Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: well, this is awesome...  (Read 2924 times)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
Re: well, this is awesome...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:52 am »

I've always felt that selling mini forges and toy hammers made of stone to the elves was a benefit to them.  Their children will grow up a little more dwarfy.

Now I suddenly feel the need to mod in a toy "don't spill the magma playset" 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Jakkarra

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

warning, contains magma,

warranty void in case of death or maiming.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 11:58:37 am »

On the subject of toys...

Would selling erector sets be a good idea or a bad one? Would making the elves more dwarfy outweigh the possibility of elvish mad engineer trap-lords?

Jakkarra

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »

Would selling erector sets be a good idea or a bad one? Would making the elves more dwarfy outweigh the possibility of elvish mad engineer trap-lords?

dude, the elves dont use wood, and they cannot engineer stone to be strong enough to make proper walls out of.

their walls would probably be *pfft* destructable, hahaha!

love, jakkarra

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:16 pm »

dude, the elves dont use wood, and they cannot engineer stone to be strong enough to make proper walls out of.

love, jakkarra

Yet they use wooden weapons and shields as well as wood bins, cages, and wood barrels. Which I find to be a contradiction in itself as far as the elves go.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

It's obvious.  It's forcing you to buy their fair trade, ethically sourced, sustainable wood.  And remember: they know where you livetm.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 02:53:15 pm »

love, jakkarra

Yet they use wooden weapons and shields as well as wood bins, cages, and wood barrels. Which I find to be a contradiction in itself as far as the elves go.

You don't understand, the elves understand that the trees are living beings and that they must be respected. They work together with the trees, the trees freely offering the elves their finest wood in return for protection and love.

Jakkarra

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 02:55:21 pm »

love, jakkarra

You don't understand, the elves understand that the trees are living beings and that they must be respected. They work together with the trees, the trees freely offering the elves their finest wood in return for protection and love.

elven spy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:14:01 am by Jakkarra »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 03:31:30 pm »

Good to see noone's made a pun about the "Erecter" set yet.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »

stupid elves never learn.

this time they refuses to trade a pair of wolves for my nice, wood free steel drum. I have locked them up to die as well. my walls are covered with pictures of elven caravan animals striking down elves, elves shriveling up, and elves who are just plain dead. and i have a huge excess of cloth.  :P
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:31 pm »

CARPDAMNIT CLOTH!!! GRUAH!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 06:35:53 pm »

why do they keep sending caravans when they NEVER RETURN?!  you'd think they'd learn?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »

why do they keep sending caravans when they NEVER RETURN?!  you'd think they'd learn?

Maybe it's how they get rid of their deadwood, so to speak. The smart elves are the ones who stay home.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:27 pm »

Good to see noone's made a pun about the "Erecter" set yet.

Why yes,if it was made out of rock that "Erecter"-set would probably be very hard.
Or in other words *insert a joke reletated to a primary male genital here*.

Now to something completly different!
The elves don't just cut down any trees,they carefuly chip off singular branches/twigs which would hinder the growth of the tree in question and weave them into greater constructs,ie. Bins.That is also the reason why wooden weapons are seldom among elves;they need a larger branch of wood which is rarely found among the trees,resulting in a sword made of wood being a sacred gift from nature herself,a sacrefice if you will.
Not to sound elvish or something IŽll..add..one or two dwarfen one-liners here.
Magma!
Magma!Apply directly to the forehead!
Magma!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 10:27:41 pm »

well, a few got out before the brige closed, but they got stuck in a hall of stonefall traps before they snapped. all the animals are okay, and now i have even more cloth. i also accidentally impaled on with a wooden ballista bolt, but no one got away, so no harm there.

and the current most popular engraving in my fortress; images of elves striking down elves
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3