Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180488 times)

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #585 on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:48 pm »

Wait what? when all local leaders die, they stop comming :(? Well I got 12 leaders left.
ey

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
« Reply #586 on: November 25, 2009, 09:35:35 pm »

"Moonstone 16:
Armok have mercy, the orcs are across the bridge.  Hurry, get the civilians into the underground quarry.  Tell that miner chap to grab his pick, skulls need splitting.  We make our stand here.  We breathe our last breath here.

Moonstone 17:
The Axedorf and miner held them for mere minutes.  I can hear them chomping on our sheep in the pens above.  I know it's only time till they descend into these caverns and destroy us all.  We're not fighters, we stand no chance.  Armok have mercy....."

My god I love this mod.  Well done Ronin, well done.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:44:13 am by Jace_the_slasher »

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:11 pm »

yer i know but 10 pages! that like 50 orks against 7!

10 pages?! By my calculations, that's like two hundred and ten orcs on the warpath.

Was your entire site made of funnonite or something?
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 26, 2009, 02:19:49 am »

Is it normal to go my first year with no orcs?

Not unheard of. I've gone for a year and a half, then got a four squad siege (which, sadly, ended with all their local leaders dead, so after that it was just butchering goblin ambushes).

As for suggestions, I have a few.

1. Darkmetal is too easy to get if you embark in an obsidian biome. I think you intended for it to be rarer, but it's a metal that right out of the smelter is harder than steel and in obsidian layers it's about as common as hematite in a sedimentary stone. I tried to write a mod where darkmetal was as hard as iron but makes darksteel by substituting it for iron in the steel reaction, but other changes I made broke it. Either way, Darkmetal is kind of imbalanced.

2. Bloodmetal could use some reactions too. I'd suggest either blood bronze, where it can be substituted for cassiterite, or crimson silver which just stretches your silver supply.

3. Cave Beehives have the same problem as Sweet Pods - too damn valuable. One Dwarven Honey is as valuable as an electrum bar. Dwarven Honey is in infinite supply, electrum is not. Anyone else see a problem with this? Guess I'm just weird, it bothers me.

Other than that I love it. It'd be kind of cool to see an easier version for newbies that sees the goblins siege from the start and the orcs ambushing and sieging later, but that's what broke my attempt at modding.

All very good suggestions. Will make the appropriate fixes.

PS - is it really true that when the local leaders die orcs stop coming? If true I'll have to fix that... :(

PPS - Busy with work for the next three-four days (sorry guys, I know I've been slack and Hearts of Iron 3 + Tropico 3 + Counter Strike Source + Simutrans have been distracting me!) but I'll try to get motivated to do some work on Dig Deeper after then. I really don't want the civ update to break the balance of the mod. It will be far from perfect but it'll be the first step on a long road to making the civs distinct from each other. I decided for the next arc I might start doing an overhaul on the value system and adding more metals... I love metals :).

"Moonstone 16:
Armok have mercy, the orcs are across the bridge.  Hurry, get the civilians into the underground quarry.  Tell that miner chap to grab his pick, skulls need splitting.  We make our stand here.  We breathe our last breath here.

Moonstone 17:
The Axedorf and miner held them for mere minutes.  I can hear them comping on our sheep in the pens above.  I know it's only time till they descend into these caverns and destroy us all.  We're not fighters, we stand no chance.  Armok have mercy....."

My god I love this mod.  Well done Ronin, well done.

It makes me happy to hear things like this, thanks :).

PPPS - The new version with the new civs should provide a much more accessible game for all... If you're looking for about the same challenge as vanilla DF you build away from orcs and near snotlings (like a species of orc/goblin runts, a cross between an old goblin and a kobold... Goblins have been made tougher to rival dwarves in the mountains. If you want a much harder challange you build near the dark elves and the orcs... The dark elves are going to be nasty... Not as tough and strong as the orcs but nasty in different, new and exciting ways...

NEW UPDATE: I managed to get a chance to put in some decent work today. I fixed the outstanding great helmet bug, where dwarves couldn't equip it. I also fixed blackmetal to be much, much less common. I created a new metal called crimson silver which is a combination of silver and bloodmetal and I continued work on the civilizations polishing off the ORCS and DWARVES for this update as well as striking a nice balance between each civ. Just have to do some tweaking to GOBLINS, HUMANS... Etc now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:17:57 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 27, 2009, 01:13:32 pm »

Ok I am having a problem, since my first game pretty much every new start up lacks orcs.  It will show them as hostile to me pre-embark, but after I embark and check my civ screen they are not there.  I have started about four or five games...should I tweak the orcs to make them breed like bunnies or something cause I wanna face hordes!  I haven't lost yet to the Dig Deeper mod, but from my first encounter with orcs my first game I wantz MOAR!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2009, 04:07:23 pm »

You do know that the fortress mode civ screen only lists civs that you've encountered right?

So for example it won't list humans or elves until they come to trade, or orcs until they first lay siege...

If you have a different problem please clarify...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 27, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »

Meh, didn't know that :P

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 29, 2009, 11:14:17 am »

really nice mod man! can't wait to kick some dark elf ass!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 29, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »

When the leaders die, they don't stop, but they sloooooooooow down. Last time I killed their leaders, I didn't see the orcs for four years and they they started sieging again with small squads.

I don't think you can keep them from stopping the invasion when their leaders die, but I did notice the goblins are much less likely to send their leaders than the orcs, same as the very rare sieges I got in Relentless Assault. Possibly it's related to their ethics, Toady may have weighted certain ethics or civ groups to be more aggressive. It's just a guess though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »

I just noticed a strange bug.. i Can't build magma smelters and forges (magma is discovered and my room is prepared). Whats up with that?

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »

How did you find the magma? Did you use a reveal program to find it? If so, that's why. Finding it naturally is what sets the flag in game that allows you to build them.
-st

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 29, 2009, 12:51:37 pm »

Didn't even know there was a reveal program... Found it naturally, are you experiencing the same bug or is it just me?

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 29, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »

I actually have not yet played a Dig Deeper game with magma yet, sadly. I just knew that was often the cause of people being unable to build magma powered buildings. I'm sorry, I don't actually know what to say to help you then.
-st

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:29 pm »

Yeah it really irritating.. DO anyone know wich RAW that contains the magma buildings?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 29, 2009, 01:31:20 pm »

Buildings are currently hardcoded. If you discovered the magma via reveal or if you reclaimed the site, odds are the "Magma buildings" flag hasn't been set yet. There are tools that will deal with that, or you can try again. Sry.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57