Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176205 times)

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
Re: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B
« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:34 pm »

Eh, it's close enough.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 09, 2010, 04:15:50 am »

Eh, it's close enough.

Not really, I'll provide a zip within the next few days for you mac people though :).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »

Is there a Macintosh version of this? The download is .rar, and I have no way to open that sort of file...
EDIT: Dur... Dig Dwarfier is .zip. I guess I'll go with that.
You can actually open a rar file.  Just use 7-zip, which is free and (I believe) open source.  It can be run on quite a number of systems and you can get it here:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:27 am »

Since we can apparently refine titanium from rutile, shouldn't we also be able to extract it from ilmenite? Here's a quote from wikipedia:

Raw ilmenite is refined by decreasing the iron content. Carbon (anthracite) is used to convert some of the iron oxide in the ilmenite to metallic iron. The products of this process are molten iron (pig iron) and a slag rich in titanium. A related process is the Becher process.

So something like

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:TITANIUM_MAKING2]
[NAME:make titanium bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:2:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:ILMENITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TITANIUM]
[PRODUCT:25:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[FUEL]

Not really sure if the pig iron is necessary. Could just make it 1 coal + 1 ilmenite -> 1 Ti
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:23 am »

The chemical formula for ilmenite is FeTiO3 (Fe is iron, Ti is titanium an O is oxygen).

This means that the amount of iron = the amount of titanium in ilmenite, so logically any reaction that refines ilmenite should produce equal amounts of both metals (and 3 times as much oxygen).

The problem is that you can easily strip the iron from ilmenite in a blast furnace, but you can not strip the titanium (or the oxygen) from the ilmenite through the same reaction. It goes something like ilmenite + coke + flux > pig iron* + slag (rich in Ti, basically it is everything in the ilmenite that was not iron + everything in the flux + residue of the coke). You can then chemically treat the slag with acids, bases and other fun stuff to get TiO, TiO2 (rutile), TiO3 (and a different kind of slag) which you can then feed into the rutile > titanium process.

The big problem is that titanium is very reactive with oxygen (just like aluminum), more so than iron or carbon (you can strip the oxygen from iron ore, all iron ores are Fe#O#, because the oxygen would rather hang out with the carbon than the iron, oxygen would rather hang out with titanium and aluminum than carbon, which is why pre-industrial tech can't smelt those ores and why you need the acids, bases and catalysts to refine them).

You can however reduce (strip the oxygen from it) ilmenite with coke to FeCTi (very hard, very brittle ceramic substance) which can be used to make Ti rich Alloy Steels (relatively rare, search ferrotitanium) or cutting tools.

You can also reduce rutile with copper or manganese (copper makes cuprotitanium, rather like a bronze made with aluminum; manganese makes manganotitanium which can be used to make Alloy Steels or further refined to the pure metals).

This is one of those situations where you have to get it stupidly hot to reduce it (like bauxite) or you have to perform some chemical tricks to get what you want out of it.

---

* just the way blast furnaces work they make pig iron which is then converted into iron and steel

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 11, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »

There is no graphic with the mod?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 12, 2010, 08:52:58 am »

There is no graphic with the mod?

well if you search you can easily find graphic mod for orcs
if those ''O''s bother you

and to answer youre question: no
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 15, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »

Have sunberries been removed from the list of growable aboveground plants?
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:26 pm »

Have sunberries been removed from the list of growable aboveground plants?

A quick check of the raws says they are still in there and unchanged. It may be a change in the code by Toady forcing them to be only in the certain biomes.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 16, 2010, 06:02:35 pm »

I love this mod, it's much more of a challenge than vanilla. Howerver, I have had one little problem; there are too many instument types. If a noble mandates the construction of, say, three bagpipes and you set a craftdwarf on Create Insturments/R, you just might be able to make one or two bagpipes before the mandate expires. I may have to introduce my mayor to my Migrant Rejection Office...

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 16, 2010, 06:18:57 pm »

What is Bloodmetal useful for? Obviously not weapons, because the guide says its to brittle to be worked into weapons...
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 19, 2010, 06:37:18 am »

I believe it can be alloyed with other metals (iron IIRC?) to create very effective weapons-grade metal.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:34 pm »

Geese are rather annoying, and seem to be the only inhabitants of my river.

I have lost more Dwarves to geese than any other animal.  They are truly vicious.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 19, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »

For some reason the Stegosaurus bones have a base value of 0. :(

Is this a Dig Deeper bug? Anyone know how I set the value of bone in a raw tag? This is rather annoying. Even the leather is worthless.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:29:45 pm by lastofthelight »

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:49 am »

Is crucible steel magma-proof?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57