Poll

Your opinion on tilesets?

Make things much easier to understand
Make things look nicer
Don't make a difference to me
Make things harder to understand
Ruin the game

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Tilesets  (Read 2763 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tilesets
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:08 am »

Just wondering who prefers tilesets to the original 'graphics' in DF? Friends of mine say DF is incomprehendable without graphics/tilesets but I honestly think it spoils the game.

Go!

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:52:07 am »

I generally don't like the vanilla because I find it hard to understand.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:56:59 am »

They make things look nicer and make them easier to understand, in that i can see at a glance if that is a camel or a child, rather than having to use k.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:30:46 am »

I'm sure I could learn ascii if given the time but really it helps soo much to have a tileset.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:00:09 am »

Do tilesets slow the game down noticeably?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

Do tilesets slow the game down noticeably?

They have absolutely zero impact.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:28:13 am »

Strange as it seems I find tilesets confusing. The sprites tend to be a bit too small and too similar for me to tell whats going on when using them. That and I find I get all the info I need to know from the ASCII in just a few frames.
But to each his own.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:38:35 am by Zona »
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:32:46 am »

I tend to use larger square tilesets, the ones that are still ASCII-ish rather than the pictogram ones.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:31:50 am »

I am kind of torn on the 'usability' aspect of tilesets. For creatures it definitely makes it easier to identify stuff quickly, but for stone I have a harder time identifying stuff for some reason.

Lately I just use a square smooth-wall character set, works well for me. Plus it's 1/4 the size (8px vs 16px) of the tileset I was using before so I can see a lot more in a given resolution.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:39:27 am »

I tend to use larger square tilesets, the ones that are still ASCII-ish rather than the pictogram ones.
Same; I can't stand non-square tiles, but I'm fine with the characters-only feel.  But some fonts are nicer on the eyes than others, and my eyes really don't appreciate the default tileset.

I do use a graphics set for units, though.  Primarily for dwarves, although having the other intelligent races represented graphically is nice, too.  Conveys more (useful) information quickly.  I don't really care about animals, though.

Nonetheless, full graphics support remains one of my biggest requests.  As I said, I'm fine with characters-only, but I'd really like to see what could be done if object graphics were completely separated out from each other.  (An 'O' doubling as a wall annoys the bejeezus out of me.)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:24:17 pm »

When i joined someone on another game told me about DF.

He told me i definately needed a tileset.

I was sure i could take what i saw.

Five minutes later i'v installed my first tileset.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:40 pm »

I find tilesets more confusing than ASCII.  Either way, the game screen is fairly inscrutable, and trying to explain what you are doing to the uninitiated is a serious mistake.

If tileset support actually begins to allow for more distinction between a shirt and a square bracket, I'd consider switching, but for now I'll stick to square ASCII sets.  Biggest issue I have is trying to locate a particular unit above ground if I only know its general location.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:10 pm »

I am in the ascii camp, since I don't really like, say, tilesets buggering up the menues, texts, interfaces and such. So I'm sticking to ASCII.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »

I am in the ascii camp, since I don't really like, say, tilesets buggering up the menues, texts, interfaces and such. So I'm sticking to ASCII.

There are tilesets that avoid this.  I prefer them.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »

I use a tileset because the ascii hurts my eyes in a bad way, but I'd like to just have plain graphics for the ground and all, but creatures be ascii, haha.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4