Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180456 times)

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:40 am »

I have to say I find chicken leather shields to be hilarious...

Anyway, I've been thinking about tweeking the orcs a bit.  It doesn't make thematic sense to me that orcs should be better metallurgists than humans, who are much smarter.  It there a way we could restrict them to iron, or even bronze/copper armor and weapons?

I'm betting that now that patterned steel can be made into armor it will show up on orcs as armor, as well as weapons.

This will make the game both easier and harder, as the orcs wouldn't have steel arrows anymore (ouch!), but also wouldn't feed a steel industry as readily (if at all with no iron).  I think I made something like 25 bars of steel and 5 bars of patterned steel from my first siege (melted about 100 pieces down). 

I hope that someday Toady will change how smelters work so that it requires less fuel to make copper / bronze ingots and items than iron, which will justify irons greater price.  It really does melt at higher temps and really is harder to refine than copper and many other metals.

I don't think crossbows can be nerfed if orcs still get bows, if only because you get 2 to 3 orc bowman per marksdwarf as it is.  Plus, orcs siege in enough numbers that it doesn't matter.  Either you're already going to kill them all from behind a wall, or you'll only get 6 out of 30 before they mob you.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 28, 2009, 09:23:10 am »

I have an idea for an Entity!

Men of the East

They would be the same creature as Humans (Humans, of course), but would be another entity, with different weapons and animals available to them. Also, they prefere desert and jungle regions over temperate/cold and wet regions.

edit: Actually, I'll see if I can make some basic raws for MotE.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:39:10 am by Vieto »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2009, 09:28:17 am »

I have to say I find chicken leather shields to be hilarious...

Anyway, I've been thinking about tweeking the orcs a bit.  It doesn't make thematic sense to me that orcs should be better metallurgists than humans, who are much smarter.  It there a way we could restrict them to iron, or even bronze/copper armor and weapons?

I'm betting that now that patterned steel can be made into armor it will show up on orcs as armor, as well as weapons.

This will make the game both easier and harder, as the orcs wouldn't have steel arrows anymore (ouch!), but also wouldn't feed a steel industry as readily (if at all with no iron).  I think I made something like 25 bars of steel and 5 bars of patterned steel from my first siege (melted about 100 pieces down). 

Hmm, I know the reason that the Orcs Are Just Better was to ramp up the game's difficulty. That's why they can [trAPAVOID] despite being pretty big, and that's why they're set to only fight - and without the [BABYSNATCHER] tag either, which would have prevented their epic sieges.

I just removed their [trAPAVOID] for flavor reasons, but that shouldn't stop 'em from slaughtering me.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

archgaden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2009, 11:38:40 am »

I don't think crossbows can be nerfed if orcs still get bows, if only because you get 2 to 3 orc bowman per marksdwarf as it is.  Plus, orcs siege in enough numbers that it doesn't matter.  Either you're already going to kill them all from behind a wall, or you'll only get 6 out of 30 before they mob you.

My first all out brawl with the orcs didn't go so bad all things considered.  I wanted to slaughter some up for their metal as I wasn't finding iron of my own, so I opened the gates seeing only about 10 orcs on the map.  About 30 actually came in tough, so I must have missed the majority of the force.  I had 8 in my military (of about 30ish total population).  4 were marksdwarves who had spent about a season training after reaching elite wrestlers.  My other 4 were wrestlers in training (2 elite).  All were clad in copper plate armor from head to toe.  I had the dwarven caravan there with the guards they brought.. I think about 6.  My marksmen did some major damage to orcs while they fought the caravan guards while I kept the wrestlers back in my fort for the inevitable collision.  With the caravan guards wiped out and about 15 orcs charging, I pulled my marksdwarves back to my wrestlers to engage the charging orcs.  What ensued was a terrible brawl.  My marksdwarves got off a few more shots before being stuck in the melee.  Many of the orcs ran off to chase civilian dwarves and things got hairy.  It took quite a while for my military to finish off the dwarves, but they did.  I ended up with only 3 of my soldiers left alive, and lost a handful of civilians (3 or 4).  The losses were much lighter than I expected after realizing I let 30ish orcs in...  All things considered, I do not expect the orcs to be very nasty once I have a mature military to deal with them.  8 fairly green military with 6 guards took on 30 orcs and won, with terrible military losses.  When I have a dozen well equipped, well trained military, I don't think 60 orcs will be a problem.  Of course, I wouldn't have done nearly so well without a lot of micro-managing movement, which is tricky, and requires a good use of fort door forbidding.  All in all, I expect the late game to be fairly eventless still, but the mid-game is going to be FUN

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 29, 2009, 06:27:45 am »

My first all out brawl with the orcs didn't go so bad all things considered.  I wanted to slaughter some up for their metal as I wasn't finding iron of my own, so I opened the gates seeing only about 10 orcs on the map.  About 30 actually came in tough, so I must have missed the majority of the force.

