Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: "Isometric" display for DF  (Read 26186 times)

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More "isometric" blues
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »

The fog colour should be grey-black inside the fortress and sky-blue outside.
Also, fatwall.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2009, 05:42:17 pm »

I have a primitive isometric engine using the previously mentioned two-pass approach to transparency.
(Also learned about gluOrtho2D() and preventing window resizing...)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Issue: Bit of an issue needing 4 of each wall image(right/left visibility), and a horrid way of turning a "1 if not wall" into a wall=1+(tileInXdir)*2+(TileInYdir)....
Eh?
Eh!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2009, 06:48:26 pm »

Well, this is at least a start ;)

I dont realy know anything about coding, but im pretty sure it would be possible to display images mirrored so that you need only 2 images for the walls. Or am I misunderstanding something?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »

Now there is comparison.

How is that compared to the current suggestions?
Will you hate it from the start because on it are engraved pictures of peasants and MICROCLINE?

Edit:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:17:05 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:32 am »

I like it how that looks a fair bit, actually.

If it would be of any use, I would happily donate a set of Isometric tiles I made at that perspective:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2009, 12:45:49 pm »

Solifuge, your stairs only go in two directions, you need at least two more to head "up left" and "up right."

Not to mention the equivalent of ramps placed thus:

###
#^#
#.#

###
#^#
###

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:46 am »

Solifuge, that tileset makes me giggle with glee every time you bring it up.  It is so cute.  Like, in the best way possible.

On the issue of fog color: yeah, PaperJack has something there. The game already distinguishes "inside" and "outside" air spaces with color (in the init file, anyway), so there should be a color difference between outside and inside level fog.  And outside should definitely be blue of some sort, because the atmosphere actually does that.  It gives a lovely "the mists and the fog" Scotland feel.  Though inside spaces might do better as something brownish.

For more peppy style, the atmospheric color could be biome alignment dependent: darker, purplier blue for evil biomes, gold for neutral, bluish for good.  Or do it by the biome itself to set the mood: savannas a golden yellow/brown, forests a deeper green-blue, mountains a frosty cool blue, volcanic wastelands orangy yellow, goblin towers purpley grey brown, swamps yellowy green brown, etc.  The shear level of atmosphere and mood added would be intriguing to experiment with, as long as it didn't go as far as to be cheesy (couldn't fog completely to a pure color).
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »

Would it be possible to implement the engine not as part of game? Ie it reads from the game's map storage memory addresses so that it does not require a rewrite on toady's part?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »

Would it be possible to implement the engine not as part of game? Ie it reads from the game's map storage memory addresses so that it does not require a rewrite on toady's part?
Why?  It's not like anyone is suggesting this replace the ASCII.  I'm not sure, as I am no expert on programing, but I am given to understand bundling things in with the game as an option would require less effort than making said things into their own programs.  Or at least less hard drive space.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:53 am »

You mean like how every 3D viewer out there already does?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 07:12:23 pm »

There you go:

Ok, this looks much better than the blurred image.  :)

A different color, it looks submerged.

That's what I was thinking too.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2009, 05:31:41 am »

hey mayday you still into this idea?
Of course, why wouldn't I be?

So what colour do you suggest?

Also: I'm still against an isometric projection. I want to be able to see everything without transparency effects.
<3

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2009, 05:40:40 am »

I like isometric projection, particularly if you are able to rotate the viewing angle. along 90 degree angles. Primarily I like it simply because it looks cleaner, due to the hand-drawn nature of it. Maybe it's just because I was raised on games that used it.

I don't know, Dwarf Fortress just seems to make sense with it.

Also, since Dwarf Fortress doesn't make any distinction in terms of Direction when it comes to staircases, a spiral design going straight up and down is more likely to be consistent.
!!&!!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2009, 06:43:31 am »

I like isometric projection, particularly if you are able to rotate the viewing angle. along 90 degree angles. Primarily I like it simply because it looks cleaner, due to the hand-drawn nature of it.
Cavalier looks hand-drawn too and doesn't obscure things as much.
<3

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2009, 09:51:33 am »

I like isometric projection, particularly if you are able to rotate the viewing angle. along 90 degree angles. Primarily I like it simply because it looks cleaner, due to the hand-drawn nature of it.
Cavalier looks hand-drawn too and doesn't obscure things as much.

Not to mention that if that tower was entirely hollow, you could never see the bottom (ok, Cavalier does too, but you can slice off layers and know exactly what you're going to get).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11