Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wolfram Alpha Launches Tonight at 7:00 CST  (Read 4036 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wolfram Alpha Launches Tonight at 7:00 CST
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:30:30 pm »

http://www.wolframalpha.com/index.html

For those of you that don't know, Wolfram Alpha is new breed of search engine. One that doesn't provide search results, but raw information related to the search text. Say you search for the GDP of the United States;

It would immediately provide you with a synopsis of what GDP means, a world map illustrating the location of the United Sates, give the desired number, and several related numbers such as GDP per capita and other such things, along with a snip from wikipedia and other sources potentially. It can do all this with semantic input.

Upon that, it does integral calculus, and will provide steps on how the calculus equation is solved.

Needless to say, the service has a lot of people very excited, myself included. At 7:00 PM, GMT -6:00, Wolfram Alpha will go live, with a live webcast at the headquarters of the operation, illustrating the process of it going up in real time.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Wolfram Alpha Launches Tonight at 7:00 CST
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »

So this is basically wiking it the hard way.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:17:51 pm »

Will it be voiced by Majel Roddenberry?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »

I'll try using this.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:26 pm »

Will it be voiced by Majel Roddenberry?
nice
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!&!!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:59:37 pm »

Okay, well, 5 minutes has taught me that that thing is a waste of bandwidth.

1. It requires Javascript to run. Minor thing, but Google doesn't need Javascript on. Point: Google.
2. It does not actually give search results. It just gives you what amounts to a summary of something. It would be great if you were a pompous know-it-all who needed to be able to look up obscure facts on the internet, but it sucks if you're actually looking for something, like a file. I can find as many illegal video game roms as I want on Google. Point: Google.
3. It seems unable to process even basic searches, as it knows nothing. I tried searching "super nintendo" and got nothing. Searching that on Google gives me a Wikipedia article, links to some Youtube videos, the Nintendo website, an interesting looking guide to the rarest SNES games, and multiple emulation sites. Point: Google.
4. When it does process searches at all, it gives irrelevant information. I tried searching "snes" and got a description of Snell's Law. Googling "snes" gives me even more emulation-related content than Googling "super nintendo" does. This is a good thing. Point: Google.
5. It's slow. Much slower than Google. And it has a stupid name. It's named after the CEO of the company that makes it. Point: Google.

I'm disappointed. Google victory score percentage: 100%.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:15:40 pm »

What it likes.

Google

I like it. It's nifty.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:19:36 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »

Apples and oranges.

Google can't do this.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+x^4+sin+x

In addition, the reason is that it's slow is because it isn't officially launched to the general public yet.
!!&!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37:41 pm »

I don't know what to ask it. <.<
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:53:49 pm »

Okay, well, 5 minutes has taught me that that thing is a waste of bandwidth.

1. It requires Javascript to run. Minor thing, but Google doesn't need Javascript on. Point: Google.
2. It does not actually give search results. It just gives you what amounts to a summary of something. It would be great if you were a pompous know-it-all who needed to be able to look up obscure facts on the internet, but it sucks if you're actually looking for something, like a file. I can find as many illegal video game roms as I want on Google. Point: Google.
3. It seems unable to process even basic searches, as it knows nothing. I tried searching "super nintendo" and got nothing. Searching that on Google gives me a Wikipedia article, links to some Youtube videos, the Nintendo website, an interesting looking guide to the rarest SNES games, and multiple emulation sites. Point: Google.
4. When it does process searches at all, it gives irrelevant information. I tried searching "snes" and got a description of Snell's Law. Googling "snes" gives me even more emulation-related content than Googling "super nintendo" does. This is a good thing. Point: Google.
5. It's slow. Much slower than Google. And it has a stupid name. It's named after the CEO of the company that makes it. Point: Google.

I'm disappointed. Google victory score percentage: 100%.

Google is a search engine. Wolfram is not. Did you really miss the point of it that much?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:45:20 pm »

Yeah, yeah, it's an "answer engine" and all that. The point is, I can get my answers just as easily (actually, more easily) from a search engine. What's the point of this thing?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:58:04 pm »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 12:23:24 am »

I can't seem to use it to do any research for my own little paper on the caliphate. The only semi-useful thing I found out is that that I share a surname with a Jordan city...which isn't very useful.

Google seems to be much more useful, but this system is specialized.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:25:21 am »

It's just awesome.
I like it.
Furthermore: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+the+meaning+of+life%3F

Google gives me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_is_the_meaning_of_life%3F

I think this is a much better answer.

I think I wont be using Wolfram. It's a botch. Tell me when it's worth using.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3