Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 180598 times)

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER 1.01 Release]
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:23 pm »

I figured out the bloodmetal thing. It was a mistake on my part.

I did, however, have a very sad experience happen on the mod. I finally had my first megabeast, only to be effortlessly slain by orcs before it could even move four tiles away from the edge of the map. I had really wanted to actually experience a megabeast, honestly. It did make me realize that the dragons are a bit underpowered, though. They don't have wings, and can't fly, nor do they stand much of a chance against any decently armed squad of dwarves, much less orcs.

I think Orcs should be toned down, or the Megabeasts built way up. After all, they're the rare, ultra powerful beasts that come siege forts all by their lonesome, right? Orcs are commonplace, and happen potentially every season.

Also, I've been replaying the scenario to see if it's possible to save the Dragon. I've noticed that, unless the Dragonfire doesn't cause burning, that the Orcs seem to be immune to burning. Neither they, nor their items (Which are steel in most cases. Wrestlers show up with nothing, however) catch fire. The latter usually understandable, however.
Another vote for buffed up megabeasts. Also, nitpick: it's testimonial, not testimony. Besides that, I love this mod.
The fight in the dog in your what?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:24 am »

Dang, those orcs are mean. I just started using this mod, and I got my butt handed to me on a silver platter by the second siege they sent. I was able to outlast the first siege, but the second one overwhelmed me. But it's a fun mod, and quite a challenge.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 08:46:55 pm »

Dang, those orcs are mean. I just started using this mod, and I got my butt handed to me on a silver platter by the second siege they sent. I was able to outlast the first siege, but the second one overwhelmed me. But it's a fun mod, and quite a challenge.

I nerfed the orcs.

Took away their bows, lowered their genpower, took away winter as an active season, giving my dwarves some serenity(ORK HAET COLD), and took away their NO_PAIN. I took away their plate mail, too.

This should put them on about par with my dorfs.

.AND NOW THIS WTF
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:53:26 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:56 am »

I've been testing this mod for some days now, and I must say it's pretty great. Still, I think I've found a bug. You gave yaks the [PACK_ANIMAL] tag while not giving them any [trADE_CAPACITY]. I recently started in a region where most civilisations use yaks for trade, so this omission leads to empty elven caravans and limited caravans from other civs. Adding [trADE_CAPACITY:2000] (the same as a mule) fixes this problem.

I'd also like to see some more glass construction options, but I've got the Glass Fort mod for that - there doesn't seem to be any conflicts between the two mods, so it's not really that important.

EDIT: Why do these forum dislike fully uppercase [trade_capacity]? Huh.
EDIT2: Oh, and there's another potential problem - one of my nobles loves deep steel and mandates the construction of deep steel items. Since mithril is kind of unavailable in my location for obvious reasons this is pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:03:58 am by LordZabujca »

Zekrish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2009, 12:42:22 pm »

My dwarfs are starting to dig deeper.. i will come with reports on how it goes ;)

Jwguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2009, 08:20:40 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6338-theartifice

The fortress that digs deeper. Woot
I love the needlessly sarcastic, sardonic, and cynical masses. Mostly because 10% of them are simply like that, while the other 90% thinks it makes them look cool. Morons~

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2009, 10:18:20 pm »

Thanks for all the support and advice guys... I've been really sick lately and now works getting mad because I haven't been in for a few weeks... I think I'm going to have to postpone the full update for awhile and maybe just release the trade caravan fix and possibly... Wait for it... Wait for it... BUFFED MEGA-BEAST stats so that MEGA-BEASTS will now survive for longer!

Also I'd like to poll you guys on whether you think the orcs do in-fact need a nerf... Keep in mind I'm thinking like a little nudge... Not a total overhaul. The orcs will never be goblins, they will always be tougher. But maybe they are too tough as of now... There have been a few complaints? Perhaps I should remove some of their active seasons and nerf them a bit? Please let me know in your future posts.

But yeah... I don't know when I'll get time to do that... Need my rest for now... Keep digging deeper friends... I'm glad that so many people have found enjoyment with this mod and I hope you all know that I take much pride in giving back what little I can to our fan-bloody-tastic community. Cheers lads  :).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:39 am »

No nerfing the orcs, in my opinion.
Sure, they have my succession fort hunkered down in tattered ruins, and brutally murder everyone who goes outside, ever, but that's part of their appeal. They just need careful handling, 'sall. Makes defending forts actually require effort.

Although the decision of nerfing the orcs should reflect your overall direction with the mod. If you want to simply expand upon vanilla gameplay and keep it accessible to even the newer members of our community, then you probably should nerf the orcs. After all, a careless player could easily lose a fortress to the greenskins. However, if you are gearing this mod more towards seasoned players looking for that extra bit of challenge, then the orcs should stay as they are.
I for one rather enjoy being under constant siege.

Sorry to hear about you being sick and all. I hope you get better.

-Nahkh

PS. Could you update the list of players who Dig Deeper?
Also, I gave you free advertising as I'm using DD with SparkGear 3.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:59:52 am by nahkh »
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:30 am »

Hey, I've been playing with Dig Deeper for a few days now, and my last fort was reduced to one dwarf after an orc siege in the first winter. I reclaimed the fort, and now the orcs are nowhere to be found. I have 80 dwarves, an army of 20 spearmasters and marksdwarves in full, high quality blackmetal armor with dozens of war dogs, a fort lined with weapon traps and bridge gates and magma chamber traps, and all I'm getting are a few piddly goblin ambushes here and there that I brush aside like bread crumbs. I've exported tens of thousands of dwarfbux worth of crap, and yet there's nothing.

Edit: never mind, a bunch just showed up with the dwarven caravan. Hooray!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:54:44 am by Axeforgebeard »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

Also I'd like to poll you guys on whether you think the orcs do in-fact need a nerf... Keep in mind I'm thinking like a little nudge... Not a total overhaul. The orcs will never be goblins, they will always be tougher. But maybe they are too tough as of now... There have been a few complaints? Perhaps I should remove some of their active seasons and nerf them a bit? Please let me know in your future posts.

I, obviously, don't support nerfing orcs  :). If they were to be toned down a bit, you might consider raising their trade progress trigger to two, since that's the one that's normally responsible for first-winter orc sieges. It should give newer players (who aren't attracting huge numbers of migrants or producing lots of value right at the start) another few seasons to figure out what they are doing before they show up.

Took away their bows, lowered their genpower, took away winter as an active season, giving my dwarves some serenity(ORK HAET COLD), and took away their NO_PAIN. I took away their plate mail, too.

.AND NOW THIS WTF

You modified the entity file. You are going to need to regenerate the world, and possibly clear out your data files, otherwise you will have offset errors like that.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2009, 07:47:32 pm »

It should give newer players (who aren't attracting huge numbers of migrants or producing lots of value right at the start) another few seasons to figure out what they are doing before they show up.

Hmmm... what's this button do? Oohh, okay... so, I want this here... that there... you, go do that! Wait... no...I think I'l-

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

OH SHI-----
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2009, 03:12:23 pm »

Damnit, ADD ME already.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »

ADD ME BITCHES
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2009, 12:24:08 am »

It looks amazing! I suggest the dwarves piss them selves when they see figurines of carps :p.

*Twitch twitch* I died the first seige. So many bows... So many bows...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:53:40 am by zarmazarma »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:08 am »

uhh add me i guess  ;D
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57