Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180513 times)

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.2]
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2009, 05:06:18 am »

Just so i know... how long will an Orc invasion last, if they find nothing to kill. At my second try i managed to keep myself inside the fort with water and farming (after watching every single dwarf die of thirst on my last try).

I'd like to know if i stand a chance to see the outside world again soon.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:43 am »

Calling in to say I like this mod.

Expands greatly upon vanilla DF, without losing the theme, at least for me.

Just arrived in spring 2nd year, first orc siege. Luckily no boworcs, so I'm sniping em away from towers until they are thinned out enough to meet my 6 naked champion wrestlers hehe.. We'll see how that goes.

This is my luckiest game ever I think.. Had my first 2 fey moods.. Produced me a legendary armorer (also my expedition leader), AND a legendary weaponsmith.

The orcs should be careful I think hehehe.

I took out autumn as active season for the orcs.. I value my dwarven caravan too much, for the rest I left them as you made em.. I don't think they're overpowered really.

Thanks for the nice mod, keep up the good work :)

EDIT: just gave one of my champion wrestlers the artefact mace that produced my legendary weaponsmith and sent him and the other 5 wrestlers out to meet the remaining 8 orcs.
Carnage ensued. The orcs lost.. No dwarf was seriously injured during these events..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:06:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54:45 am »

Thank you, thank you  :).

Still slowly progressing:

* Additions - 424
* Changes - 50

One more addition and the mod will have reached 50 changes and 425 additions to the base game... A significant alteration by any stretch of the imagination. I think Dig Deeper is really beginning to have a significant impact upon the average game-world... The systems still need tweaking but I am pleased with the effects so far!

Continue reporting oddities and sending your feed-back  :D. And congratulations and thanks is in order to everyone who made this possible. And by that I mean YOU the players of Dig Deeper  :). Without your input and encouragement none of this would have been possible. So pat-on-the-backs all round  ;D!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »

I have an idea for a new mega-beast.

The Titanium Titan.

Or make it just a normal monster and name it a Titanium Golem.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2009, 08:21:34 am »

Reporting in to announce goblin siege..

I read someone had troubles with goblins showing up.. Well, I've had snatchers, had an ambush of them, and now, after beating back 4 orc sieges, goblins decide to siege.

Great fun indeed hehe. I'll let em past my recently finished Orc-meet-rock-bottom trap and introduce them to my (still naked) wrestlers.
My population is at 100 dwarves now, deathcount 10, all of those died in the 2nd orc siege. A Master Boworc came and sniped most of my archers right through my fortifications. 3 of the dead were babies, used as shield by my naked wrestlers. I saw babies flying everywhere  :o
Baron arrived a while ago and started making reasonably absurd demands. Can't complain, really  ;D

Some suggestions.. It seems you still haven't pimped megabeasts enough for them to survive worldgen properly.. Stopped at the year 300 (as it usually also does in Vanilla DF). Maybe you can consider adding some more size and damblock to them.

Also, I would be happy with with dwarves being grumpier.. I don't even have a royal dining room, only a legendary one, and they're still quite happy, despite having slept on the floor or outside for 3 years. I don't know if there are any other tags than the [MODESTY] tag mentioned that control this..?

The Orcs are about fine.. You need tactics and preparation to counter their sieges.. However, I find they still fall rather quickly against champion wrestlers.. Consider changing [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON] to [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:1:BLUDGEON]. for dwarves.. Wrestlers are overpowered anyway.

I think your mod is really, really nice, yet I wouldn't mind some more difficulty even, and I hope my suggestions might help achieve that.  :)

One thing strikes me as odd: I used the sitefinder to get a site with a magma pool, but I haven't found it yet.. But then again, it could start deeper. I'm used to magma pools being near or at the surface of completely flat maps like this one I play now.. Ill let you know if I find it or not. (I never use reveal.exe or similar functions)

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2009, 05:00:45 am »

* Additions - 451

* Changes - 55

Progress storms ahead! I'm definitely on track for the next release. I've got over half of what I wanted in so far...

PS - Anyone have any suggestions for a new metal? I've been wracking my brains and I just can't come up with anymore metals...

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2009, 05:21:01 am »

It looks like you're fond of numbers :D.

PS - Anyone have any suggestions for a new metal? I've been wracking my brains and I just can't come up with anymore metals...
Black Metal, Death Metal, Gothic Rock?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2009, 06:14:08 am »

Some suggestions.. It seems you still haven't pimped megabeasts enough for them to survive worldgen properly.. Stopped at the year 300 (as it usually also does in Vanilla DF). Maybe you can consider adding some more size and damblock to them.

I noticed a greatly increased megabeast survivability compared to vanilla. Maybe it was coincidence, but I set worldgen to start checking megabeast population in the year 100, and I reached the year 288 until 80% of them were dead.

But I actually wanted to chime in to express my love for this mod. The orcs are a welcome source of steel, I built my entry corridor with 3 retractable bridges and a pit underneath. Then my marksdwarves snipe them to death while they are trapped in the pit.  ;D

The difficulty seems 'just right' for me as an experienced, but by no means expert player who was bored with the lack of challenge in vanilla.

I have one big and one small beef... I'm not sure if it is directly related to the mod, or if there is some other issue. However, compared to vanilla and Civilization Forge I noticed a MASSIVE increase in crashes, crashes during saves, and fubared savegames that cannot be loaded again (runtime error). The crashes during saving are the most common, and I started saving very often (so I only have to replay the last 20 minutes if necessary) and making regular copies of the savefile. That's my big beef.

My small beef is that orcs refuse to starve to death while trapped in a pit for several months  :P The siegers in Civilization Forge died off after awhile without food, and I got used to that. Would be realistic, no?

