Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Silly/inefficient traps  (Read 2258 times)

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
Re: Silly/inefficient traps
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »

I like the idea of a stair way down,4 possible ways to travel.

path one; leads to a tower, pressure plates slowly but surely lead them to a tower were they fall to their death.

path two; they get lead to a magma chamber where they are burned to death

path three; they get taken to a chamber were they must fight a dragon or some sort of megabeast (or several megabeasts)

path 4; spikes, spears, discs, and everything nasty.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 01:46:53 am »

I have an idea that I never implement because it kills your orchards.

Cover all the fields outside your fortress with drawbridges and link them to one switch.
You probably see where this is going.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:52:54 am by Lymojo »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 03:02:10 am »

I drew out plans for a rube goldberg that first traps the enemies inside the chamber, then ends by retracting the bridge, dropping them into a pit of magma.
Its better when magma level is no more than 1 unit per square, so victims are in flames running around in smoke spread fires on each other...

Maybe you find a place for some booze barrels there for additional fun.
Finis sanctificat media.

Frogeyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »

I've been trying to make a booze trap.

Imagne a corridor, four tiles wide. Halfway down the length of the corridor will be tile-by-tile nooks carved out of the walls.

The edges of the corridors will be filled with rows of barrels of booze (I plan to make a stockpile of booze, then forbid it when it fills up).

Inside the nooks will be built cages, containing fire imps. These cages will be mechanically linked to levers.

When the invaders enter the corridor, the lever will be pulled, the cages will open, and the fire imps will attack the invaders. In doing so -- if my understanding of dwarf fortress physics is correct -- the booze will ignite in a chain reaction.

Right now I'm a long way off -- I don't even have any fire imps captured. If anyone reads this and notices a problem with my plan (ie, do exploding barrels ignite other barrels?), let me know, ok?

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »

Given that drawbridges toss enemies around like pinball flippers.. how about a large room made of nothing but drawbridges aimed in various directions, and pressure plates?  Play Goblin Pachinko! Of course, it's sort of a bummer when they land UNDER a descending drawbridge and get atomsmashed, leaving no phat lewtz.  Alternately, allow the drawbridge to sling the enemies into a short narrow hallway with a deeeep vertical pit at the end.  *Biff* when they hit the wall, then *splat* when they hit the bottom of the pit.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »

I've been trying to make a booze trap.

Imagne a corridor, four tiles wide. Halfway down the length of the corridor will be tile-by-tile nooks carved out of the walls.

The edges of the corridors will be filled with rows of barrels of booze (I plan to make a stockpile of booze, then forbid it when it fills up).

Inside the nooks will be built cages, containing fire imps. These cages will be mechanically linked to levers.

When the invaders enter the corridor, the lever will be pulled, the cages will open, and the fire imps will attack the invaders. In doing so -- if my understanding of dwarf fortress physics is correct -- the booze will ignite in a chain reaction.

Right now I'm a long way off -- I don't even have any fire imps captured. If anyone reads this and notices a problem with my plan (ie, do exploding barrels ignite other barrels?), let me know, ok?
The barrels exploding won't harm anything.

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 04:12:15 pm »

I've had an idea for a while, which may or may not be feasible. Unfortunately, it's a little . . . 'one-shot' ish.

Basically, the premise is thus: Dust from cave-ins very rapidly renders people unconscious. Supports can be built and collapsed through mechanical means.
Thus, build a hall with this kind of layout:

|X___X___X|
|__X___X__| Where X = Support, _ is floor, and | is wall (Note: view from above, not the side)
|X___X___X|

Repeating on a large scale. Each support should be linked up to one or more pressure plates beside it, which are arranged in such a fashion around the pillars that it is impossible to pass through without activating one.

Channel out the ceiling above everywhere except for the tiles directly on top of the supports.

Voila, you now have a concussion mine-field, and you will be notified the instant someone has set off one of your mines, and you will know (in case of stealthy creatures) roughly it's location too. You may now enter and capture/butcher said creature at your leisure.

Of course, the issues with this are the one-shotty nature of the mines, every time one is triggered, a new support, floor, and mechanism must be built to completely remake it. However, the complexity, IMO, makes it Dwarfish enough to be considered. I'm also unsure if a one tile cave in produces enough dust.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 04:29:39 pm »

a floor collapsing would be perfectly acceptable for this purpose.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »

I know you don't hAve magma, but I'm thinking about that right now. One idea I have is a generic magma shower with overhead aqueduct that will fill the area between my outer and inner castle walls. Having it fall like 10 a levels.

The other would be a carbonite freezer. Drown them, then make obsidian with their corpses. Or just do it before they drown.

I like the idea of chasing them to a dead end, I was thinking of something similar that would chase them into an underground chamber. If they get there they close the floodgates, but also release the caged hydra.
www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.
Pages: 1 [2]