Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alt + Arrow Key, among other miscellaneous UI  (Read 989 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alt + Arrow Key, among other miscellaneous UI
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:29:15 pm »

Alt (Essentially the Meta key in Windows) plus an arrow key should have some sort of function bound to it.

For designations menu:
 move the cursor to the end of the 'type' of square you are over (either wall, floor/designated for mining, or open space/designated for channeling) in that direction, such that using it in a room brings you to the edge of the room, using it between two rooms would essentially make it easier to highlight a hallway, when in mining designation mode. In traffic designation mode, it should do the same, except with traffic designations. In the other designation modes it should do the same thing as mining designation mode, except it does not pay attention to designated squares.

It makes it a lot easier to navigate/designate large floor plans, e.g. designate a room here, there, there using standard shift-arrow and arrow. Using alt-arrow, quickly zoom around boundaries of rooms and construct hallways between them with far fewer keystrokes.

For other menu modes:
In view unit mode, it should go to the nearest unit in that direction. Same goes for view building mode, except for buildings. Same for look mode, except to the nearest non-hidden/non-forbidden (set by options menu) item.

Inspiration from emacs and other programs designed for text-only terminals.

Though I have made this suggestion before, seeing flow values vs. not seeing them should be able to be set from the in-game options menu.

That is all, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:03:09 pm by Normandy »

Drake1500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alt + Arrow Key, among other miscellaneous UI
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »

Alt (Essentially the Meta key in Windows) plus an arrow key should move the cursor to the beginning of a wall (if used from open space / floor), the beginning of open space (if used from a wall) in that direction, when in designation mode. In view unit mode, it should go to the nearest unit in that direction. Same goes for view building mode, except for buildings. Same for look mode, except to the nearest non-hidden/non-forbidden (set by options menu) item.

Overall, a very good and viable suggestion. I like it.

Though I have made this suggestion before, seeing flow values vs. not seeing them should be able to be set from the in-game options menu.

What do you mean, exactly, by this? Do you mean seeing how much water/magma is in squares vs. whether there is water/magma? Or do you mean seeing where water/magma is flowing to at the appointed moment?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »

He means swapping between the ~ view and the 7 view.  Where water appears as tildas or numbers.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »

Fieari is correct.

Edited OP with clearer suggestion for designation mode scrolling.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:50:10 am »

If the goddamn cursor would deign to stay in the same place where we left it while switching designation modes, that would be a relief too.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:20:41 am »

is it possible to zoom to an announcements? if not it should be.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »

If the goddamn cursor would deign to stay in the same place where we left it while switching designation modes, that would be a relief too.
Actually, I think that the cursor should be persistently visible always. You'd move it over a workshop, then press q - and then space and t would reliably inventory that same workshop. Scrolling should be possible independently from cursor position.
This is such an obvious improvement that now that I think about it, it is probably already implemented and I just don't know how to set the option...
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:12:01 pm »

is it possible to zoom to an announcements? if not it should be.
Coming this update.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:53:08 am »

What about a colour code for the job list?