Suggestions for a new metal: A lightweight metal that can be made into clothing. Kind of a more common, less valuable and less protective version of adamantine.

Keep up the great work!  8)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:19:05 am by Saeldanya »

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

* Additions - 451

* Changes - 55

Progress storms ahead! I'm definitely on track for the next release. I've got over half of what I wanted in so far...

Irridium, Osmium, etc as rare small cluster metals.  They are of the platinum group metals.  Also, you could make extra ore types, such as a silver-free galena that veins in sedimentary rocks. 

edit: Also, tungsten, maganese, magnesium, new alloys like nickel-steel and stainless steal (18% chromium)
and new ores like copper-nickel chalcopyrite seams.

What wouuld be neat would be if one could have a reaction that made, say, 50 bolt-tips from lead, and another that made 50 shafts from wood, which would then be combined into wooden bolts tipped with leaden heads, for extra damage.  Or just add glass bolts into the game...

I don't think nerfing crossbows is the way to go.  Unfortunately, if you want tough orcs they need some vulnerability, otherwise you can't have 16 show up the first year before you have a military.  It is about all one can do to build a storage area and a moat + drawbridge by the first summer.  Making crossbows ineffective will just make the mod unplayable in the early seasons for most players.

I think some of this will be solved when Toady makes it so siegers can bring ropes and ladders, battering rams, etc. 

Either that or figure out a way for orcs to bring an engineer guy who can build bridges and deconstruct walls...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:08:27 am by eviscerator »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:39 am »

I have one big and one small beef... I'm not sure if it is directly related to the mod, or if there is some other issue. However, compared to vanilla and Civilization Forge I noticed a MASSIVE increase in crashes, crashes during saves, and fubared savegames that cannot be loaded again (runtime error). The crashes during saving are the most common, and I started saving very often (so I only have to replay the last 20 minutes if necessary) and making regular copies of the savefile. That's my big beef.

My small beef is that orcs refuse to starve to death while trapped in a pit for several months  :P The siegers in Civilization Forge died off after awhile without food, and I got used to that. Would be realistic, no?

Damn, damn and double damn!

The orcs should require food and drink (I don't know why they'd be any different to goblin siegers in that way.

As for the crashes  :'(. Is anyone else having this problem? I wasn't aware of ANY crashing with the mod. This is a major problem and I will have to stress test Dwarf Fortress Dig Deeper to find the source of the crashing if it really is a major problem. I am sorry that this impairs your experience with the mod  :(. I want it to be stable for you.

Please answer the following questions:

What version of Dig Deeper are you running with what version of Dwarf Fortress?
Do you have an error-log? If so please upload or post it so I can take a look.
Do you have a save file right before a crash (preferably a recurring crash)? If so please upload it so I can take a look.
Did you notice anything unusual before your crashes? Was their a common factor present before the crashes/save corruptions? Did you notice any Dig Deeper items present that may have been causing the corruption.
What runtime error are you getting? It should have a numerical code that should help me isolate the problem. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
What are your system specs? How much RAM do you have? What kind of processor? Do you have a graphics card? All that kind of stuff... Are you overclocking your processor?

Quote from: eviscerator
I don't think nerfing crossbows is the way to go.  Unfortunately, if you want tough orcs they need some vulnerability, otherwise you can't have 16 show up the first year before you have a military.  It is about all one can do to build a storage area and a moat + drawbridge by the first summer.  Making crossbows ineffective will just make the mod unplayable in the early seasons for most players.

Good point... I'll have to find a way around this... I'm thinking on it.

Quote from: Deon
It looks like you're fond of numbers.

Only when they lead to more fun and variety for the community!

PS - I would like to use this opportunity to thank Toady One for his great game. Without his great work I would have nothing to spend my free time on  :). So take your thanks and send Toady One messages or better yet donations! I enjoy praise from the community but it is ill-deserved. I have done nothing special.

Anyone else experiencing the crashing?? Anyone?? Please answer yes or no and state your observations if yes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:59:55 am by The13thRonin »

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2009, 12:01:42 pm »

Awesome mod!!!

I'm not experiencing any crashing

P.S. Please Add Me

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2009, 01:20:33 pm »

In the first years of the fortress I didn't experience crashes at all, it started after about 3 years of fortress time of my second game. They got more frequent over time, and with worse effects (leading up to said save that cannot be loaded). My first game with Dig Deeper didn't crash at all, but that one I didn't play as long... just a little less than 3 fortress years I think.

In the end, about 25% of the time when I saved the game, that crashed it. Usually during the actual save process, reload then went back to the last save before it. Sometimes it crashed during 'cleaning game objects' after saving, and in that case I could reload fine. I had the impression that the longer I played before the next save-and-quit, the greater the chance of a savecrash when I do save.

I'm a bit of a tech doofus and haven't paid any attention to the exact error message. I'll play a couple hours starting now, with the last playable copy of an older save I made (2 seasons earlier) and take note of the exact error codes. I don't have a savefile of right before a crash, but I'm sure it will happen again during new saves with the loadable copy of 2 seasons before. I'm going to post the info on version number etc once I've had a chance to play and sleep  :)

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2009, 01:30:22 pm »

Black steel?
Imbued Iron?

i'll tell you if i come up with more metals and if someone already said those metals, it would be that i havent seen the post.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2009, 02:43:45 pm »

Mermaid Iron, more valuable and lighter then normal iron, though exactly the same in all other ways (except maybe color). Can only be found in ocean biomes. Can be turned into Mermaid Steel which has similar benefits.

Maybe make it possible to make blackmetal by pouring water on magma somehow?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »

Year 6, seen no crashes so far.. Except for those orcs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
;D

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57