Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176254 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #390 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:26 am »

Netch are nowhere near that intense.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ratepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2009, 09:37:41 am »

I AM Digging Deeper...good job on the mod

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2009, 10:34:42 am »

I chucked a named orc (Vilewebbed the copper savant of Plauges, whos mr fancypants?) into my drowning pond (I dont like trapavoid, I only use stone and cage traps).  He had 27 pieces of jewelry on him made from what im assuming were his victims including 9 earrings (only in his right ear?) and a copper pick in his leg (yay free pick!).

Is this some sort of record?   Ive never had an enemy bring a weapon stuck in him before either.

Edit: turns out he was the one orc who got through when I pulled the drawbridge up too late on a previous fortress.  He pretty much gutted me single handedly
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:34:51 pm by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Angellus

« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:38 am »

Hmmm, I'm digging less deep due to being murdered all the time XD
Great mod!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 10, 2009, 05:08:56 am »

Loving the mod Ronin, I'm definatly digging deeper with the new release
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »

Is anyone else having geese dominate pretty much every embark situation? I got geese at my beachside fort, I got geese in my middle-of-the-forest fort, and I get geese on my mountain-by-forests forts (even when I'm using the mountainous Region tile, not the forest). I like that they make self-sustaining populations, so Hunters could have something to actually hunt, but I'm just seeing geese everywhere. Even in high-savagery embarks, I'm not seeing anything really beyond geese and the occasional flock of pheasants or rabbits. I actually went ahead and wiped them from my raws before generating my most recent world, just because there didn't seem to be any other way of getting variety. Hopefully I'll start getting large aquatic creatures again, now -- previously, those seemed replaced by the geese.

Is the geese everywhere behavior intended, and is anyone else seeing it too?

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »

there are geese in the mod? never seen 'em

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2009, 12:34:29 am »

Pretty awesome mod, although it has yet to get hard for me. In fact, the preponderance of pheasants has given my Dwarfs something easy to hunt in the wilderness. I have had a couple encounters with orcs, but my fort is using three cliff sides as natural walls so building a defensive position hasn't been too difficult.

I like the new varieties of foods and other craftables.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:52 am »

Downloaded and giving it a go.

No traps.  No missile weapons.  No locking doors, attackers will be faced toe to toe and eyeball to eyeball.

So far one siege, all orcs slaughtered in melee with no inuries to any soldier.  Except for the ones they already had from sparring.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2009, 07:25:31 pm »

Downloaded and giving it a go.

No traps.  No missile weapons.  No locking doors, attackers will be faced toe to toe and eyeball to eyeball.

So far one siege, all orcs slaughtered in melee with no inuries to any soldier.  Except for the ones they already had from sparring.

This is a real man... Everyone take note.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2009, 11:19:27 pm »

I tried the no-missiles challenge a few times, but found it impossible because 1) the orcs would sometimes arrive before I had more than my 7 starter dwarves, 2) if the orcs themselves came with missile weapons, casualties were usually high enough to start a no-migration spiral and 3) I just generally didn't have enough time to armor my dwarves, and without armor I lost too many recruits to sparring injuries. I think that the blackmetal weapons I was giving them might have been a bit too rough for the barracks floor, but I've yet to find a map with lots of sub100% metal and all of the micromanaging via forbid is really clumsy.

I abandoned my most recent Dig Deeper fortress because I overdid it defensively and it ceased to be challenging. All it took was [C]onstructions and replacing external doors with [l]inked [f]loodgates, and I was able to destroy sieges of 70+ orcs with no more than 6 marksdwarves. I let the corpses turn to bones, and voila! Enough ammunition to keep the cycle going indefinitely. If they showed up with archers I would usually lose the squad of 6, but it was so easy to just recruit more and send them out that I was still winning wars of attrition.

If there was a way to hard-code "orcs don't show up until at least the second year" I might try the no-missiles challenge again, but the only way to tune them is by using the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER*] tokens, which by definition means working with a grey area. I play at a fairly low FPS compared to most (35), so it takes a few hours just to reach my first Autumn caravan -- investing those few hours just to find that I get orcs before I get migrants was a waste of my time. The worst part is, there really isn't any way to race it; in order to get earlier/more plentiful migrants I need to aim for as high a production as I can early, but that also hits the very low [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION] token and means I get even earlier orcs!

