Poll

Your opinion on tilesets?

Make things much easier to understand
Make things look nicer
Don't make a difference to me
Make things harder to understand
Ruin the game

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tilesets  (Read 2764 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »

I can't comprehend mayday.  It is an obfuscating wall of pretty shiny things.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »

I use a heavily modified mayday set - 16x16.

I used ASCII for quite a while, but got mountain goats and gobbos mixed up one too many times. Mayday is pretty hard to absorb, and I modified some tiles to be clearer at the expense of prettiness.

My main problem with both ASCII and most graphics sets is that the large fields (unsmoothed/smoothed floors, stockpiles, open space, ground cover) clutter things way too much. I keep dialing them back, and other elements as well toward simplicity, leaving the furniture and critters to handle most of the eye-candy.

I found the text to be difficult to read in almost all tilesets, so I swapped in my own which I find much clearer.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »

I started out with a tile set, but later went with ascii, once I figured out the basics of the game. Mostly because I got tired of trying to figure out what the figures/diagrams people were making on here were, and because tilesets replacing letters in various screens.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 06:33:14 pm »

A small question as my power in the Search is weak.
Is there a way to get the grid square well still using the standard ASCII? Every time I take a peek at my forts in 3d I realise just how wonky my spaceing is.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:23 pm »

It's in the Init file.  Go to the wiki, it may take some figuring out.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 06:55:40 pm »

A small question as my power in the Search is weak.
Is there a way to get the grid square well still using the standard ASCII? Every time I take a peek at my forts in 3d I realise just how wonky my spaceing is.

For the record -- the game comes with a square 16x16 tileset included.  You don't have to download/install one, you just have to edit init.txt to use curses_square_16x16.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:02 am »

I made a tileset which replaces unused tiles with various animal face sprites, so that it's easier to see which creature is which.

Though sometimes I get dwarves with a cat-face or a frogman-face in the middle of their names...

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:51 am »

I use mike mayday. I Just cna't spend the time to get used to ascii.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 09:53:35 am »

When I first heard of DF I downloaded the vanilla game and tried to learn via some tutorials and gave up when I found myself hopelessly lost and hitting 'k' all the time in order to try and decipher what anything was.  A while later I decided to give it another go and found a tutorial which used the mayday tileset and from that point I was hooked.  I really don't understand the people who say that the default ASCII is clearer than the mayday tileset, when it really is more a matter of the fact that those people learned the game with the ASCII graphics and have everything memorized.  When starting out new, the mayday graphics are a thousand times more comprehensible than pure ASCII.   Recently, after reading multiple comments about how using tilesets 'ruins' the game etc I had to try with the ASCII again, and really I just cannot do it,  things are just too obscure to make any sense to me.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 12:47:31 pm »

Tilesets mess up the game dimensions for me, the game gets scruched up to the top and i can never get them to work.... probally cuz i have a widescreen monitor, but they look nice, ill give em that. Im too use to the vanilla graphics so ehh.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »

My eyes can't take the ASCII for more than an hour or so.

I simply have no choice.

When I first heard of DF I tried to play it, but it seriously hurt my eyes.  So I could never really get into it.

Finally, I discovered a tileset and finally I could actually play.

Some of use simply have no choice.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »

I don't mind the ASCII based grpahics, but a tileset makes things... nicer, Mostly the graphics remind me of old 8bit graphic games and most of all makes things 'square'
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »

I've had to do a lot of reading lately so my eyes end up fatigued and with blurry vision and a good set of graphics I can still make out a what a camel is where I might not even realize various animals were on the map if they were the same color letters as what they were walking on.

I used a tileset (font) that made trees look like trees and various common items actually look like a shirt for awhile but threw it out after switching back and forth between caring if my dwarves had levers in their names and if I wanted to remove accents. Also raised bridges looking like trees sucks.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 08:35:52 pm »

Maybe I'm odd, but I actually find the ASCII easier to understand.  Then again, I'd played some rougelikes before coming upon DF (and I never used graphics on them, either), so I was used to it, I guess.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 08:59:06 pm »

I prefer ascii, but that's merely by preference and what I'm used to. Had I started on graphics I might have been in the other camp. It also gives me that wonderful feeling of nostalgia from the days of low to zero graphics. (Long live Zork and Rogue!)
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4