Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: "Isometric" display for DF  (Read 26225 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Isometric" display for DF
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2009, 12:03:45 am »

I'm guessing that Toady wants to make sure everything he plans on including in the game is in before he worries about making the visual presentation more appealing.  Part of this is probably because that if he did revamp the graphics, it would significantly delay each further update every time he ran into a situation where he had to create a new graphic or alter an old one (eg; making statues look like what they look like, the new random beasties living underground, so forth).
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2009, 12:31:54 am »

Here's Toady on isometric graphics in DF:

Once the changes that allow resizing the view go in, supporting something like isometric would come down to deciding how to display something like a many-leveled layered labyrinth and still have the game be comparatively easy to use.  I gather that the point of going isometric is to show more than one level at a time, though I could be wrong about that, and it seems like it would take some work on my end with transparency and so on to make it work out.

I've seen it, but that image doesn't (and wasn't intended to) address any of the issues I mentioned (it also has fractional Z levels which don't currently exist and aren't likely to exist in the future, so it's not the best test image, though I understand that wasn't its original purpose so much).  It does do one of the things that bugs me in general about isometric, which is obscuring the view with things like trees, which can be handled with transparency I suppose, but the main issue is how to handle the stacked Z levels of a typical fortress.

Depending on the stage of the interface overhaul, ultimately I'm going to be support 2D tilesets (probably in dimensions of multiples of 4 because I'm lazy with image file headers).  So if you want to draw up some 32x32s or something, you won't be wasting your time, I think.  It should be fairly straightforward to support single z-slice isometric stuff as well, once I get that going, since I'd just have to change the print locations and print order, though transparency decisions are probably annoying, and it's slightly more annoying to get multilayer isometric stuff going, since people are going to want various options about display there, so I don't really have a clear opinion on the future of isometric.  The support for a resizeable viewport/window is definite, but nothing has been decided on layering there (for instance, critters walking over grass tiles, that kind of thing -- people will want more and more out of this system, such as inventory and wound displays, and I'm not sure where lines will be drawn, or where it will bog down, anyway).

So yeah, it looks like he has some concerns that a fan-made isometric visualizer might alleviate (or intensify, depending).  Although I guess the main solution, level slicing, has already been pretty thoroughly demonstrated in Khazad.  The need for transparency is somewhat questionable once a smart level slicing option is in place (most players would get by with the current change-Z-level controls and a toggle to enable/disable slicing above the current Z-level).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2009, 11:00:11 am »

Since it is just the draw order...
Spoiler: "Tileset shenanigans" (click to show/hide)
Post-processing west ballista:
 thread with tileset WIP

The issues that come up are really just what Toady said: you sort of need to draw 2-3 things (Unit, item, floor) to properly represent a tile in this way, or you're using a placeholder.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »

That "multiple of 4" quote is pre-SDL, right? Now I think he has SDL load images for him, so theoretically, it might allow any sized tiles...
Eh?
Eh!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »

god no, i'd prefer as little rotating as possible.
as for blocked by the walls, wouldnt "your" view actually block more, than what i suggested, since every wall section is taller?
like so:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8796/47642246.jpg
The problem here is: a wall of THE SAME height will obscure MORE in isometric than in cavalier. And higher walls mean we can put larger creature sprites in the game without making them look out of place.

If a typical wall sprite only reaches as high as the center of the tile above it (red cross), we can be sure that EVERY object will always be visible, including small objects on the floor:

In isometric, the entire tile is obscured.
in any case, could it not be solved best with level slicing and transparancy?
Level slicing is irrelevant here. It is necessarily obvious for viewing a level underground but what we're talking about here is to make sure that walls don't obstruct things on the same level.
And transparency should IMHO be avoided just as much as view-rotation since it makes things unreadable (just look at qwert's screen http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6309/96630423.png )
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:31:05 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2009, 09:45:18 am »

What about current-level cut walls? Only show the bottom few pixels of the wall, so that it doesn't obstruct anything, and use the full size for the floor below.
Eh?
Eh!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

Cobalt, that looks awesome, but could you *possibly* use a larger tileset? :P  Like you said, the diagonals look funky, though any time I've screwed with isometric I've had that problem.

