Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have discovered what HFS is!(spoiler)  (Read 2054 times)

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have discovered what HFS is!(spoiler)
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
share your stories of HFS!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:51:10 pm by zestorum »

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered what HFS is!(spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51:42 pm »

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »

The thread already has "spoiler" in the title.  You don't need to have spoilers for your stories.

I once found HFS and managed to seal two levels off from the upper level; this got me only a small amount of frog demons.  Nevertheless, they were killing my dudes.  My important dwarves were in big trouble.  Then my pet Dragon came in and started fighting them as well.  The dragon kicked as*.  Sure, a few dwarves caught fire, but no one important.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »

What does HFS stand for? Holy F&%*ing SH&%?
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:19:49 pm »

Yead Frog demons are pretty weak. I mean yes they still will basically cream recruits and plow through your insides, but you can sqash them..

Dunno what to tell you, I just never find them. I guess I need to just. keep. digging.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 11:21:07 pm »

HFS stands for Hidden Fun Stuff.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:48 pm »

Frog demons, you got lucky, those guys are arguably the weakest kind.  The really dangerous suckers are the spirits of fire.

My first Pits breaching had those.  I ended up abandoning because my computer could not handle them at the time with temperature on.  They cause tons of lag because they are hotter than magma...and theres 30+ of them...

Before I abandoned I was simply wondering what was happening. My first indication that something bad was about to happen was all the rock in the exploratory mining tunnels mysteriously melting.  My military was already stationed, I had played DF long enough to not trust the unknown. 

As the wall of melted rocks slowly inched twards me (at 1 frame per 5 seconds) I was not too worried.  Chasm creatures were for the most part weak, same with river and magma.  Why would this be any different?  Surely my full military might of 3 crossbowers and 4 swordsmen could handle this.

Then the first one showed up and fired a fireball, my marksmen fired the first round of fire and I check the creature for damage...NOTHING.  By the second volley 3 more had shown up, and the military had barely even scratched one of the creatures, and more kept coming. By the time the melee army could get swings in they were badly outnumbered. Then the melee military started spontaneously combusting from the heat.  But I doubt any lived long enough to burn to death.  After a remarkably short time I saw the spirits of fire pass the military's stationed position and abandoned.  Less than 10 had actually shown themselves by that point. My by all accounts competent military hadn't even moderately wounded one.

I was slightly prepared for HFS, so after finding adamantine, I slowly dug a maze downward until I found the pits.  A dozen Spirits of fire poured out and started torching my people, then a spear dwarf and his squad ran into the buggers and started headshotting them.  I think he had 9 SoF kills before he finally caught fire.  All of them headshots.  This with a base quality steel spear and maybe professional spear skill.  After that, they went on a rampage through my fort, only ending when I had everybody gang-rush them.

Spirits of fire are fun.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

My Pit has SOF's. do you think that 10+ champs with full masterwork adamant will take out the SOF's?
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:57:17 pm »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:58:48 pm »

My Pit has SOF's. do you think that 10+ champs with full masterwork adamant will take out the SOF's?
It depends on how lucky you are, 10 champs, assuming they are legendary in Shields/armor/wrestling/and their weapon, probably, yes, you might get unlucky and have all of them burnt by fireballs, or you might get lucky and have all of them survive, I would bet on lots of casualties though, no matter how many you throw in. haha

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:11:42 am »

Do most maps have HFS, or is my squad of 15 soldiers (champions of various weapons/ elite wrestlers with marksdwarfship, mainly) doomed to sit around doing nothing forever?

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:57 am »

HFS is only ever in the mountains, and only one of the 16x16 squares has it deep underground. its easy to spot at embark from your appraiser however, due to the architectural value.

first time i found it, i had a queen come in. i had been desperately digging for nickle ore for a mandate from the legendary mayor miner. didnt get it in time, but found it later. it was 'mostly' frogs, with a single SOF. see, i found out that SoF will destroy stairs that you dug out of the living rock. had to dig new stairs to recover my wounded victorious champions.

It was my biggest and best map at that point, and one i have trouble matching for the awesome. but i got tired of my tamed dragon and purified HFS after that and moved on. my adventurer saw dragon, queen, and all migrating through a human village(!) at one point after that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »

They should do ok.  May want to invest in an extinguishing pool or waterfall leading to the mines however.  That way if one of your military catch, they can walk through that and get put out, still likely be wounded and unable to spar ever again, but they'll live.

I have never actually encountered the 'balor' yet.  3/4 times I breached the HFS I got spirits of fire which melted him the moment he spawned.  The 4th time I got custom carp demons, but I had underestimated their strength and they overran my military before I saw it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2