Poll

Your opinion on tilesets?

Make things much easier to understand
Make things look nicer
Don't make a difference to me
Make things harder to understand
Ruin the game

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tilesets  (Read 2771 times)

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »

is there a good list of these? I'm only aware of mayday.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:27 pm »

I refuse to use any graphical tilesets until Toady makes the necessary changes...IE. txt/gfx separated. After that point it will be possible to create decent graphical tilesets.  ;)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 02:01:02 pm »

I refuse to use any graphical tilesets until Toady makes the necessary changes...IE. txt/gfx separated. After that point it will be possible to create decent graphical tilesets.  ;)

Yeah, agreed. Some of the tilesets actually do look quite nice.. except for the fact that text gets all screwed up. And if you use the ones that supposedly 'avoid' screwing up text, you're inevitably going to have wonky graphical tiles.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »

is there a good list of these? I'm only aware of mayday.

Character Sets (i.e., non-creature graphics)
Graphics Sets (i.e., creature graphics)

I personally prefer Guybrush's modification of Herrbdog's set (the second one, without the fancier graphics), along with the Dystopian Rhetoric graphics set.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:23:25 pm »

I LOVE ASCII LALALAL.

It's so perfect.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »

I like square grid.

Hence, i will use tileset. Not really caring about ascii/graphics.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 02:39:58 pm »

I like tilesets, mostely because they can make the tiles nice and square, but also for estectical reasons and being able to fit more tiles on my screen.

I only got to like it once I pieced together a tileset of my own, removing the silly up/down stairs instead of the X and more of such issues.

Tilesets dont make the game more understandable to me though, I understood most of the game before installing one.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 02:47:57 pm »

I like tilesets, mostely because they can make the tiles nice and square, but also for estectical reasons and being able to fit more tiles on my screen.

For the record -- the game comes with a square 16x16 tileset included.  You don't have to download/install one, you just have to edit init.txt to use curses_square_16x16.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »

Where do I find the tileset that's, just for example, in http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35619.0.  I see it a lot, and it would be nice to install it.

Also, can I continue my current game on it, or would I need to restart?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »

That looks like Guybrush's charset.  As you can see from that page, there are lots of others to choose from as well.  Installation instructions are here.  If you're using a 40d# version, you can skip the BMP -> PNG conversion step and use the unaltered PNG.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:07 pm »

I'm not really a fan of graphics sets. I like the small window of vanilla DF and the moment you start to add in extra stuff, you get the "is that a goblin or goat?" problem, until someone makes graphics for those new things of course. Problem is, they usually don't match the graphics set you're currently using.

In short, I only don't use them because they start to clash when I mod in stuff.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »

A good tileset to use for designing massive and elaborately designed fortresses is using a nano-tileset (5x5 - 6x8 scale), and adjusting the grid accordingly. Especially helpful with large resolutions. For example, I'm using a 6x6 on a 1280x1024 resolution, and I can see 3x3 or 4x4 easy without moving around.

This should help getting the grid right: Very handy tool

The graphics may not be much, and you may suffer FPS loss, but you can definitely see everything you're working on. It's even rather helpful in Adventure Mode when it comes to navigation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:23:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

Argonnek has been quite content lately.
He is an ardent worshiper of ASCII.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:34 am »

I love ACSII, it is just nice.

With tilesets make it seem like you are babying yourself to play the game. When i teach my friends how to play i teach them ACSII unless they ask otherwise (two or three times the first couple times i tell them to suck it up).

ACSII just makes sense to me I also like the fact that i looks like I'm staring at the matrix from a long way off.

Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 03:30:52 pm »

I personally use ASCII as that was the way it was intended to be played for me at least.  I think the ASCII looks great, especially when people see and are like "wtf, are you playing a word processor?"

I was thinking of getting a tileset for my df anyways, just becuase it does look pretty.  If I were to get one it would be the... mayday pack?.. that's the one with the little dwarfs right?

I voted that it didn't matter to me, as that's pretty much my stance on it, but I'm afraid if I get a tileset then I won't use ascii, and then the others who play ascii will not like me for my screenshots :'(.

Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4