Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: In America, we play Dwarf Fortress. In Soviet Russia, Fortress dwarfs YOU.  (Read 3861 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile

Blatantly stolen from Jakkarta, who stole it from Yakov Smirnov, who in turn stole it from Arte Johnson. What a country!

...Moving firmly along, this is a thread to discuss the addition of possible Russian influences into the game.

Yay communism!

No, what I mean is, Russia has a long and rich history, full of DF-thematic goodness to mine.

They were invaded and influenced by Vikings, ruled by a monolithic imperial dynasty for centuries, had a god (Chernobog) that struck people dead with his hammer, a diverse mythology, vast architecture, even vaster wildernesses, a citizenry that was stomped into the ground harder and more thoroughly than even a lot of their enemies, fantastic gems and treasures, and a legendary workshop that came up with some of the finest and most original artifacts ever produced (Faberge).

There's even a whole line of Warhammer miniatures devoted to "Russianized" dwarfs (the Chaos Dwarfs).

So what are some things that we can borrow from the Russkys to make the game more interesting?
For they would be your masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Dwarven vodka production?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Nikola Tesla?? Oh, wait, he was a serb.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:20:49 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lenin as a noble!

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vodka is made from potatoes, which seems like a dwarfy food to me. I think we should lobby for giant wild underground potato groves in the new version.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

Revolution of the Economy! From each dwarf what he can give, to each dwarf what he needs!

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm I'd say DF is already pretty Russian (or at least Soviety). After the economy kicks in, all dwarves work for the state and are paid and use the money to buy from the state. In addition to this, we have Dwarven Space Programs*, gulags** and a startling love of executing the nobles. In all seriousness though, DF is heavily inspired by Norse mythology via Tolkein.

*Catapults
**Bone bolt workshops
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

We need a heightmap of russia, and remake all the cities with fortresses!
And in each city, a giant statue of a major influence in russian history!
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile

Dwarven vodka production?

/thread

I think vodka is about the most soviet Russian thing you could use.  Hmm Maybe there should be a special type of military type you could have called "Commissar"  and he would have the [NO_FEAR] tag?
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AK?
We already have tommy guns.

Which are only used by few nostalgic Sicilian gangsters. AK? Just about every other terrorist and rebel.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Gentlemen, XM8.

This gun trumps your puny outdated AK 47.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

The 5.56 round will never trump the 7.62 for sheer unpleasantness.  BOOyah, baby. :P

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gentlemen, XM8.

Picture

This gun trumps your puny outdated AK 47.

Do they actualy still make those things in small quantities or are we limited to the few prototypes that existed before it was canned?

To whoever said 7.62, i raise you a .338
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2