Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The great dam , megaproject idea  (Read 1578 times)

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The great dam , megaproject idea
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:00:44 am »

so, as a mega project i want to build a great dam
the goal is to create a dwarfish power plant which ( in my mind ;) ) powers the machinery of the great mountain homes

this requires a canyon like map, where a river flows between two mountains.
the problem is finding a suitable spot.
i have "modded" world gen to create lots of rivers, magma vents and pits.  Ive also changed the settings in soil so i always get obsidian stone and black sand dirt.

but i don't know how to easily create a good starting point for my dam project, can anyone help me?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: The great dam , megaproject idea
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:08:21 am »

tap tab in the embark screen until it shows a bunch of numbers on the local map; these numbers represent cliff heights. Then find yourself a river and trace along it until you find a section where the river is a 0, 1 or 2 and the land immediately next to it is a 9 or higher.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:14:10 am »

you'd need a chasm to get this job done right, as you will have severe drainage problems when setting up the dam.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:31 am »

? - Nah. Not at all.

Just a spillway off the dam itself, and the river then empties out its original channel.  It's the same flow, unless floodgates are used to "regulate" the flow for some (goblin/elf related) reason.

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:16 am »

chasm/pit isnt a big concern since my world gen profile generates loads of them

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:12:12 am »

There is a thread where someone found a river where parts of it freezes at different times causing the map to overflood, subsequently he made a huge dam hich actually filled

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:14:41 am »

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.  You could have banks and banks of connected watewheels inside the face of the dam, a real hydro-power behemoth.  Inspection platforms, spillways at different levels, access tunnels, the works!

What to do with all that power... dunno.  Pump all the water up to the top of the dam, I guess!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:08:47 pm »

You can make an aqueduct maze designed with inspiration from M.C. Escher. That sounds like an interesting megaproject.

Or megaproject ideas overall: optical illusion megaprojects. Preferably viewable in 3Dwarf.

Have fun with those. Added challenge, make them functional illusions. For an idea what I mean, check this fancy game out: Echochrome and OLE Coordinate System

Those ought to help, or at least make them look functional.

Koboldbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:13:41 pm »

You Might want to try this, the location of the God Dam

The world info is below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't do much modification to the world except down the end year. My goal was to play this world as long as I could until all 75 megabeasts were dead, and I get bored.

To give you guys a precise location of my fortress, I made a screenshot after abandoning the fort. (don't worry, I scummed)

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 01:17:41 am »

BOPNUS POINTS!!!!!!!!!!! Make it out of magma.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:35:48 am »

Thinking that this looked like a fun place to start up a new fort, i decided to run the world gen and embark!

Fuck.

Watching the water dance around on the surface of the river is fun though; almost mesmerising.

--EDIT--

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:44:01 am by Neruz »

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »

if you're reservoir is too large, isn't there a chance that you'll get no power out of your wheels since 7/7 water isn't technically flowing?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:17:42 pm »

I think the problem with embarking here is short freeze, stupid driver.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »

I've wanted to do this for a while but still cant find a suitable map that's not so large it destroys my fps.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:46:41 am »

Your best bet is to find a map with a waterfall. After said river is blocked, seeing as the is no implementation of water flowing over a wall at the same level as it, dam is started.

Making it massive like HUUUUGE and very wide and a way to open all 50 floodgates simultaneously to have a massive water fall. Bonus points if it slopes like a dam does.  More bonus points is you are able to have a flowing river along with the MASSIVE pool of water behind the dam...

I hate chuuuu...

I want to make a dam now.

Maybe then I could properly illustrate what i mean... I'll make sure to do it very large scale as well...

If you want me to do it PM me or post here.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: [1] 2