Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Project: adding the missing values to the raws  (Read 3205 times)

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
Re: Project: adding the missing values to the raws
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:18:10 am »

Thanks The13thRonin. :)

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 06:19:30 am »

I've added a sheet with a matrix showing what field for which items we might provide values for. A lot of fields are not in the current version of DF, but from the new raws, and the matrix isn't complete.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »

I don't -quite- understand the new chart.  Are the X's supposed to be replaced by values?  What's with the "Applies to" column, which is filled with nothing but stone?

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »

Whoops. The "applies to" column should have been deleted (and now has been).

The X's are meant to indicate that, for instance, all the various stones can have a boiling point, but the various kinds of bone can't. That way you know you don't need to waste time researching the boiling point of, for instance, moose bone.

When I started on the table, I expected that there would be a lot of tags that only applied to certain items. Turns out that most actually apply to pretty much everything. Hence the huge number of X's. Not quite as useful as I hoped it would be, but I only found that out after I'd done most of the work already. D'oh!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:20:13 am »

Still working on it?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:55 am »

'Fraid not. My attention has shifted to other things.

I did send the data we have so far to Toady, and he said he found it useful.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »

Why not have either an ignition point or boiling point for everything?

Also, do you want metallurgical things like malleability, ductility, brittlity, fracture toughness, hardness, strength, and maybe a corrosion resistance value? If so, how fine do you want to have alloys divided? I would want all those values for at least all the pure elemental metals, common alloys of copper, and at least iron, steel, and stainless steel; I am willing to do the research if you can: (a) Tell me the units to use, and the materials you want to detail to that level. (b) commit to making sure the work is available to the great toady one in a format usable by him. Which portions he uses in any given version are entirely up to him, and I do know that most of it will be abstracted away anyway.

Oh, and all those properties are temperature-dependent. I could run a least-squares regression and give a close function over temperature, or give a few values at given temperatures, or just one at room temperature.

I just love the idea of getting a meaningfull answer to "How much damage does the lead mace do the the steel door?" and "How much damage does the elf skull do to the copper mace?"
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »

Look at sheet 2, it says how the new material properties are in the raws.

I thought about the temperature problem, and it's a bit annoying.

Corrosion resistance? hmmmm.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:39 am »

Oh, I see sheet 2 now.

But KPa isn't a measurement of yield strength of a material. (Fracture) Toughness should have units of energy, strengths in force/cross sectional area, and elasticity should have some wonky units that escape me at the moment, or be on an arbitrary scale with a few defined points.

For corrosion resistance, I was thinking of

0-Does not corrode/forms a passive oxide layer under all conditions/resists acid (Glass)
1-Does not corrode in salt water/resists mild acids (Stainless steel)
2-Corrodes in salt water/does not resist acid (Steel)
3-Corrodes in fresh water (Iron) (Wood?)
4-Corrodes in dry air (food?)

Perhaps breaking out corrosion resistance and acid resistance would be warranted.

EDIT: Proper units for yield strength are indeed force/area; Toughness is in units of force/(distance^1.5). I've found a (free!) software package that I think will provide all the data I want... but it's the United States Air Force Crack Growth Analysis tool, and is rather larger than I can handle. 2 GB recommended RAM, so we probably won't be seeing hyperrealistic damage to things in a DF release.

So far, only one actual value; Turns out my college library doesn't have the resources I thought it did. This week I'll check the quality of the interlibrary services.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:21:54 pm by decius »
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:08 am »

It's not clear whether people are still working on this, but if you are, you may be interested in:

www.matweb.com?

It has a whole load of information which is reasonably difficult to get to (searching for nickel gives hundreds of returns as it has obscure alloys, trade names etc.)

Seems potentially useful though, see example information for Nickel:

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=e6eb83327e534850a062dbca3bc758dc&ckck=1

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »

Last I heard that mentioned, it was that "if only this had rock info too", but this is mere hearsay.
Tilesets

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »

I like it. It seems to have most of the actual data I need for metals and possibly woods.

For rocks and other natural minerals, most of the material properties are based on the amount and type of impurities. I think the best bet is to have ballpark figures for raw stone. These will not be valid for worked stone.
Pages: 1 [2]