Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Negative Nostalgia Thread  (Read 2560 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
The Negative Nostalgia Thread
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:13:14 am »

Hey, remember when you had to select every piece of material you build stuff with individually from a list of all the individual pieces of material in your fort?  God that was horrible. :(
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The Negative Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:52:30 am »

I remember when walls had to be built individually, and we could mass designate things like dumping, melting, and forbidding.  I also remember when we could not hide things.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:08:33 am »

Remember when we couldn't even rebuild walls? You dug out the wrong area and that was it. If you wanted an epic fort you had to plan ahead and dig out temporary rooms inside where your epic rooms would later be. Remember when rooms designated out in a diamond? That was annoying. Remember when you novice bonecarver felt he was as qualified as your legendary stonecrafter to make your stone trade goods. Remember when you could lose your best miners due to bad luck when you hit the magma (yeh it was unlikely but it was very annoying when it did happen) Remember when a single dwarf dying would lead to most of your for rushing out to grab his stuff and dyeing to the same elephants?

Hey I just realised why we play the newest version.

Oh last one: remember the bug that meant if there was only a floor between a tile and a tile above it labelled outside it would be labelled outside too.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:19:09 am »

Remember when dwarves randomly fell asleep forever and died due to starvation and thirst

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:32 am »

Remember when dwarves randomly fell asleep forever and died due to starvation and thirst

And Toady said he was going to get some sleep before fixing it... :D
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:15 am »

I remember when walls had to be built individually, and we could mass designate things like dumping, melting, and forbidding.  I also remember when we could not hide things.

You know what's even crazier? Those were only just recently fixed with the last release!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:04:14 pm »

You know what's even crazier? Those were only just recently fixed with the last release!
What?  No, that was 39a.  The first version to come out after I picked up DF (which was a little more than a year ago now).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:23:23 pm »

Remember when we couldn't even rebuild walls? You dug out the wrong area and that was it. If you wanted an epic fort you had to plan ahead and dig out temporary rooms inside where your epic rooms would later be.

Granite.exe, friend, Granite.exe.

Hey, remember when it was impossible to melt or dump stuff before you got the bookkeeper?

Remember when the only way to store your stone was to build huge, sprawling, stockpiles?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »

Hey, remember when DF had no graphical optimization and ran at least 50 fps slower?

Remember when large globs of magma would spawn over chasms?

Remember when there was a VN section?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 03:01:06 pm »

Remember when there was a VN section?

No, no I do not.
You know quite well that that never actually existed. LALALALALALALNOTLISTENING

...Remember when it was virtually impossible to design an efficient fortress because you didn't have that extra z level to work with?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »

Remeber when we couldn't find sites with any of the exciting features we wanted without using a third party utility?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »

What?  No, that was 39a.  The first version to come out after I picked up DF (which was a little more than a year ago now).

Well, same thing, really. The 39 and 40 series of releases were all "minor" releases until it finally stopped at 40d. He must have released something like 8 versions in just a couple of months time.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 04:26:24 pm »

Remember when it was impossible to steal stuff in adventure mode?

Remember when dwarves would channel out tiles that other dwarves were standing on?  (This is actually how I got dwarves down 1 z level on my first fort, I couldn't figure out staircases and had to use ramps for everything. I would channel out the ground underneath a dwarf and have him build an up ramp)
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:07 pm »

Remember when every map had everything but they were all the same and you always tunneled right?

Remember when your dwarves had slasher movie character self preservation tactics?  Oh wait they still do...  Don't run upstairs when the goblin horde is after you you fecking idiot!!  AUGH!!!! >:(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:16:34 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 01:16:56 am »

Remember when I was just a dabbling comedian?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3