Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to download Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 16427 times)

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to download Dwarf Fortress?
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »

I really want to download this now that I've just acquired an external hard drive, and well... I don't even know how to download it to my computer. I simply clicked it, opened it up, and all these files, readme's and stuff came up.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: How to download Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:16:02 pm »

Did you download and click on the zip file?

From your description it sounds like that.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:16:44 pm »

You double-click on the file that says 'Dwarf Fortress'

And if you want to edit game options you go into: data/init and edit the 'init' text file within and save your changes. Just remember to not have the game running while trying to change options.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

I didn't unzip anything.

I clicked on Mirror 1.
I pressed open.
I waited till it was done and now I'm at a whole bunch of folders and files. One is called "dwarfort" and the other, "optipng." Those are the compressed ones. Do I need to unzip them?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:29:07 pm »

Yes! You need to unzip em all.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »

Okay, one more question. How would you move -all- the files to an external hard drive? My idea is to set it up on my computer, back it up on the harddrive, then delete the original on my computer.

I don't want it to take up space on my computer, so instead I'm putting it on my external harddrive so I can play it from there.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »

Cut it.

Are you new to computers?

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 03:45:37 pm »

Cut it.

No, this is my 10th year of using them. I just toyed with it a bit and got it. I'm not too experienced with downloading stuff so... xD I know how to move things around though... and I just simply saved it directly to the hard drive. No need to cut it.

I simply unzipped 'dwarfort' and the game works. What are the other zipped files for?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:51:32 pm »

I think they store all the information,game mechanics, the engine and stuff like that.

My brain fails to believe that it works.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 03:54:46 pm »

When downloading compressed files like .zip or .rar, it's best to select "Save As" when downloading instead of "Open" and save it somewhere simple like your desktop. That way it's easier and safer to unzip the files inside to wherever you want them.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 05:08:36 pm »

I decided to download the Mike Mayday's graphic pack, any way I need to go about that?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:56:00 pm »

I really want to download this now that I've just acquired an external hard drive, and well... I don't even know how to download it to my computer. I simply clicked it, opened it up, and all these files, readme's and stuff came up.
this is going to dumbass computer questions.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:25:12 pm »

When asked if you want to open or save, aways choose save. That way you can put the file exactly where you want it, and install/etc. it later at your leisure. For DF, I'd save it to your desktop, then unzip it to a folder on the ext. HD.

In windows XP/Vista, you can unzip by right-clicking the zip and clicking "Extract All..." (might be called something slightly different in XP) then telling it where to put the files. somewhere like "L:\DF" ("L", of course, being replaced with the actual letter of your drive).

Should be an idiot-proof explaination  ;).
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 04:09:33 am »

Cut it.

No, this is my 10th year of using them. I just toyed with it a bit and got it. I'm not too experienced with downloading stuff so... xD I know how to move things around though... and I just simply saved it directly to the hard drive. No need to cut it.

I simply unzipped 'dwarfort' and the game works. What are the other zipped files for?

I'm calling bullshit. How the fuck can you never find out about Winzip or Winrar over the last 10 years? Or hell, not need to download a zipped or rarred file?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:04 am »

I'm calling bullshit. How the fuck can you never find out about Winzip or Winrar over the last 10 years? Or hell, not need to download a zipped or rarred file?

Crazy as this may sound, but 10 years ago a lot of people didn't even know the internet existed. Let alone how to use it. That aside, if this is his first time handling Zips and Rars then there's no need to throw profanity around. There's a first time for everything.

Because yes, it is possible to survive 10 years of using (i.e. for all we know he only used it for work or some small games) a pc without having to deal with zips and rars.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.
Pages: [1] 2