Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A victim turned into a survivor.  (Read 1773 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
A victim turned into a survivor.
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:07:18 pm »

I hastily drafted a recruit in the first spring of my fortress, in order to deal with a stupid werewolf. He couldn't fight worth a darn, and his left arm was first broken, then the same arm ripped off at the shoulder, by the dang werewolf. The werewolf was killed by another dwarf, and he was rescued and brought to a bed.

He started resting and most of his wounds healed, with the exception of the arm. Thanks to the new well, and the loving careof his friends, he did not die alone and forgotten. However, even after two years of resting he wouldn't get up. Obviously, he wasn't very bright, and was waiting for the broken bone in his arm to mend. Little did he realize that it won't heal if disconnected from the body.

Until, one day, a miracle happened.

He was struck by a fey mood, and finally resumed consciousness. He perseveres, slowly, but surely, against the constant agony of a severed arm. Although he can barely manage one step before passing out again from the pain, he soldiers on, and is almost done gathering the list of supplies he desires.

This story truly goes to show that there truly is hope for any bedridden dwarf   to once again become a functional member of society, if only you believe in them.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: A victim turned into a survivor.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:10:41 pm »

Once the mood is over, he'll dive right back into that bed. Or proceed there at whatever speed he can manage.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:36 pm »

If his toughness gets high enough he might become usable; I have a couple one-eyed and one-lunged dwarves that used to pass out all the time but have since gotten tough enough to power through. I've never had a dwarf who lost a whole arm, though, that might be too serious.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:49 pm »

Yeah, tough to recommend making him a marksdwarf.  ::)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:45:48 pm »

Yeah, tough to recommend making him a marksdwarf.  ::)

Couldn't he weave the crossbow into his beard?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Doomulosity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:26 pm »

Couldn't he weave the crossbow into his beard?

The Dwarfbeard could be used as a primitive gyro-stabilization system.  Assuming this, he could easily fire from the hip, and operate the windlass with his teeth.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:35:17 pm »

Place his bed in the meeting hall, and have some kids to stand next to him and on top of him talking.  Might raise stats.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:38:00 pm »

If the mood succeeds, he'll get a nice stat boost, which could include enough Toughness to make him ignore the injury. And if it fails, well, his stats will become irrelevant in short order.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »

After playing today, he started working in the workshop, on something boney. He's already extremely tough, so I don't know how much he'll need. I forget how many months moods usually take, though.

On the subject of one-eyed marksdwarves, my sheriff lost his wife and then his right eye to a werewolf before he strangled it do death. He is now a champion marksdwarf. I've never seen him pass out from pain.

Side-note, one can load and fire a crossbow one-handed. Point it at the ground and hol it down with your foot. Pull the string up to cock it. Load the bolt. Pick-up the crossbow and fire pistol-style.
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »

I can't wait to see if we can forge metal prostheses for our dwarves, then we can be like Gotz the german mercenary or Guts from Berserk. Guts had a repeater crossbow attached to his metal arm, maybe that's what this dwarf can do. Apparently that's the normal kind of crossbow used in the game considering the rate of fire of champions is impossible with a normal crossbow.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55:33 pm »

As to the problem of a one armed marksdwarf, i have 3 words.

Pelvic..Thrusting..Action!!!

He reloads with the one arm.

Goblin - "Is that a crossbow in your pants or are you happy to see me?"
Urist McPelvicthrust - "Both!!!"
Goblin - "???"
"THUNK!"
Goblin - "You missed..."
Urist McPelvicthrust - "That's besides the point!"
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:58:14 pm »

If his toughness gets high enough he might become usable; I have a couple one-eyed and one-lunged dwarves that used to pass out all the time but have since gotten tough enough to power through. I've never had a dwarf who lost a whole arm, though, that might be too serious.

Dang... I just had the leader of my military get his arm chopped off while sparring, Well I'll just wait to see if he get's better then  :).
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:14 pm »

Side-note... Pick-up the crossbow and fire pistol-style.

Yah, a fiberglass target crossbow.  Try doing that with a bismuth bronze arbalest and get back to me.  ::)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:34 pm »

Side-note... Pick-up the crossbow and fire pistol-style.

Yah, a fiberglass target crossbow.  Try doing that with a bismuth bronze arbalest and get back to me.  ::)
Thats beside the point. The point is that a big enough bad-ass of a dwarf could manage it if he wanted to. Captain Ironblood could dual-wield them if he didn't consider crossbows a coward's weapon.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:26 pm »

Captain Ironblood could dual-wield them if he didn't consider crossbows a coward's weapon.

Oh, Captain Ironblood! Well, of course, that changes everything...
Pages: [1] 2