Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Silly/inefficient traps  (Read 2257 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silly/inefficient traps
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:03:31 pm »

So, my current world has 4 aggressive races that are active every season. Obviously, I'm going to have a big meat grinder on my hands.

I decided to make my fort a big death trap, with tons of different manual trap systems that invaders must get across. For example, simple things like bridges dropping invaders down shafts, to more fun things like massive drowning towers (yes, towers). Any invaders that are let past the traps will just be caged or shot.

However, my creativity when it comes to DF traps is fairly limited. I was wondering what kinds of things you guys could come up with? I'd prefer nothing that involves a bunch of pressure-plate and water systems.

Still, I'm gonna be uploading this map whenever I'm finished with it so please post any ideas you have. I don't have magma, sadly.

However, I have a river and I love working with water, so any traps involving water are greatly encouraged. Currently my drowning chamber will function like this; baddies enter at the bottom of the tower, the exit is at the top. Water is pumped from a reservoir below the tower up above to a hole where it can shower down into the chamber. As the baddies move around a spiral staircase to the top, the water level slowly increases till it drowns them. Once it reaches a certain level near the top, a grated off pressure plate will activate the trap doors which will let the water back out into the reservoir.

If the baddies can outrun the water they get to live for a bit longer.

Anyway, what other ideas do you guys have? I'll also be making a massive flooding machine which can flood my whole fort just in case anything bad happens (I get bored).
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silly/inefficient traps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:45 am »

I've always been a huge fan of a drawbridge over a pit... filled with serrated blade traps.
Its strangely satisfying to imagine the goblins going "Oh shi-" *BRZZZTTTT* and find limbs flying all over the place.

I call it the shredder.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:29:41 am »

I drew out plans for a rube goldberg that first traps the enemies inside the chamber, then ends by retracting the bridge, dropping them into a pit of magma. Because the magma is an integral part of the system, it would take a really long time. Haven't tried to actually build it, so I have no clue how long it would take.

Normally, I just keep a corridor of cage traps with a few weapon traps at the end. Very effective and supplies me with gladiators for my arena.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:36:42 am »

I have never tried this, but what about a TOILET that you drop enemies into. You could just drain them all into a chamber with a repeating draw bridge that destroys their bodies.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58:35 am »

I have never tried this, but what about a TOILET that you drop enemies into. You could just drain them all into a chamber with a repeating draw bridge that destroys their bodies.
Better yet, build it above a bottomless pit and have it drain into it, after swirling around of course.
Or to make it even MORE weird, have a sewage system for the toilet going through your fortress.
Or even WORSE, give each dwarf a 2x2 room, put one chair inside and a shower system, make sure your sewage system runs under each bathroom.
oh god what have I done

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:07:56 am »

You sir, have invented dwarf plumbing. Now to make dwarves magma-proof and replace your silly watery system with magma.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:00 am »

You sir, have invented dwarf plumbing. Now to make dwarves magma-proof and replace your silly watery system with magma.
You can borrow my miner, he is magma proof... but none of my other dwarfs are
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:52:44 am »

you could chain kittens and place 1 pressure plate around them. if they, by any chance step on the pressure plate, make a fool proof killing baddies trap activate, magma is advised.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:31:16 am »

One thing I'm gonna do is make my food/refuse pile in a pit which I can drop down a few z-levels into.

They'll be maimed and hopefully paralyzed, and they'll be laying in garbage  :D
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:20 am »

Why don't we use steam based traps?

What's better than water? MAGMA. What's better than Magma? MAGMA AND WATER! Not only do you kill those silly Gobbos, but you can have an effective obsidian farm too.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:54 pm »

Use raising bridges attached to a pressure plate so that the goblins think they are just marching across a floor mural until halfway through the walls pop up, splatting half of them and putting them in a windie maze where they have to path through all those traps that were places off to the side where they normally wouldn't even consider going.

yeznik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »

One thing I've been interested in trying is using drawbridges as catapults, anyone know if length has any effect on distance? 

(Wish DF worked on consoles peckin' this out on my ps3 in the middle of nowhere :D)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:25 pm »

I tried out a new flame catapult idea.  Basic summary: firing the glitched steel/ lignite bins from a bridge.  Result: awesome booze explosion, and plenty of dwarf chunks.  Hmm, may need modifications.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

What's better than water? MAGMA. What's better than Magma? MAGMA AND WATER! Not only do you kill those silly Gobbos, but you can have an effective obsidian farm too.
Unfortunately, I have no magma. However, I am considering modding it in with Dtil or something.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »

Unfortunately, I have no magma. However, I am considering modding it in with Dtil or something.
And steam no longer boils people alive.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2