I'm now envisioning creatures as cubes.  Which flatten completely when they lay on the ground.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:35 am »

could you *possibly* use a larger tileset? :P 
Yes (script has the option for other sizes) but I'm not a pixel art wizard- so, the smaller things are, the easier I find it, as there are fewer details to get wrong, can be abstract. Also, means I can make the tiles faster.

edit: Only 20 instead of 16- my computer 'only' has 1680 width to work with. So maybe only with export functions. (DF requires 80 columns.)

I'm now envisioning creatures as cubes.  Which flatten completely when they lay on the ground.
Well, I got around it by making the dwarf spherical as usual. (tangentially, Faceball 2000 was a fun game.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:22:49 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

The problem here is: a wall of THE SAME height will obscure MORE in isometric than in cavalier. And higher walls mean we can put larger creature sprites in the game without making them look out of place.

If a typical wall sprite only reaches as high as the center of the tile above it (red cross), we can be sure that EVERY object will always be visible, including small objects on the floor:

In isometric, the entire tile is obscured.

i dont know if im really stupid but i fail to see how it would be as you say

now obviously, one wall slice would not have the same amount of pixels in height in isometric as in cavalier mode, but who says the tiles has to reach all the way to the top in iso mode?
sure, in isometric mode larger creatures would look taller, but isnt that the whole point?
in any case, huge/giant/larger creatures isnt *that* common, that they would make or break any isometric view mode...

and in reference to qwert's screen, i dont think it looks that bad, it just need to be more transparent where it comes to creatures, and
skip the transparancy for the water/lava (or have it as a toggle).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:59:32 pm by dyze »

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »

What about current-level cut walls? Only show the bottom few pixels of the wall, so that it doesn't obstruct anything, and use the full size for the floor below.

I'm not quite sure why this hasn't been brought up yet.  Think 'Sims'.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2009, 05:12:02 pm »

dyze: see, that's exactly what I was talking about: in that second screen the wall is visibly much lower than the dwarf, which looks much more goofy than cavalier projection (which, admittedly, IS pretty goofy).

In any case, I admit the function of lowering walls of the currently would be very useful as a toggle. As for transparency? I'd like to see it done well with actual sprites- I've tried and failed.
<3

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More "isometric" blues
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2009, 05:16:03 pm »

If you guys can think about any other necessary animation,
Crawl. legless diplomats to think about.
Also, blocking and dodging are probably needed- raise the shield arm, or jump out of the way, since at least with dodging you do actually move, and none of the animations you suggested would really fit.

Yeah, wallslicing would probably be necessary for an isometric- my demonstration cobbler uses full, and you can see how the single-tile corridors vanish utterly in Escherian style:

(demonstration corridor. 1x1 on each side, then 2x1, 3x1, 1x2, 2x2, 3x2, 1x3, 2x3, 3x3, 5x5)
Tilesets

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:18 pm »

dyze: see, that's exactly what I was talking about: in that second screen the wall is visibly much lower than the dwarf, which looks much more goofy than cavalier projection (which, admittedly, IS pretty goofy).

yeah i guess its down to personal taste, cavalier looks a bit goofier imo :D

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:38 am »

Thinking on it, Mayday, you'd probably also need another animation/pose for archery. Crossbow could use 'manual', though.

could you *possibly* use a larger tileset?
Making something in the vein of the battle animation thing, I'm starting to agree with you. It can be a pain spriting in these confines.

Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)
Missing: crossbow, scourge. . . and it looks like I left the long and 2h swords a pixel short each in this version.

Isometric makes left/right hand itemcarry display quite easy, adding a few more things to draw order. Multigrasp might still be a bit of a problem.
left-handed Axdwarf w/ shield, battleaxe:
And a right-handed attack, (facing down-right) blown up for showing my bad pixelart. (With a buckler in off hand, but it's mostly obscured)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:33:41 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2009, 01:30:41 am »

this is extremely funny and confusing animation
Great waepons (maybe 1px or 2px longer handles would be nice) but dwarf looks kinda like mushroom
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11