full wave of about 45+ when we only had 30 dwarves, including Elite Bowmen and Macelord Orcs.) That's something that should probably be mentioned, seriously. I am fairly certain it was not, in the readme, but if it were, retracted. It also seems that Orcs are counted as regular animals, since they don't have names until they kill one of my dwarves.

The Mod looks neat on the readme, but when played with, it performs less than admirably, especially in that in seems to overwrite goblins (Everytime I generate a world, Goblins are -gone-. 75 years, all races but goblins and kobolds appear, however, Kobolds still come to the fortress), and the siege problems which overwhelm with inappropriate difficulty at such an early time. I've managed to fight off two waves, each time sustaining heavy casualties to my fortress, and now tantrums are going on and off everywhere.

Potentially a good mod, but without some much needed adjustments, I can't really say so.

EDIT:

Third Year's Winter, Surviving 34 dwarves faced 60+ Orcs. I only managed with trade caravan guards and an entirely militarized fortress. Elite Orc Bowmen sniped down the Corridors of traps at my dwarves, killing many without any resistance, forcing me to send the Melee and Ranged fighters in. 10 dwarves made survived, eight severely injured with wounds they'll likely never recover from.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:41:25 am by Jwguy »
I love the needlessly sarcastic, sardonic, and cynical masses. Mostly because 10% of them are simply like that, while the other 90% thinks it makes them look cool. Morons~

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »

It's meant to be hard, I think that's a given. I simply refuse to water down the difficulty of the mod. This mod is for experienced Dwarf Fortress users wanting something more... Something a bit harder...

As for the goblins... They survive, I've never had them completely wiped out, just seen them confined to one corner of the map. But if the cost of having the orcs in is less goblin populations then I'm more than happy to make that sacrifice.

Third Year's Winter, Surviving 34 dwarves faced 60+ Orcs. I only managed with trade caravan guards and an entirely militarized fortress. Elite Orc Bowmen sniped down the Corridors of traps at my dwarves, killing many without any resistance, forcing me to send the Melee and Ranged fighters in. 10 dwarves made survived, eight severely injured with wounds they'll likely never recover from.

Welcome to fun!

Also about the orcs being nameless: a) I can't change this as if I give the orcs the [CANSPEAK] tag they'll start sending you trade caravans. However I kind of like the idea of a fortress being assaulted by nameless hordes of vicious orcs... It gives the world something a bit more scary than the pansy elves.

EDIT: I'm sorry to hear you did not have fun with the mod. I suggest you try one of the other ones that doesn't focus on making the game more difficult. Try Civilization Forge or Dwarf Fortress Complete.

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2009, 12:16:06 am »

I had the same issues as Jwguy.  One can either remove the orc files in the raws or just turn off invaders.  Just turn invaders back on when you are ready to deal with them.

As for me though, it really changed how I played.  Yes it was frustrating to be destroyed in under a year.  But, it made me rethink my old defenses.  I wussed out and removed the [avoidtraps] though, but I never really relied on traps when it came to the orcs.  It was more of a last ditch effort.  Before I was able to defend myself reliably, I would just close up the fortress so no one could get in or out.  This did cause issues with the caravans though, but I worked around it.  I ended up digging out a series of tunnels that led to strategically placed guard towers.  When I was sieged, I had 4 squads of archers that would pick off the non bow users.  Depending on which tower they were near.  When it came to bow users I usually just locked myself inside.  Using the floodgates (the way I sealed myself in) to get them to move tward my fortress I could pick off a lot of them.  By the time they got to my fortress my melee units would take them out.  I always seemed to loose a few, but that's war I guess.

I still did get sieged by the goblins, it just wasn't near as often as the orcs.  And with all of the steel the orcs bring, it started to become easier and easier to defend against them.  Champions in steel are pretty tough.  Even against the orcs.

I am currently playing the mod with orcs removed.  Right now, I'm more in just playing sandbox mode with a little excitement now and then.  I even had invaders turn off completely for a while.
Life is short, live it.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:01 am »

I had the same issues as Jwguy.  One can either remove the orc files in the raws or just turn off invaders.  Just turn invaders back on when you are ready to deal with them.