They tend to come in packs of 3. Check out the unit list and you'll see 3 different groups of orcs, usually split up so one is a marksman group, one is pikemen, one brawlers etc.

I'm not sure if you had any, but they do also field considerably tougher named orcs also.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2009, 10:10:36 am »

And the normal version gave Morul and Ironblood?

Ironblood was vanilla, though the stories of his brother were done with the Legendary Lands mod (it's a fun mod, but laggy as hell). Morul was done with the orc mod, I believe Martin wanted a good source of enemies and goblinite ore for Morul to work with (if it comes from orcs, is armor for melting still considered goblinite?)

Edit: been playing the mod, and I'm fairly impressed. I'm going to have to remove some of the insane value of dwarven honey though, Sweet Pods at value 20 were bad enough. Though I may just grow it for a single season and brew the entire crop, a 3 value alcohol without all the hassle of sun berries is very nice.

Haven't encountered the orcs yet though, which is good. Just getting my dwarves to work has been a hassle. I keep embarking on mountains with UG rivers and getting all my supplies plus wood from the nearby forest plus crops from the base of the mountain until I can find the river and muddy some ground is absurdly time consuming.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:13:24 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 30, 2009, 02:49:24 am »

my tale of woe

so i've been playing df for about a year now, hooray, anyways it had gooten boring when i stumbled upon dig deeper, now in order to make the game relatively more interesting i had been using the build map with parameters, giving it 15 volcanoes minimum, the beasts would stop the world gen if they got to above 20 percent dead, and the minimum starting civilizations would be somewhere in the range of 30-40.

now, when i stumbled upon dig deeper, i tried it with the same parameters and found a relatively nice spot, the only problem was, i could never hold the fort for over a year because orcs would always siege twice a year minimum. so the first try i died horribly, seriously, it was pitiful, maybe only 1 or two marksdwarfs and nothing to section off my fort from the edge of the map. i ended up dying in the winter.

the next try i had a lot more dwarves, but i didn't really do much to improve the situation because i mainly focused on getting back all the items that i had in the previous try. i died in the fall. this happened twice.

the fourth try i died of starvation induced tantrum spiral, that got me kinda irritated. and finally with my fifth try my dwarves are spiraling into tantrums because three dwarves died in a pit who was apparently everyone's friends.

it's certainly made dwarf fortress interesting, i love dig deeper!!!! :D

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:49 am »

The human towns in adventurer mode are apparently filthy rich.

Almost all of the weapons they sell are made out of exotic gold alloys.

I beat an orc to death with a green gold warhammer.

Dig Deeper = Win.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 30, 2009, 12:38:28 pm »

One thing I've been noticing is that the marble layers have absolutely no ore in them. Just a lot of  black marble, purple marble, and other marble colors. Fortunately, the Basalt and Gabbro layers are fairly ore rich, but it's still kind of strange coming from a place where you wanted flux to find those nice Magnetite veins and now you only want small flux layers for steel.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:27 pm »

Hmm..four years into my Dig Deeper fort and I have been visited by a Ancient vampire, only problem is he's friendly, despite being the ruler of the local goblins he shows up as friendly and refuses to attack any of my dwarves. Not sure if thats an issue with the creature itself or the game though but thought it'd put it out there.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 30, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

How well does this work with the Mayday graphics pack? I could certainly give this a try and having more variety of stuff to work with sounds cool. So are the Orks.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 30, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »

One thing I've been noticing is that the marble layers have absolutely no ore in them. Just a lot of  black marble, purple marble, and other marble colors. Fortunately, the Basalt and Gabbro layers are fairly ore rich, but it's still kind of strange coming from a place where you wanted flux to find those nice Magnetite veins and now you only want small flux layers for steel.
Marble is a metamorphic rock, unlike chalk and dolomite which are sedimentary.  Marble is a flux stone, but it has never had much ore (other than malachite and maybe galena) at all.  So I don't think this is a function of Dig Deeper so much as the game itself, though it may be that these colors are replacing some of the copper you'd normally find, making an already ore-poor area even less wealthy.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

n.dravid

• Bay Watcher
  • A Rabbit is Enraged!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 30, 2009, 09:48:07 pm »

I just removed their [trAPAVOID] for flavor reasons, but that shouldn't stop 'em from slaughtering me.

I built a ton of cage and stone-falls to stop a recent orc siege. Had no idea they had [trAPAVOID]. Forty five dwarves die fast to Super-Orcishly Tough Pikemen... ;(

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 30, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »

I built a ton of cage and stone-falls...

And hence why they have trapavoid. Because a 5x5 corridor of cage traps at your entrances SHOULD NOT be the solution.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 30, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »

I built a ton of cage and stone-falls to stop a recent orc siege. Had no idea they had [trAPAVOID]. Forty five dwarves die fast to Super-Orcishly Tough Pikemen... ;(

and this is why you read before you download. :P
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57