Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180447 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #525 on: November 04, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

Orcs are nasty buggers, no doubt about it. Beatable, sure, but the only thing that scarier than an orc siege in the first summer is a visit from some of the captain's megabeasts from LL (and even then Dig Deeper has nasty megas of it's own *GCSQ shudder*).

I have this sudden urge to rig a fight between a GCSQ and a Bane Dragon, just to see who wins. My money is on the Bane Dragon, but only because I think they have [NOSTUN] making the GCSQ's webs useless while the GCSQ is still vulnerable to fire. But you never know, I've seen the GCSQ disembowel a dwarf is mid quality steel armor inside of five rounds and 11 expert to legendary marksdwarves completely failed to even scratch the damn thing.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Wheatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 05, 2009, 02:02:13 am »

Bit of a late response to the response to my question here, sorry. Thanks for the info though. I got tired of waiting for a response so I started dropping random rocks in the lava. Alunite didn't melt and Mica too. So I used them for mechanisms.

Also another question. What kind of temperatures/biomes contain new, savage wildlife? I embarked in untamed wilds mountain/some sort of dull forest and the worst thing I got besides orcs were wolves. I'd like to see some of the added or just really mean wildlife. Even in vanilla the worst thing I got were predatory cats, not even giant ones. If I'm gonna be playing a difficult mod I want to go full on cruel. I've tried to avoid evil terrain since I really don't like the lack of leather the undead beasties suffer from, but if that's where all the action is I'll do it. If anyone's met some sort of really vicious wildlife that is the bane of their dwarves existence please share.

One last addition; this mod is fantastic. My first fort I played with my usual vanilla style and it only made it to its third spring. I blame my insufficient military and relatively slow metalworking industry. My miners kept kicking the bucket so I avoided mining out ores till they were at a good skill level. My other problem was my lack of solid exterior fortifications to make the orcs more manageable. I embarked into a hillside with some rock but there was a plateau above me that was really too much trouble. I had plans to destroy all ramps instead of just the ones that lead into my walled off nook but they never materialized until it was too late. I held off 4 orc invasions before a local leader and the biggest orc force I'd ever seen showed up and showed me what was what. I'd struggled but managed to kill the various lords they sent at me before but this leader's force was too much. Oh well, losing's fun!

Ultima33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:32 am »

Can I chop up some parts of your mod, like fish and plants, and put it in my mod if i give credit?

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 05, 2009, 06:14:04 am »

Bit of a late response to the response to my question here, sorry. Thanks for the info though. I got tired of waiting for a response so I started dropping random rocks in the lava. Alunite didn't melt and Mica too. So I used them for mechanisms.
Mica too? Darn, I see my README needs to be updated. Thanks for the info!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 05, 2009, 10:41:34 am »

Also another question. What kind of temperatures/biomes contain new, savage wildlife? I embarked in untamed wilds mountain/some sort of dull forest and the worst thing I got besides orcs were wolves. I'd like to see some of the added or just really mean wildlife. Even in vanilla the worst thing I got were predatory cats, not even giant ones. If I'm gonna be playing a difficult mod I want to go full on cruel. I've tried to avoid evil terrain since I really don't like the lack of leather the undead beasties suffer from, but if that's where all the action is I'll do it. If anyone's met some sort of really vicious wildlife that is the bane of their dwarves existence please share.

Embark in a terrifying biome. The slimes are worse than the orcs. The odds that you can kill them when they show up as you embark are very low unless you sacrifice half your embark package for a starting guard (which will hurt you in the mid term since you won't have the points for either food or an anvil. Terrifying biomes usually have monsters rather than undead. In my experience, haunted tends to be boring, sinister has undead, and terrifying has things like harpies, ogres, and trolls.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:26:41 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 05, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »

someone should start making graphics for this to that Stonesense - Isometric visualizer
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »

I have one little gripe about this mod: The symbol for Orc is a capital 'O'.  That's also the symbol, in the default tileset, for a standalone constructed wall.  So it's annoying trying to keep track of which capital Os are trying to kill me, and which are part of my fortress.  Is there some similar fantasy monster that would work here, instead of orc?

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 05, 2009, 08:30:07 pm »

I love this mod!!!
SO I get attacked by an ancient vampire and I send 4 legendary sword/wrestler/shield user dwarves to attack it.
im thinking it will be a piece of cake
then the vampire kills three of them and gives the other a red head wound and flies away
then a skeletal lama comes and beats the last champion to death
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »

Leonidas: seems like it would be simpler to just make orcs be lowercase 'o's instead.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:24 pm »

Leonidas: seems like it would be simpler to just make orcs be lowercase 'o's instead.
That would be good.  Is there an ini file that'll do it?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:36 pm »

That would be good.  Is there an ini file that'll do it?

Go into the RAWS and find creature_new_races then change line:

[TILE:'O'][COLOR:7:0:0]

to read:

[TILE:'o'][COLOR:7:0:0]

Can I chop up some parts of your mod, like fish and plants, and put it in my mod if i give credit?

Of course. Take what you need.

would be interesting if someone incorporated dinosaurs into this mod

There are already.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 06, 2009, 03:34:35 pm »

would be interesting if someone incorporated dinosaurs into this mod

There are already.

Holy crap, now I have to go find a savage tropical biome with magma. Holy friggin carp, a base defended by raptors and triceratops? I pity the orcs.

Edit: Don't try the whole "embark with leather and dogs" thing. I lost all the dogs and three of my starting seven in the first orc siege, and two more are wounded, plus losing one of the immigrants and another who is constantly passing out from a missing eye, I'll probably have to train her in something so she stops passing out. The farmer was tantrumming, but he calmed down. The furnituremaker threw a brief tantrum before passing out from his leg wound. This could get ugly.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:16:33 am by Grendus »

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 07, 2009, 03:07:56 am »

Is RUNNING FELSITE (stone) a feature? 0_o

UPD: Aww, its just catapult, sry :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:27:13 am by Morhem »
This day going to be perfect!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 07, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »

Well, the orc drowner works. After a failed attempt at killing the orcs by having my dwarves train as wrestlers and miners, I decided to try a ridiculously complicated trap. Essentially it's a pit with no exit short of manually disassembling a wall, connected via a floodgate to the brook. A series of retractable bridges overhead drop the orcs down, the floodgate opens, and they orcs drown.

The only downside is my dwarf liaison got dropped in. I nicknamed him "Orc chow" before he died though. Now I have to pump the room out, in retrospect designing the room without drainage was a bad idea on my part.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:35 pm »

Can someone just upload df with this put in already, for the love of god, I can build forts inside of vulcans, but I can't get this F*ing mod to work.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57