Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The temple of MAGMA!  (Read 2358 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The temple of MAGMA!
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:39:50 am »

hey, new poster here, long time lurker. thought i would log on an post my new front gate.

this is a magma powered destroy-whomever-I-hate type of front gate, from a design shamelessly stolen from elsewhere on the forums. it works really well actually.

the main principle is that magma is continuously circulated by the pumps, essentially making a "parting the red sea" type of magma wall. don't like someone on the bridge? simply turn off the magma pumps and the magma comes flooding in. i have it set up with an inner and an outer bridge system, so i can more carefully control where the magma goes. the outer bridges can be moved up to allow the magma to fall straight into the magma pit while still allowing the central bridges to be used. i have the entire system pressurized with pumps located at the volcano, so the magma fills the area quite rapidly. the two upper floodgates on z4 are for the outside magma falls. the system is of course empty at the moment to prevent lag, but it has been tested and it does work great. magma goes where i want it, and burns who i want. what more can you ask for?

more pics when i am felling less lazy, but the power comes from windmills, which are installed in a giant cathedral arch over the whole thing, giving it a grand temple feel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i am still working on the castle around the entrance, as well as a massive water fall tower, among other things. this is going to be a masive site, assuming i ever finish. . .

edit: forgot to spoiler the images, sorry :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:07:36 am by lucusLoC »
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The temple of MAGMA!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:31 am »

Unreal, man.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:51:04 am »

That is pretty dwarven. Damn..........

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:07:22 am »

Dwarfy! Well done! Can't wait to see it in action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:32:56 pm »

I think my brain just imploded.  Keep it up.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:17:32 pm »

due to problems not being able to upload any more images to my isp (it corrupts them) i decided to get off my butt and post the map to the map archive.

here it is: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6357-bellstyphoons

to summerise:

Work still in progress. need to finish leafing the tree and finishing up towers. most of the towers are still being built, and the underground city is not finished being dug out (need to put the rooms in the buildings and probably put farms at the top). the central palace (by the tree) only has the foundations laid and the lake is still being filled. the statue garden tower (in the middle of the lake) has no statues. the magma entrance keep is about 2/3ds done. none of the "normal" houses in the forest are even started (see the unfurnished inn buy the waterfall "mage tower" for an example of what the forest will eventually be populated with)

post any questions about layout here!
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:24 pm »

Pretty sweet. That's a ton of magma to be playing around with. I wonder what your FPS is gonna be like one you start that thing up.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:56:22 pm »

it hits about 6fps when the lake is filling. i am thankful it only thaws about mid summer (its a cold map). it gets about 15fps when i was doing the magma entrance testing. that is with about 40 dorfs. (interesting note, over half of those are the children of one couple, a woodworker and stonecrafter. actually i just counted, they have 31 kids. total fort pop is 46. only 1 or 2 of those kids have died in tragic mining accidents. this fort is almost literally composed of one family and their "support staff")

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:13:25 am »

Armok in Blood, man!

Did you change the dwarven litter size and make them not have rare-litters?

Those two went well beyond "Fruitful" into "don't ask" territory...

Actually, with that much population, you can finally answer the ages-old question: Dwarven Incest! Does it happen? Does it produce kids? Does it produce inbreeding flaws?

Find out! Fire up the magma showers on any and all immigrants!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

this is a 100% vanilla version. i wanted to build a giant city but not kill my fps, so i have the pop cap at 20 or 30, i forget. this couple is from the one and only immigrant wave i received in the second year of the fortress. the fort is now 43 years old, and i have at least another 20 to 30 dorf years left, at a minimum. many of the children are grown (see all the blue workers? all her kids. moods yaknow)

after the city is done i may decide to boost the popcap way up to see if i can fill out the city and get  king to put in the royal bedrooms, but that is only if i can stand the massive lag. and i may also grab tweak and see if i cant grab some humies for the above ground part of the city. i'm not really sure.

we will have plenty of time to test the dwarven incest. after all the walls are built i can give them plenty of social time ;-)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:39:18 pm »

All I can say being myself is Good Job!  ;D

I need to find out how to make one or so help me Armok.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »

After finishing out the tree i decided i realy licked how it turned out. Do any of you know of others who have done trees? I would like to see how they were done.

I will probably start diging out the rooms in the UG part of the city tonight. At the rate i play that means it will be finished by wendsday or so. I will post a progress update then.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OH NO!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »

well, had my first real disaster (lost miners don't count, they are expendable) but fortunately no one was lost. it will take quite a bit to clean up. i am going to have to dig out drains for some of the lower passages.

it was caused when an ice floor froze over an unsupported portion of the unfrozen lake. who knew that in the df universe ice does not float? instead it sinks so fast that i crashes through multiple levels of fortress and magma. . . awesome :-)

map here, http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6487-bellstyphoons

i will get on putting some POIs on the old map, so you can find your way around.

Edit: added POIs to the original map. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:07:17 am by lucusLoC »

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »

Is dat sum galciv 2 reference?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:30 am »

Is dat sum galciv 2 reference?
Presumably.
Pages: [1] 2