I considered deleting all of their [PROGRESS_TRIGGER*] tokens except for population; that seems like a fair compromise. Even with the more plentiful coke, though, it's just so very labor intensive to get a squad of melee dwarves trained and armored without also crippling half of them. It also seems that I'd need to maintain over 50% of my population as military, which is all well and good except for the situations where the loss of a few dwarves starts a migration-dampening spiral which causes more casualties which means less migrants ... and so on.

iow, the orcs are challenging, but the same ol' same ol' tricks are still more than enough to trivialize them. By abusing the immutability of [C]onstructions and [f]loodgates, even the 7 starter dwarves with wood crossbows can defend themselves from almost any siege (opposing archers might be bad news, but the [F]ortification AI is pretty awful so sometimes their archers just stand there getting shot with impunity anyway). Without using those tried-and-true tactics, or other cheese like bridgesploits, the orcs remain challenging ... but possibly a little too much. That's just the nature of the randomness of the game, though, and as long as that randomness is there I'm not going to keep attempting the melee-only challenge; it's just far too likely to result in me having wasted several hours just to get sieged by 16 orcs against 7 recruits.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 14, 2009, 07:28:07 am »

Hmm..four years into my Dig Deeper fort and I have been visited by a Ancient vampire, only problem is he's friendly, despite being the ruler of the local goblins he shows up as friendly and refuses to attack any of my dwarves. Not sure if thats an issue with the creature itself or the game though but thought it'd put it out there.

It happens because it's still a MegaBeast and the game can pick it when looking for a MegaBeast to attack. It happened to me in my fort, when a Black Dragon who was the leader of some Goblins decided to show up.

Hilariously, this DOES NOT block other MegaBeasts from showing up. As in my case, where the very next season a Red Dragon showed up right next to the Black Dragon and they proceeded to duke it out over my fortress.

How well does this work with the Mayday graphics pack? I could certainly give this a try and having more variety of stuff to work with sounds cool. So are the Orks.

It works fine but, obviously, the modded in creatures are all missing graphics.

Yea it's a bit of a necro of my own post (not the thread), but just asking, how does Mayday's graphics mod display the various new metals, rocks, ore, etc? I'm wondering if the Dig Deeper mod has more of a variety of colors available than vanilla DF or if it's the same.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 14, 2009, 07:40:38 am »

I have been playing with this mod and i love it so far, but i have a question. It seems that i am getting much less immigrants, where before i would rarely get the Your fortress attracted no migrants this season, i've managed to actually have no migrants for 3 years in a row.

My army of 5 marksdwarves and 10 assorted axe/hammer/mace/spear/shortsword did their best against the increasingly larger orc sieges but the melee dwarves were caught outside in one siege and only 3 survived. Meanwhile careful use of a drawbridge has allowed my marksdwarves to rake up kills from the shooting tower and the 3 remaining melee dwarves finished off what made it through the doors.

Memorable Moment:

Urist McUrist cancels rest: Interrupted by Orc Axe Lord.

no shit!

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 14, 2009, 03:29:30 pm »

I Dug Deeper once, and it kicked my ass for several embarks.  Kept getting orc sieges with only 7 dwarves :(  Will probably try it again at some point but always having to try and defend with only 7 dwarves gets a bit tiresome at a point.

I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:20 pm »

Is anyone else having geese dominate pretty much every embark situation? I got geese at my beachside fort, I got geese in my middle-of-the-forest fort, and I get geese on my mountain-by-forests forts (even when I'm using the mountainous Region tile, not the forest). I like that they make self-sustaining populations, so Hunters could have something to actually hunt, but I'm just seeing geese everywhere. Even in high-savagery embarks, I'm not seeing anything really beyond geese and the occasional flock of pheasants or rabbits. I actually went ahead and wiped them from my raws before generating my most recent world, just because there didn't seem to be any other way of getting variety. Hopefully I'll start getting large aquatic creatures again, now -- previously, those seemed replaced by the geese.

Is the geese everywhere behavior intended, and is anyone else seeing it too?
geese have murdered a large portion of my current fortress. i reccomend making them less carp-like
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57