Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Features that will probably never be added  (Read 3477 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Features that will probably never be added
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:11:53 am »

I have a friend who plays Liberal Crime Squad (in fact he was the one who first told me about the game) and he recently complained to me that it does not have mouse support or a Graphical User Interface (GUI). He said it doesn't necessarily have to be actual graphics, but just have a point-and-click mouse interface that you can use if you don't like using the text interface for everything. I am not sure if the curses library supports using the mouse, although you can use a mouse in Win32 console applications and this feature is duplicated if you run a Win32 console application in Wine. I doubt that mouse support will be added, so how about everyone else posts some features that they think would be cool but are so complicated or hard to implement that they will probably never make it into the game?

I thought of another feature that will never make it into the game: sound effects!

Or how about this one: at the beginning you could choose whether to play as Liberals or Conservatives, and if you play as Conservative all the government and public opinion would start out Liberal instead of Conservative and you'd have to fight to get everything all Conservative. Seeing as we have Obama as president and Democrats with big majorities in both houses of Congress along with a Supreme Court vacancy right now, I think now is the perfect time for a Conservative Crime Squad or Mad Teabagging Party, whatever you want to call it.

Instead of just adding graphics, we could add 3D graphics that are rendered using the latest technology and require DirectX 9.0c or later, or some equivalent relatively new version of OpenGL.

Mutiplayer 2-player game support over the Internet, with one person playing as Liberal and the other playing as Conservative, and the government and public opinion all starting out Moderate.

Multiplayer support that turns the game into a MMORPG (in 3D of course, with lots of sound effects). People could play as teams and complete quests to level up, or something like that, or it could be completely pointless like Second Life.

The feature to have the game actually affect politics in the real world the same way it affects them in the game (e.g. if you get all drugs legalized in the game, it also happens in the real world simultaneously).

Make the game into an old-fashioned first-person shooter for DOS like Wolfenstein 3D where you try to kill as many Conservatives as possible.

Port the game to the iPhone.

Give Priests, Nuns, and Amateur Magicians magical powers, and add a Magic skill. Priests and Nuns would each have spells to call upon the power of God, and Amateur Magicians would call upon the power of Satan. Priests would be able to have God smite someone (a powerful magical attack requiring no physical weapon), Nuns would have magical healing abilities (to heal themselves and allies), and Amateur Magicians would be able to use demonic possession to take control of an enemy (similar to brainwashing except instantaneous). People under demonic possession would be a little... different. They would have exceptional fighting abilities but would attack everyone in sight, except perhaps the person who summoned the demons that are possessing them. There would also be a feature to perform an exorcism on someone who is possessed by demons, although I am not sure how exactly that would work. Certain items might aid practitioners of magic, but be useless to everyone else.

Translate the game into lots of foreign languages so people who do not know English can play, and keep the vast number of translated versions up-to-date with each new version of the game.

Add Braille support so blind people can play the game.

Add the feature to permanently delete the entire contents of your system32 directory because it is filled with nothing but spyware.

Cure the disease of red-green colorblindness so people who suffer from it can tell Liberals (green) from Conservatives (red).

Put in targeted advertisements for various prescription drugs for erectile dysfunction in order to make money off the game.

Train dogs to play the game.

OK now everyone else post your own ideas for features that will probably never be added!  ::)
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Features that will probably never be added
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:42:14 am »

I'm confused; are you complaining about features not being added? That's the impression I'm getting. Whatever features won't be added, it's because no one is willing to do it. As far as I know, anyone can grab this source, learn to code, and create a game to their tastes. Hell, they could even steal the idea, and do everything you just mentioned.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »

Cure the disease of red-green colorblindness so people who suffer from it can tell Liberals (green) from Conservatives (red).

If somebody can cure colorblindness, they're a better person than I.

Edit: By the way, anybody else bothered a little by the fact that RED, the color of that Liberal Ideology of Communism, represents the Conservatives, and the fact that GREEN, the color of that decidedly Conservative Resource Money and the very Conservative Emotion of Envy, represents the Liberals? ;D

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:41:00 pm »

I think he meant to make a list of features that like no way will ever make it into LCS, but it's fun to talk about them.

Actually, choosing to play liberal or conservative(or other still) crime squads is something that James might one day add, I'd think. Not soon, though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:05:34 pm »

EuchreJack: Not me. Red is going to be the color of choice for the Stalinists as well...:)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »

If somebody can cure colorblindness, they're a better person than I.

Edit: By the way, anybody else bothered a little by the fact that RED, the color of that Liberal Ideology of Communism, represents the Conservatives, and the fact that GREEN, the color of that decidedly Conservative Resource Money and the very Conservative Emotion of Envy, represents the Liberals? ;D

Green is also the color of Hamas. We need to rethink our liberal coloring agenda.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:55:43 pm »

But of course, green is the color of trees and environmentalism too.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:22 pm »

I think my list is obviously features that will never be added since they are either very difficult to accomplish or RIDICULOUS.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »

Give Priests, Nuns, and Amateur Magicians magical powers, and add a Magic skill. Priests and Nuns would each have spells to call upon the power of God, and Amateur Magicians would call upon the power of Satan. Priests would be able to have God smite someone (a powerful magical attack requiring no physical weapon), Nuns would have magical healing abilities (to heal themselves and allies), and Amateur Magicians would be able to use demonic possession to take control of an enemy (similar to brainwashing except instantaneous). People under demonic possession would be a little... different. They would have exceptional fighting abilities but would attack everyone in sight, except perhaps the person who summoned the demons that are possessing them. There would also be a feature to perform an exorcism on someone who is possessed by demons, although I am not sure how exactly that would work. Certain items might aid practitioners of magic, but be useless to everyone else.

Actually, this is the most easiest to accomplish, but it fits the "RIDICULOUSNESS".

Might want to change Amateurs to "LeVeyan Satanists" or "Wiccans" or the more generic "Witch/Warlorck".
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »

Libertarian Crime Squad.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 02:04:55 am »

Libertarian Crime Squad.

Even easier to add, and less ridiculous since it has been seriously considered by other people.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 02:49:45 am »

I meant playable...

Unfortunately I didn't make that clear. (Due to forgetting about the CCS for a moment.)

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 03:10:17 am »

Still not that hard to do, people just won't bother. They'd have to do a lot of renaming, which is timeconsuming, but as far as I know, there wouldn't be anything substantial stopping you from making Libertarian Crime Squad.

notxmania

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »

Libertarian Crime Squad.

What exactly would this entail? I suppose it would be easier being able to buy guns at the department store.
Screw this I can't think of a sig and this will be an eternal reminder of my writer's block and frustration.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:49:16 pm »

I vaguely remember reading something from Toady about making a Conservative Crimes Squad version of the game, but stopped because it became kind of disturbing. I kinda can imagine where that came from. Opposite of affirmative action- open discrimination or minorities being barred from employment/possible slavery. Opposite of separation of church and state- fundamentalist government with biblical law and possible inquisition. Opposite of gay rights - discrimination of homosexuals. Almost stops being satire and becomes just plain creepy.
Extreme liberal stance of marrying spotted owls and living in the woods as part of a commune is goofy.
Extreme conservative stance of laissez-faire libertarianism minus social freedoms is scary.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4