Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Negative Nostalgia Thread  (Read 2559 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Negative Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 01:19:33 am »

Remember when I was just a dabbling comedian?
I still say we should have had you work on mining.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:56 am »

Don't you remember? Those !!narrow wool socks!! always dragged his attention away from the job. We had to let him go.
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:57 am »

Remember not being able to do anything diagonally?

Remember those possessed moods that resulted in a hematite statue, which the non-legendary dwarf would then attempt to drag around for the rest of his life?  (Actually, putting a floodgate-wielding crazy into the military was a pretty awesome thing to do)

Remember having to build a road out to the edge of the map in order to get traders, and not being able to tell how much you were trading for until one of your first nobles came?

Remember idiot dwarves getting swept off the cave river bridge and then dying in the effort to fight the current and get back on the bridge, when they could have gone two steps to the right and been on safe ground?  (Made even more ridiculous by the fact that he died of thirst, stupid git)

Remember permafloods?  I do.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:35 am »

Remember not being able to do anything diagonally?

Remember those possessed moods that resulted in a hematite statue, which the non-legendary dwarf would then attempt to drag around for the rest of his life?  (Actually, putting a floodgate-wielding crazy into the military was a pretty awesome thing to do)

Remember having to build a road out to the edge of the map in order to get traders, and not being able to tell how much you were trading for until one of your first nobles came?

Remember idiot dwarves getting swept off the cave river bridge and then dying in the effort to fight the current and get back on the bridge, when they could have gone two steps to the right and been on safe ground?  (Made even more ridiculous by the fact that he died of thirst, stupid git)

Remember permafloods?  I do.

Oh. My. God.

I forgot the trading thing and the diagonal movement.

The trick with the cave river floods was to build drawbridges as guard rails. Though I didn't figure that out until I had lost many dwarves.

Remember when some idiot member of the original seven would fall asleep on the bridge over the cave river? During flooding season?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53:24 am »

Does anyone remember ghost cursor's short lived life?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 12:00:51 pm »

I am tempted to reread Boatmurdered.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »

remember the deadly carp!

Oh wait....

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 12:38:36 pm »

Anyone remember 25?

Or when chasms were infinite rat spawners?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 01:56:53 pm »

Remember when dwarves randomly fell asleep forever and died due to starvation and thirst

That was an annoying, but hillarious bug.  ;D

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

It was toady's first attempt at implementing storybook story-lines.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 03:24:22 pm »

Remember when some idiot member of the original seven would fall asleep on the bridge over the cave river? During flooding season?
Never happened to me my first building/room would be a bed placed away from the cave river and set as a barracks.
(Unless you are from a time when there were no barracks in which case you should be some kind of DF legend as that must of been ages ago (if ever).
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 04:53:49 pm »

Remember when there was the issue with the first public release, and a tantrumming dwarf striking another would flag them an enemy of the civ, and all other dwarves attacking them got the same treatment?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 04:59:23 pm »

Never happened to me my first building/room would be a bed placed away from the cave river and set as a barracks.
(Unless you are from a time when there were no barracks in which case you should be some kind of DF legend as that must of been ages ago (if ever).

Nah, I always spent a long time on the entrance to my fort. Usually by the time I struck the cave river my one miner was legendary.

What was really bad was the fisherdwarves fishing on the bridge over the cave river.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

I've just read Boatmurdered, and these are the things I've noted that set it out from the current date:

1. Obviously, one z level.  This meant that the fort was a sprawling wreck, but on the other hand allowed easy magma flooding.
2. Elephants were a helluva lot more dangerous.
3. Nobles everywhere.  20 noble immigration waves.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »

Remember when you couldn't fine-tune stockpiles?  You couldn't separate your stone crafts from your leather crafts; you couldn't specify that you just want the iron ore, you couldn't put the good weapons here and the bad ones there.

Remember when purchased food rotted in the depot before the dwarves got around to storing it?

Remember when the elves would get mad if you offered them something that had a smear of blood on it?

Edit: Remember 7*7-1 ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:33:46 pm by 0x517A5D »
Pages: 1 [2] 3