Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176113 times)

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2009, 09:37:26 am »

Yeah he shows up as friendly in the units screen, but he fucking loves trashing my buildings. Anyway I managed to fix the problem - despite being able to fly if he cannot path on the ground then he wont fly into my base. I used this to lure him from the edge of the screen, so I could build shit around him. I then built a tower up to where he was in the air, encased him in a 3x3x3 stone box, and saved the game. He was trapped but I thought what the hey, and collapsed the structure - it must have pancaked him into atoms, because there were no remains.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »

Jesus Kwisatz Haderach. This mod really is FUN. I've been destroyed six times by the orcs. Once, they came in the first Autumn. Usually, they come later, but after the first wave, they are not defeatable by any trick I know... that I've tried so far. Perhaps magma rushing them will work. Perhaps the only option is to shut off all contact with the outside world, and train the champions to demi-gods clad in masterful armour.

EDIT: Screw that. I'm going Kobold Mode on the wankers -- they sieged in early summer of the first year. Given that I was making four suits of bronze plate mail, I think that means they are attracted to wealth, like a psychic beacon. Therefore, bone, shell and leather.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:42:18 pm by AbuDhabi »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 24, 2009, 05:22:14 am »

Kobold Mode is working! :D

I've destroyed three sieges already, with minimal casualties among the military! Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the civilians. I'm down to about five workers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 24, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »

Kobold mode?

My last question didn't get answered.

Anyways, how do I 'install' the Mayday graphics into Dig Deeper? I realize that many of the new creatures won't have graphics, but I'm interested in trying out this mod. I think I'll remove the orcs since I'm looking for more resource and critter diversity mainly.

Edit: Oh yea, I don't have the vanilla version of 40D13 and the Mayday graphics modpack that I am using is version D11, so would it work if I inserted dig deeper into the mayday folder??
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:46:17 am by smjjames »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2009, 02:16:56 am »

Kobold mode?

Bone, leather and shell.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2009, 06:36:45 am »

Okay then on the kobold mode thing.

Still, could someone answer my question on using the Maydays graphics mod (with or without the changes included in the full Mayday mod) with Dig Deeper.

Edit: Actually, from the readme, looks like Dig Deeper has the stone mod (I think it's the same one as the ecostone mod mentioned in the readme) as well, just expanded to include the new stuff.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:55:01 am by smjjames »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2009, 05:27:05 pm »

I think installing tiles should be trivial - take a vanilla 40d and tiles 40d, compare the two. Apply what seems to be the difference to your target installation. (On the other hand, you could just learn to use a charset. I've found tiles to be exceptionally unreadable.)

Anyway, is there any reason why the orcs would have stopped coming? I want to kill more hordes. :(

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2009, 05:49:12 pm »

Couple of minor questions, has anyone had problems with Orc elite Bowmen turning up with no bows? at first they came with bows (I remember, 'cause the first marksman i ever had got shot by one through the fortification he was manning) but now, they don't see to be appearing with any, although the normal bowmen released a rather fearsome rain of arrows on 2 cats that got stuck outside now that was a spectacle, and also, i was gonna ask if anyone had problems getting dwarves to use ammo dropped by dead orc sieges, but then it occurred to me that Orcs use bows, and thus must drop arrows, whereas dwarves use crossbows, and need bolts, so i was rather an idiot there :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2009, 10:01:34 pm »

I do think it's funny that you didn't remove the goblins when you added the orcs. I just got a goblin ambush shortly after an orc siege. To give you an idea of how puny gobs are compared to orcs, I've modded my hammers to do 1 damage while my dwarves are sparring. I didn't bother to unmod them for the goblins, two hammerdwarves wiped them out with what accounts for the weakest weapon imaginable. Their hands would be more powerful, and after one blow I saw a goblin with red, brown, and gray wounds all throughout his torso.

For the record, I have an army of 20 soldiers, and that's barely enough to fight off the orcs. Two of the twenty with pitiful weapons were enough to kill the goblins. It's kind of pathetic really.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:03 pm »

It was a sad sad day for my dwarves.  I had installed this mod forgetting about orcs, and so while I planned out a huge area to mine my base I left all my supplies outside.  To my dismay, before I had got all of my base mined out, orcs attacked.  I quickly managed to retreat all my dwarves into the fort  safely except for two dwarves who died outside.  Looking at the surviving dwarves, I realized I left all my booze and food outside.  I didn't have the time or supplies to finish my farm/well project and my dwarves were quickly getting hungry.  Deciding to go for broke, I told all my dwarves to break open the seal on the fort and try to get the food.  Knowing that if at least one dwarf manages to get a barrel of food in the fort I had a chance of surviving.  It didn't work...

By the time the dwarves had gotten to the supplies the orcs were on them.  The orcs seperated into two groups, herding  my dwarves away from the fort and towards a gaint tunnel that lead to a dead end.  Knowing that the dwarves would most likely die, I had only one option left.  Drafting all my dwarves, I charged the orcs, hoping my legendary miner could turn the odds.  It ended in a massacre.  My dwarves had not harmed a single orc.  In the end, the only one injured dwarf was left.  He sat in the fortress, waiting as the orcs slowly killed off everything on the map before rushing in and killing him.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2009, 11:54:06 pm »

I've been Digging Deeper several times now, and wow... :D

My first two fort were lost to raptors (Yeah, I'm a masochist). After I gen a new words without them, I started feeling the orc challenge. My third fort was lost to a goblin ambush (They showed up just after the orc and killed my two remaining crippled dwarves. :p

For my fourth fort, I built a looooooong hallway full of stone-fall trap for defence. (Yeah, next time I'll read the raw before playing).

