Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Pirate Mafia 2, Still interest?  (Read 11164 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Mafia 2, Discussion and sign up thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 12:13:26 am »

mmm... A_Fey_Dwarf claimed this was the best mafia on the site....

I'll read the rules later and probably sign up.

Well, that was just boasting :P. It was the first mafia on the site to move away from the generic Italian or werewolf settings. Most of it was pretty rushed on my behalf but i did try to make the descriptions of events particularly gruesome and awesome.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:08:21 am »

As for the room sounds idea, I was thinking of having it like this:

Anyone entering or exiting their room will make a slight noise (Adjacent players will hear a door open or close). A commotion in a room makes a loud noise and adjacent players will know what room the noise is coming from. If a noise is heard, at the end of the night phase I will pm you with whose room you heard it from. I will only do this after the pm's all received.

The rooms will be set up like so:

At the start of the round I would assign a player to each room and write the players name on that room. When someone dies I will put a cross through the room to show it has been vacated.

If this idea is implemented I will also add the characteristics: Snorer, (can't hear noises) and light sleeper (has extended hearing radius, i.e. can hear players two rooms away opening their door).

If this is all too complicated, I am happy to not use this idea (less work for me).
Too be honest I am starting to dislike the prospect of pming everyone at the start the day phase with what went bump in the night. Will probably overload the limit to the items sent thing. Any advice on how to simplify it?

Does the Nervous mutineer knows he is a Nervous mutineer?
Yes.

Navy Spy is a hard role.
Child seems a fair role... Just hide behind players that won't probably be killed and try to not get lynched.  The tricky part is not being able to tell you're a child.  Good Role.

Balancing is up to you... Just be sure that everyplayer gets a fair chance to win
The child will know he is the child so yeah... The only abilities that the player will not know he has are the listed roles. Characteristics are unknown. I don't know how to make the navy spy's role any easier, could you suggest something?

Are you gonna make Quicktopics for scum?  I'd hate to have a overloaded inbox again.
Huh?

IM IN.  I hope this game is active and that if people dissapear you'll get replacements with the new replacement thread.
Hey, it's not like i am known for abandoning my forum games... *whistles innocently*

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:13:19 am »

Don't do the rooms idea. Too complicated and too much work.

Also, the Navy Spy would need to survive a night kill or something.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 01:19:42 pm »

mmm... A_Fey_Dwarf claimed this was the best mafia on the site....

I'll read the rules later and probably sign up.

Well, that was just boasting :P.
Oh no... You can't just walk away from your statements... You have to prove them  ;)

As someone said earlier... You could use the rooms idea for another kind of game.  But the only wawy to see if it's fun is by starting simple.  Remember mafias started with 5 townies and 2 mafia goons.  NO Power Roles.

I don't know how to make the navy spy's role any easier, could you suggest something?
Webadict hit the spot.  I was going to say give him a 1-shot self-protect but surviving 1 night kill is even better because the fact that he HAS to survive makes it a hard role to play.

about the quicktopic... it's a very good way for scum and masons or whoever needs to communicate when they're more than 2 and pming becomes too heavy.

Check out this paranormal mafia round where it was implemented succesfully

The other good thing about QT is that you can afterwards see what scum was thinking and have a good laugh.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28:35 pm »

I'll join up. 

I'm somewhat disappointed about the no known roles rule change, as that's one of the things I enjoyed most last round, balanced by the conversions, but this makes it more like the other mafias I've played.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 03:11:11 pm »

I'll join up. 

I'm somewhat disappointed about the no known roles rule change, as that's one of the things I enjoyed most last round, balanced by the conversions, but this makes it more like the other mafias I've played.
Well, last round we were unaware of what to do, and I was very inexperienced in the way of Mafias. If there were known roles, I'm certain I would know how to deal with them.

But, it does make the game harder for both sides if there are none, which is easier.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 10:56:31 pm »

I'm liking the quick topic idea, but can a topic be searched for by non mutineer pirates thus finding who are mutineers?

If I make the power roles universally known, do you think that might spoil the game? Now that we actually know how to play the game, the captain and first mate will be able to work together to establish a town base. They will know who not to save from lynches etc...
If I do make it, then I will not include the surgeon. He will stay unknown.
My feeling is that the universally known roles will disrupt the game unless if there are around 20 players.

Also changed the spies role...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

You can only find the topic if you have the link.

Try googling (or using other search browsers) stuff of the past dopps messages.  You won't find it.
If I make the power roles universally known
What do you mean exactly?  ???

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 11:14:37 pm »

At the start of the game, I will announce who the captain and the first mate are to all players. The idea behind it is to give guards someone to protect and the mafia someone to kill. An early town base if you will. Obviously in a real pirate ship, the pirates would know who these people are...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:45 pm »

yeah... well...
but this is mafia...

the whole point of the game is having an uninformed majority Vs an informed minority... if you just INFORM roles to everyone you take the mafia part of it... and also the fun...

Don't worry about town bases... they will form anyway... this is bay12games... the land of gossip outside the thread ;)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »

Can the spy ID someone without checking them? For instance, could I say in a PM to you, "I believe Alexhans to be the Captain," unless/until I ID someone else as the Captain (through death or scanning)?

Then if Alexhans was Captain and the game ended, I wouldn't have had to expose myself to scan him, but if I was wrong, I would lose?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 11:35:59 pm »

Not quite, you would have to know for sure you have the right man. The English navy want to know the exact details about the captain and first mate of this ship. You can only get this by checking their rooms. It might be a good idea to just hide the entire time and just hope both roles are killed and identified. But then, if anyone fails to find you, they would know you are either have a cowardly trait (or variation of cowardly).
Hmm, maybe that calls for a pirate aligned cowardly trait...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:52:31 am »

Is this flip or no flip?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 03:05:48 am »

Yep, role flips are active.

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05:51 am »

I've never played a mafia game before, can I still join?
And what does "role flips" mean?
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5