Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lack of inventory in LCS 3.19?  (Read 2813 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of inventory in LCS 3.19?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 12:44:27 am »

Well, there you go then -- you can imagine that as the crowbar shows up green while you're walking by police officers in the court house, it's because the crowbar is in your pants.
Is that a crowbar in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

(I'm sorry.)

No. That's an assault rifle.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »

To be honest, I'm not sure what IS unrealistic about LCS squad members having something so simple as a backpack.

I mean, especially considering that they also have warehouses full of booby-traps and printing presses and stuff.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 02:19:39 pm »

To be honest, I'm not sure what IS unrealistic about LCS squad members having something so simple as a backpack.
What? A bunch of guys running around with backpacks?
How silly would that be?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »

I didn't say it's unrealistic or silly that one could wear a backpack, or that the LCS mysteriously doesn't have the logistical capacity to purchase backpacks. I said they aren't wearing backpacks, and it's not unrealistic that this is the case.

As I said before, look at the video of the SLA bank robbery to get an idea of how your people look. A backpack would be out of character for combat actions and breaks disguise on most stealth actions. Even GIs that have backpacks don't actually wear them in combat. America's Army leaves backpacks on friendly soldiers during combat, but that's specifically to help them to stand out, reducing friendly fire incidents during online play.

Many other games give you invisible hammerspace "backpacks" for inventory management, but they're really just looking for an excuse to give you an inventory -- they know it's going to look very unrealistic if they actually strap a heavy bag onto the back of your model as you fight your way through a horde of enemies.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:12:19 pm »

Swift, I BETTER be able to gear my squad up like GIs eventually. I have one fucking million dollars and you're telling me I can't give some people backpacks and belts?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:19 pm »

Budget doesn't have room for it. You get plenty of espresso refills though.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »

As I said before, look at the video of the SLA bank robbery to get an idea of how your people look. A backpack would be out of character for combat actions and breaks disguise on most stealth actions. Even GIs that have backpacks don't actually wear them in combat. America's Army leaves backpacks on friendly soldiers during combat, but that's specifically to help them to stand out, reducing friendly fire incidents during online play.
Even better wouldent wearing backpacks then increase our disguise allowing by making everyone think were friendly?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 05:44:05 pm »

I don't care if I'm stealthy. I equip my squad like GIs so I can kill lots of people.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:32 pm »

Buyable backpacks would be a neat idea for a future release. You could put spraycans and extra ammunition in them, but they could cause conservatives to suspect something's up if they're worn in certain locations. If you need to blend in with the conservatives, but still want to carry a bunch of liberal tools, you could buy an expensive briefcase and put your stuff in that.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:34 pm »

That's complicated to code, makes things more annoying to the player and adds little to the game.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »

That's complicated to code, makes things more annoying to the player and adds little to the game.
Other then that fact that you can carry many usefull things, that will in many situations save your ass.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 08:33:32 pm »

I don't care if I'm stealthy. I equip my squad like GIs so I can kill lots of people.

AK-47 + 9 Assault Rifle Clips + Body Armor = Kill lots of people.

What more do you need?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 09:02:27 pm »

AK-47 + 9 Assault Rifle Clips + Body Armor = Kill lots of people.

What more do you need?
A crowbar to get into the place.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 12:59:06 am »

You can break down a locked door with just an AK-47 in LCS with ease, especially if your raiding party has any juice to speak of.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 05:40:18 pm »

You can break down a locked door with just an AK-47 in LCS with ease, especially if your raiding party has any juice to speak of.
You can break doors with weapons? Huh, I dident know that...
Pages: 1 [2] 3