Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well drinking speed vs. booze drinking speed.  (Read 2044 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Well drinking speed vs. booze drinking speed.
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

While I was securing a source of water for my goblins so that they wouldn't die of dehydration on the freezing tundra and mountain I put them on, I discovered something that I hadn't noticed before: goblins (and by extension, the race you're currently playing) drink from wells very quickly. So quickly in fact, that it's almost instantaneous. They simply walk to the well, pull out one unit of water from the bucket, and go on their merry little way, thirst completely quenched.

As we all know, our workers spend half their time drinking from barrels of booze while all of our projects remain undone. So I got to thinking, could I increase the productivity of my citizens by utilizing wells instead of barrels of booze?

If you play as a race that isn't alcohol dependent, then the answer is an obvious yes. You can greatly increase productivity by using the near instantaneous drinking speed from wells with no side effects that come from being alcohol dependent. You'll miss out on the happy thoughts that come from drinking booze, but we all have legendary dining rooms anyway.

The problem comes when you apply this to dwarves. Would the time gained from instantaneous drinking balance out the slowness that comes from not having drunk booze in a while?

I think so. I don't know how much dwarves slow down without booze, but I think it could be easily counterbalanced with agility increases and quicker drinking time. Hunters, for some reason, drink from waterskins instead of barrels of booze, and I can barely notice any difference in how fast they work.

Only one creature can drink from a well at a time, and that includes the time a creature is walking to the well, so you would need several wells to keep up with demand. But, dammit, I'm tired of waiting for my dwarves to stop drinking and get back to work, and five or ten wells and a bunch of sober dwarves seem like a small price to pay.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well drinking speed vs. booze drinking speed.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »

There is only one solution: Magma booze wells.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »

You could also remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] from the dwarves' raws. Let's assume this means that your dwarves now go to Magmaholics Alcoholics Anonymous.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

If you could manage to completely dig out channels in a five by five main hall way and place a well on every single you could wind up with super completely productive fortress and legendary architects to boot.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:05:06 pm »

You could also remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] from the dwarves' raws. Let's assume this means that your dwarves now go to Magmaholics Alcoholics Anonymous.
Thou shalt not disrespect the holy blessing of Armok! The dependency stays!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:34:04 am »

sure you go without the thoughts for having booze.... but admiring a tastfully aranged well every 20 paces is probably better anyways (and easilly legendary if all your water is on the bottem level, and you have excelent quality mechanisms platinum buckets, and masterfully dyed cloth rope and crystal glass blocks or some such.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:28 am »

If you could manage to completely dig out channels in a five by five main hall way and place a well on every single you could wind up with super completely productive fortress and legendary architects to boot.

Wouldn't this just ensure lots of people mistakenly fell in the wells?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:54:39 am »

Yes. And walked back up the stairs you built down to the well bottom, because you're not an idiot.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:24 am »

Wont they die when they fal tol death if it at the bottom of the map and or drown?

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:06:42 am »

If they fall to their deaths, yes, they will die (oddly enough).  Likewise, if they drown, they will also die. (Some may see a pattern here.)

If you make the water only a z-level down or so, then that fall won't kill very many.  And if there are stairs, they won't be in the water long enough to drown.

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:03:59 am »

"Alright, boys! Pour the booze in the well! Nothing can go wrong!"

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:43:21 am »

If you make the water only a z-level down or so, then that fall won't kill very many.
Will a one Z level fall kill anyone?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:20:04 am »

Remove drinking... this would increase the speed of that my fortress works at, but on the same token would make dwarves more elf like... WTF MAN non drinking dwarves.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:39:23 am »

If you make the water only a z-level down or so, then that fall won't kill very many.
Will a one Z level fall kill anyone?
They get stunned, and splat face down into a puddle.  While most things can hold their breath for a month, your legendary peasant who trained everything but toughness will likely drown in a few seconds.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:57 pm »

I'm going to do this to my current fortress!  Why have I not thought of that yet...
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!
Pages: [1] 2