For my fifth fort, I decided to lock myself in the mountain. First siege went away, but while I was stockpiling some wood, a second siege came. I don't know why, but every single dwarf in my fortress decided that he didn't want to pull that lever. I drafted them all, and hid them in the bedrooms underground, hoping to dig an escape tunnel and send a dwarf on a suicide mission to lock the orc inside the fortress. Well, none of them had a pick, so my plan was an epic fail. I spend a nice moment looking the Orc Axelord picklocking the bedroom's door one by one and imagining the face of the dwarves hearing the screams of pain nearer and nearer and then the unique noise of somebody picking a lock... their lock!! :p

As for my sixth fort, I decided to fight back. I immediately started training 3 dwarves as Hammerdwarves while my smith was churning out steel armor and weapons. I crushed the first siege losing only one dwarf and two dogs. (I could have fared better, but my marksdwarf decided  that he absolutely needed to patrol the hallway 2 z-level under the battlfield).

Then during the next seasons, while all my dwarves were undrafted to help clen the mess, 3 squad showed up and killed them all. I couldn't help but think of the world "gangbang" when watching 15 Orcs hacking at my last, unconscious dwarf.  :( (For unknown reasons, my orcs were labelled as active for all seasons)

On an interesting sidenote, I'm no playing as an adventurer. And since I stopped creation in 25 to keep the megabeast alive, there is currently more failed Mountain Hall than active settlements on the world map. :p

Anyway, good job! However, If I could add a few suggestion....
First, definitely add the Building destroyer tag to the orcs. Even if it's not useful, having an horde of Orc pillager wreacking havoc in your fortress is just more realistic. :)
Second, if you plan to do some more work on the plants, could you please make a total conversion to real ones? I enjoy having my dwarves eating potatoes and oranges, but "Longland grass" jsut don't fit in. :/
Third, I don't know if you can do something about it, but since I installed your mod, I never get any migrant on the first two years (And sometimes even later). And fighting 45 Orcs with 7 dwarves is just not possible.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 29, 2009, 06:34:31 am »

For my fourth fort, I built a looooooong hallway full of stone-fall trap for defence. (Yeah, next time I'll read the raw before playing).

First, definitely add the Building destroyer tag to the orcs. Even if it's not useful, having an horde of Orc pillager wreacking havoc in your fortress is just more realistic. :)

I myself took away the Orcs trap avoidance tag, i just didn't see how a big hulking orc would be agile enough to avoid having a block of limestone dropped on their head :P

And it aint hard to add  the building destryoed tag, i may do that myself actually...

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 29, 2009, 08:38:28 am »

Nice mod! Love all the new stuff in it :)
Seems to work great with 40d16 aswell (Just remember to gen a new world).
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 29, 2009, 08:50:20 am »

Sheb, I never had your problem with immigrants. It's possible that since you lost a dwarf to the siege immigrants didn't want to come, or it could be that you aren't building wealth fast enough for them.

What I usually do is bring along two untrained dwarves and have them mine for a season then switch them to wrestling. By this point I usually have a furnace industry up and running, so by the time they reach legendary wrestling I can forge them chain armor and hammers (always use blunt weapons against orcs, stuck weapons suck). When the orcs come, I draft my other miners and deck them out in chain as well, then hit the orcs with five or six armed and armored dwarves. Of course, since I modded the orc's triggers slightly (set production and trade triggers to 2, but pop is still 1) I usually don't get sieges until after my first migrant wave, but even then it's not as huge a deal as you think. It just takes some preparation.

Alternatively, you can lock yourself in. I almost did that for my first siege in this fort, but I decided I didn't want to have to sort through all the elves crap that would invariably be left there when the berserked. I bought everything that wasn't large clothing for a single platinum goblet. I hateses the elves.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2009, 01:23:42 pm »

I myself took away the Orcs trap avoidance tag, i just didn't see how a big hulking orc would be agile enough to avoid having a block of limestone dropped on their head :P

And it aint hard to add  the building destryoed tag, i may do that myself actually...

Don't think of it as the orcs are dodging and avoiding you traps.  Instead think of it as they are so tough that falling rocks will simply shatter and fall harmlessly off the orcs, that weapon traps break after the weapon harmless bounces off the orc's tough skin which causes the orc to then snap the weapon in half, and that orcs smash out of the any cages they find themself in.

Anyways, I think I devised a safe method to fight orcs.  The idea to fight the orcs in giant rooms filled with cage traps.  Why? Because the cage traps will only activate when someone falls unconscious.  So when a dwarf knock an orc unconscious he doesn't waste the time to finish off the orc and instead will fight the remaining orcs, as the cage trap instantly activates and the orc is removed from the battle.  Also as soon as that orc is captured he is marked as killed in the eyes of the other orcs, leading to faster retreats from the orcs.  The cage trap will also trap dwarves too, but, if you think about it, this is also good because once a dwarf is knocked unconscious by a orc, he is pretty much dead, so when the cage trap activates, it will take the dwarf away from combat and save his life from a mortal blow from an orc.  Letting the dwarf live longer and giving him the chance to fight another day.  The only pitfalls I see with this is the rush of engineers trying to fill up the cage traps, but the engineer should have no problem as long as you haven't lost the battle becuase the engineer will just run away from the orcs if their still there and the orcs will be distracted by your military to try to chase the dwarf.

All in all, it seems like a good idea, and allows you to include orcs in your zoo without resorting to cave-ins or tag editing.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57