Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: "Isometric" display for DF  (Read 26223 times)

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Isometric" display for DF
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2009, 04:35:34 am »

I'm thinking battle animations should be a lower priority than finishing an isometric view system. Priorities, gentlemens. We can have the sprites flash red when hit and have the text message describe the battle, like we have in the current version.
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2009, 05:05:08 am »

With the Isometric display, wouldn't the simplest solution to walls obscuring things to be to allow the user to set the display height of walls on the current layer? Dungeon Keeper did this and it worked out fairly well.

Another solution would be to make the creatures sprites, but inanimate objects like walls in 3D, thus allowing you to rotate the camrah (also like DK interestingly).

Ultimately, the Isometric one looks better to me; yeah sure the wall looks shorter than the Dwarf, but it's a reasonable suspension of disbelief to assume that the walls have been cut short a little for display purposes.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:59 am »

this is extremely funny and confusing animation
Agreed.  I would totally play a game with those animations, just to see the hilarious battles.
dwarf looks kinda like mushroom
Explains a lot about dwarven physiology.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2009, 12:34:06 am »

I'm thinking battle animations should be a lower priority than finishing an isometric view system. Priorities, gentlemens. We can have the sprites flash red when hit and have the text message describe the battle, like we have in the current version.
One, (a few) someone elses got that part underway

Two, the combat text is half the fun! If I made any sort of display utility it'd include the messages. Probably e'en make them the main method of scanning through a lengthy7 combat scene (and replaying/rewinding)- though probably a little finer-grain control would be nice if just to catch those spinning axes at the right spots.
dwarf looks kinda like mushroom
Explains a lot about dwarven physiology.
'spores' are rather heavily joked about on the fora as the method of breeding, yes.

These particular cases are mainly outgrown from my efforts toward a "semi" tileset for an isometric visualiser- one that looks mostly like the symbols, which at least for minerals is an easy task (just make cubes with the correct colors)
Drawbacks: Anything besides helms and gloves and held items are going to be tricky to get in-the missing bodies means there's no where to put the platemail. :V

...Also, it's easy to draw.
edit:quotefixed
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:37 am »

The isometric images look weird - the plane of floor tiles aren't rotated away from the plane of the screen as much as the other objects, like the dwarf - they're too square still.

Isometric ASCII might be acceptable.  At least, it would be entertaining to have 3D letters floating around.  Don't think i'd actually prefer that to 2D ASCII for playing, however, and don't really want to have to deal with isometric wall/floor display at all.

Actual isometric 'graphics' look too cartoony.  My dwarves are gruff and grizzled warrior poets, not something out of Disney's Snow White.  My imagination is far better than any graphics ever will be for supplying the appropriate images.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »

The isometric images look weird - the plane of floor tiles aren't rotated away from the plane of the screen as much as the other objects, like the dwarf - they're too square still.

Isometric ASCII might be acceptable.  At least, it would be entertaining to have 3D letters floating around.  Don't think i'd actually prefer that to 2D ASCII for playing, however, and don't really want to have to deal with isometric wall/floor display at all.

Actual isometric 'graphics' look too cartoony.  My dwarves are gruff and grizzled warrior poets, not something out of Disney's Snow White.  My imagination is far better than any graphics ever will be for supplying the appropriate images.

So with your imagination, make your own graphics pack, thereby supplying the appropiate image.      ;D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »

Actual isometric 'graphics' look too cartoony.
That was, as I understand it, the intention.
'S called irony.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »

So, bringing up how walls can conceal sprites again, it kind of bugs me. I'd rather be able to see the entire object, one way or another. Possible solutions I've come up with:

• Use a sims-style cutaway method for walls, either lopping every wall off or just trimming them near the cursor
  • Turning walls with objects behind them translucent
  • Creating an object "shadow" that appears through the wall when a sprite is concealed. At least it lets you see the outline of it.

...Or any combination involving #1. Thoughts? :)

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »

there could be the option of simply "cutting" walls to be very low, a few pixel high but high enough we know what it is (smoothed, door, ect)

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:07 pm »

there could be the option of simply "cutting" walls to be very low, a few pixel high but high enough we know what it is (smoothed, door, ect)

Yeah, that's what I mean by sims style - The Sims does something similar :)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2009, 05:30:29 am »

Have a toggle that either 'lops off' walls or draws them at full height would be the best of both worlds.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

My only complaint with isometric style is that it feels very, very awkward to me to have north in any direction other than up... In isometric it would up-right. Having everything skewed kind of messes with my head :-\

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2009, 11:30:28 pm »

In my experience, isometric north is usually up-left.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2009, 01:45:15 am »

In my experience, isometric north is usually up-left.
Well, damn. It seems like it should be up-right for some reason... Huh. But this is why I think it's awkward to begin with :P

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:03 am »

Lies! Up-right!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11