Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The great dam , megaproject idea  (Read 1577 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The great dam , megaproject idea
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 01:44:57 am »

I'm already working on this on my fort. I have a 30 tile wide river cutting a nice canyon through the landscape so I put a dam in it. I built the dam by pouring magma in the river and carving it out/engraving it.

Inside is a control center for flood control and activating traps on the top as it also acts as a bridge. There's like 100 waterwheels or something inside. The entire 30 tile wide river is routed through my fort powering a ton of waterfalls. At the end of all this is rows of pumps pumping all the water up 16 z levels through 2 aquifers.

It's all set up, except for the pumps. I've only built half of them so far. Still it's almost done and I'll be able to turn it on soon.

Oh and I built a 21x21 solid gold pyramid. Has 1700+ golden blocks in it. Working on a solid clear glass obelisk, too.

edit: my dam will be called "The Thunderdam"

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 01:47:32 am »

That is wicked. I'll have to see it. Possible to setup a save file to DL? Would like to view the fort.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 01:51:00 am »

I plan to, but only when the fort is done.

The river cuts right down the center of the map going east to west. My fort is on the south side and the only way to get to the north side is to cross my dam. Also there are 2 minor rivers. One coming from the south and one coming from the north and they both empty into the main river via waterfall. I had to dam and bridge over those, too.

Overall it's poor on resources. I barely had enough gold for my pyramid and there's no flux, HFS, or chasm. Just aquifers and goblins, plus a little magma.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:54:34 am »

Is the only entrance to your fort located on the "dry" side of the dam where you could on a whim open several floodgates and wash away any vermin that are pestering you? While your fort is in the reservoir of water or under or w/e.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:27 am »

Actually there is no dry side. I have no idea why but water flows away from the dam in both directions, like it's sitting right on the source. It's not even on yet.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 01:58:22 am »

I noticed the same thing. When I say dry side I mean the side that has the tiny 1 zlevel river and the wet side has the large amounts of water. Y'know..... like a dam.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:04:33 am »

Nah I plan to wash away all the clothes and dead goblins that keep falling in there for some reason.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:14:17 am »

Guess I'll have to do my version of a dam and share it with ya guys. Looks like I'm going to have to >.> Especially if I get that orc mod. I'd love to find a sheer cliff with a river at the top that's like 30z levels from the bottom of the sheer cliff. That'd be perfect for it. Wonder if I could still run a 16x16 map with that much water. O.o Ocean ran okay.

Pages: 1 [2]