Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How would I make goblins a little meaner?  (Read 1312 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How would I make goblins a little meaner?
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:53:51 am »

What I actually want here, I guess, is a little lesson on modding the sentient races.

Basically, I don't want to go all out and get the orc mod, but I'd like my goblins to be meaner. Attack more often, bring greater numbers, and be stronger/better fighters. Can someone elucidate the meanings of all the variables and tell me what I might do to make this happen?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: How would I make goblins a little meaner?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:57 am »

Just download the orc mod, but replace [CREATURE:ORC] with [CREATURE:GOBLIN] in the entity file. Then get rid of the goblin entity. Also, you can up their size and damblock.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »

i'm pretty sure that isn't what he wants.

This would probably sound a bit ametuerish to experiance modders but you could just go into the creature file (Df,raw,objects,creature_standard and scroll down to goblins) and replace [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] with [liTTERSIZE:5:7]
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

Also, you can up their size and damblock.

This is true. I did this to elves and it seems to make them less useless prevent worldgen genocide as well. [NOPAIN][NOFEAR][NOSTUN] and maybe [trAPAVOID] should also be considered. NOFEAR is key I think, Goblins are scarier when killing two doesn't make the rest run.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:05 pm »

I don't think you can make them bring more fighters to the ambushes/sieges. Others have given some good advice on making them better in combat. Now as for making them show up more often well that is an interesting problem with an odd solution copy the goblin entries in both the creature_standard and entity_default files, paste them in multiple times (as many as you want), change the name of them by adding a number to the end of them [CREATURE:GOBLIN#] and [ENTITY:EVIL#]. This may lead to humor or annoyance as every single one of the civilizations may show up to siege you at once and you get a nice message on the announcements screen (A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived! x10).

Better have that magma trap ready...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:50:49 pm »

So you're basically multiplying the gobbos in the game? That's brilliant!

One question though: this only works when starting a new game, i.e. current saves won't be affected?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »

I don't think you can make them bring more fighters to the ambushes/sieges. Others have given some good advice on making them better in combat. Now as for making them show up more often well that is an interesting problem with an odd solution copy the goblin entries in both the creature_standard and entity_default files, paste them in multiple times (as many as you want), change the name of them by adding a number to the end of them [CREATURE:GOBLIN#] and [ENTITY:EVIL#]. This may lead to humor or annoyance as every single one of the civilizations may show up to siege you at once and you get a nice message on the announcements screen (A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived! x10).

Better have that magma trap ready...

This works, to a degree. You can (sans glitches) have one siege per season. Entities will choose one of their active seasons per year to be active in. Thus, having four goblin entities, one for each season, will give you four sieges a year.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »

Of course, having four goblin entities can also mean receiving four goblin caravans at the same time if you don't replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN].
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:19 am »

Of course, having four goblin entities can also mean receiving four goblin caravans at the same time if you don't replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN].

Goblins have [BABYSNATCHER] which makes them enemies to all non-babysnatchers, so that's a non-issue.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:43:04 am »

This works, to a degree. You can (sans glitches) have one siege per season. Entities will choose one of their active seasons per year to be active in. Thus, having four goblin entities, one for each season, will give you four sieges a year.

Well I've not done this mod myself so I can't be sure, but I did a similar mod to get more traders (gnomes are basically dwarves, hobbits are basically humans but shorter, fawns are basically elves but shorter and they don't complain about trees) I have had 2 trade caravans show up at roughly the same time. Now not knowing how Toady has set up the sieges I think there might be a chance to get more than one siege unless sieges stop all interaction, including other sieges from happening. Though depending on how fast you deal with the siege you may get them happening one after the other (kill siege one, 10 seconds later siege two shows up).

But like I said, I've not done this and and I don't know how Toady has programed it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:47:38 am »

Let me restate my question: this only works for new games, or for current ones as well? Because if it is the former I might be tempted to start a new fort before investing any more time in my current one.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:01:52 am »

This will not work unless you generate a new world.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:32:01 am »

This will not work unless you generate a new world.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still learning the game and now I'm almost torn between continuing in my rather good location (which I have already partially developed as well) and genning a new world.

I should still get gobbo sieges every year with the default settings, right? And possibly some elf and humie sieges if I kill their traders, yes?

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:27:13 am »

I've had two sieges in one season before.  One was the humans, the year after their trade liaison died, and the other was either Rysith's orcs or normal goblins, I forget which.  There was a brief gap between the two, a few minutes or so.  They weren't one-after-the-other.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 07:51:43 am »

Sieges can definitely occur at the same time; i've had Orcs siege me moments after Hobgoblins sieged me, one time the Orcs even spawned right next to the Hobgoblins and immediately tore them to shreds.

I was more interested to note that the game actually supports 2 or more Wagons in your Depot at the same time :P
Pages: [1] 2