As for me though, it really changed how I played.  Yes it was frustrating to be destroyed in under a year.  But, it made me rethink my old defenses.  I wussed out and removed the [avoidtraps] though, but I never really relied on traps when it came to the orcs.  It was more of a last ditch effort.  Before I was able to defend myself reliably, I would just close up the fortress so no one could get in or out.  This did cause issues with the caravans though, but I worked around it.  I ended up digging out a series of tunnels that led to strategically placed guard towers.  When I was sieged, I had 4 squads of archers that would pick off the non bow users.  Depending on which tower they were near.  When it came to bow users I usually just locked myself inside.  Using the floodgates (the way I sealed myself in) to get them to move tward my fortress I could pick off a lot of them.  By the time they got to my fortress my melee units would take them out.  I always seemed to loose a few, but that's war I guess.

I still did get sieged by the goblins, it just wasn't near as often as the orcs.  And with all of the steel the orcs bring, it started to become easier and easier to defend against them.  Champions in steel are pretty tough.  Even against the orcs.

I am currently playing the mod with orcs removed.  Right now, I'm more in just playing sandbox mode with a little excitement now and then.  I even had invaders turn off completely for a while.

I find that TRAPAVOID makes users be a bit more inventive with their traps. Moats... Supports that are rigged to blow and cause cave-ins... That sort of thing...

As for losing a few men in battle... You can't expect the dwarves to never take a scratch! You have to earn your victory in blood  :P. However if you want to wimp out you may order all your inhabitants to stay INSIDE the fortress. Not even the orcs can beat down doors (last time I checked them). And I don't think they have any mounts capable of doing so either. So you CAN wait them out but you won't be able to trade/deforest/fish... But again... That's what a siege is...

Jwguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2009, 10:24:24 am »

If that is the case, 13th Ronin, it'd probably be better that you actually include the details of difficulty in your readme and upload directories. As I said before, I believe I gave them a very thorough run-down, and I believe they are not, but I may be wrong.

Without that, it seems less as though you intended it, and more as though you seemed to blunder about it. After knowing what to expect from the mod, I prepared appropriately, and can and do survive without much, if any problems. The issue is that these details seem to have gone completely unspoken in your readme, and that's what bothers me.

You'd think since the mod was meant for the difficulty, that it'd be mentioned. Suprises are good for some people, but generally, with mods for games, a detailed list with the intent of changes, as well as the itemized list thereafter, is the best course of action.

And also, I must disagree on your comment about never expecting my dwarves to take a scratch. I pride myself on being able to come up with strategies that allow my dwarves to never -have- to take anything, as fun as it might be to the otherwise, and as much as I love the ASCII brutality of DF combat. Winning with clever ingenuity and design is just as dwarven as hacking at their necks with an axe. The current fortress, as said, can deal the orcs off with little to no difficulty, whether by killing them, or simply outlasting them. The Fortress is entirely self-sufficient and protected, a goal I had to start on much earlier than usual.

I digress, though, and perhaps the Goblins is simply a local problem of mine, however unlikely it would be, having simply plugged the mod over my vanilla copy of DF. I still cannot seem to locate them on the four or five worlds I've generated, even after modding them into Adventurer mode to check. Also, if difficulty is your goal, why don't you just work towards having the Goblins and Orcs siege in tandem? That'd seem much better, I'd think, and honestly, that's what I was hoping for in this mod.

Opposingly, on the issue of orcs, there was never a problem with goblins sending caravans, and yet they all had names? I am fairly sure, because of that, that it's possible, whether that includes the [CANSPEAK] tag or not.

On another note, I've found that a hell of a lot of stone types have been moved to economic instead of other stone, category-wise. I try to make blocks of Alunite, only to find that my dwarves won't touch the stuff because the stone list is all skewered.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:26:43 am by Jwguy »
I love the needlessly sarcastic, sardonic, and cynical masses. Mostly because 10% of them are simply like that, while the other 90% thinks it makes them look cool. Morons~

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:08 pm »

On another note, I've found that a hell of a lot of stone types have been moved to economic instead of other stone, category-wise. I try to make blocks of Alunite, only to find that my dwarves won't touch the stuff because the stone list is all skewered.

This is the economy stone mod, or something like that.  It makes all stone this way, so you can have more control over what you make out of what.  I didn't realize this at first either.

I seem to play a lot like you Jwguy.  I don't like loosing any dwarfs.  Although with this mod installed, I was just thrilled when I only lost one or two.  :)  I personally play DF more for the sandbox than the challenge though.  Not all times but most of the time.
Life is short, live it.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

I hate the economy stone thing

I like putting economic stone piles by my masons so they make valuable furniture.

I have not experienced the no trade items with caravans, depot built before or after.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57