Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I suck at DF.  (Read 2684 times)

Orange Drink

I suck at DF.
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:45 am »

I keep hearing all of the epic stories of magma cannons spewing utter destruction at stuff, and made me realize I have been playing DF for a year, just to suck at it. If you saw any of my forts, you guys would find me a heretic.

Why? because:

• I haven't reached the HFS. ever.
  • I have not discovered anything underground.
  • I haven't done anything awesome with magma or water for that matter.
  • The first time I got nobles was just last week.
  • I have not built anything remotely large aboveground.
  • I have not experienced any form of onslaught involving elephants, unicorns, and/or carp.
  • I haven't even made a single bar of steel.
  • I haven't even KILLED ELVES!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: I suck at DF.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11:10 am »

If you were a juice instead of a drink, you wouldn't have these kinds of problems. :|

Actually, I don't think you suck at DF. You just get different things out of the game than other people do. DF is more of a sandbox than game that forces you to do all of those things to feel satisfied in your playing.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:11 am »

But did you have... Fun?

All things, in the long run, are merely tools to facilitate greater Fun. And also non-capitalized 'fun', whatever it may be.

Orange Drink

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:21:52 am »

But did you have... Fun?

All things, in the long run, are merely tools to facilitate greater Fun. And also non-capitalized 'fun', whatever it may be.

No, I have not had any "Fun" as you call it in my many forts, except that most of them have succumbed to the fate of Boredom. I have had one that was almost "Fun", where I embarked on a terrifying plain, where I succumbed to boredom again and sent everyone to charge the skeletal horses under the cover of daylight. sadly, there was a single child left who I couldn't activate. Not liking to abandon forts, I waited until he grew up, and finlly went melancholy because his pet horse was killed  by the skeletal horses.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:45:44 am »

Orc mod, and do you take off invaders on the init.txt?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:58:08 am »

• I haven't reached the HFS. ever.
  • I have not discovered anything underground.
  • I haven't done anything awesome with magma or water for that matter.
  • The first time I got nobles was just last week.
  • I have not built anything remotely large aboveground.
  • I have not experienced any form of onslaught involving elephants, unicorns, and/or carp.
  • I haven't even made a single bar of steel.
  • I haven't even KILLED ELVES!

1. I haven't either. HFS is just a bonus on top of the cake when it comes to fortresses.
2. Magma floods etc. are mostly doomsday plans. Do them when you're bored of your fortress.
3. Many people kill off their nobles as soon as they get them, so you're not really missing out.
4. Underground megaprojects work just as well
5. Animal invasions are only exciting in the early game. Later-game fortresses (I'm thinking Nist Akath especially) slaughter inhabitant animals (e.g. I had trouble with zombie camels for about 2-3 years, before I got 5 champions who could slaughter the entire population singlehandedly).
6. Iron works (almost) as well.
7. Generate a world where the elves are at war with the dwarves. It's kinda boring. They turn up, they die in droves. A few dwarves with cheap metal gear beats the everloving crap out of elves.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:33:05 am by stormbringer951 »
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:15:48 am »

But did you have... Fun?

No, I have not had any "Fun" as you call it in my many forts,

No, i don't think he means "fun", i think he just means fun. Have you had any?
Magma is overrated.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:50 am »

Hmm... I had that problem once. I think I solved it by setting myself a few small projects to use my spare dwarves on. Lever-op gate guards, thin spires, and whatnot. There's often a stretch of semi-boredom in between the intense embark years and the seige armies. The time, I suppose, would be best used to prepare for them. I spent most of it designing luxury quarters, temples, catacombs, and shopping districts, though, and I still survived all right.

As for dwarfy things I don't do in DF...

• I actively avoid HFS, thanks to the annoying King bug.
  • My big liquid project was casting an obsidian tower to drop down a chasm. It was small, and I managed to botch the entire thing.
  • I haven't antagonised any elves, at least no more than waving dead trees at them.
  • I've only gotten nobles once.
  • My aboveground structures could be best described as 'passably small'
  • Wildlife around my forts is entirely apathetic, unless modded
  • I think I've maybe melted enough steel to get a bar once.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »

I do so much modding that I have to regen my worlds very often, so I haven't gotten to the HFS, haven't built a FTW device, haven't made steel, haven't killed elves, or had any deadly wildlife. I still have plenty of fun though. Just not much "fun."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:35:15 pm »

(1)I don't think I honestly put an effort into playing actual dwarves in fortress mode since....2D.(the horror)

(2)I try to be nice to the elves.

(3)I don't kill my nobles(without good reason)

(4) I have never turned quarry bushes into a food source.

(5) I have never made soap.

(6) I have never made an alchimests lab.

(7) I have never gotten a king the normal way.

(8) I have never(intentionally) killed anything with magma.

(9) I have never killed anything with a megatrap.

Wow, I feel significantly less awesome now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:37:05 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:11:15 pm »

1) I have flooded a fortress with magma.
2) I have found native platinum within the first season.
3) I have built a skylight that covers my dining room with a tower to protect it. The tower has a catapult on it. I am hoping a dragon comes and flies into the skylight.
4) I have had one dwarf go melancholy . And 7 fey moods total, the current one will also likely go insane.
5) I manage a cave-in from building my tower that killed a dwarf and almost flooded my fortress. Luckily I had put floodgates up in defense and had enough doors to stop it, and empty it.
6) I have struck microcline!
7) I made a ring menacing with too many spikes to wear (at least I think so).
8) I have managed to fulfill one trade agreement.

Why go on about what you haven't done?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:21:29 am »

1) I have flooded a fortress with magma.
2) I have found native platinum within the first season.
3) I have built a skylight that covers my dining room with a tower to protect it. The tower has a catapult on it. I am hoping a dragon comes and flies into the skylight.
4) I have had one dwarf go melancholy . And 7 fey moods total, the current one will also likely go insane.
5) I manage a cave-in from building my tower that killed a dwarf and almost flooded my fortress. Luckily I had put floodgates up in defense and had enough doors to stop it, and empty it.
6) I have struck microcline!
7) I made a ring menacing with too many spikes to wear (at least I think so).
8) I have managed to fulfill one trade agreement.

Why go on about what you haven't done?

Good idea...
I also found native platinum in my first season. On my first serious fort too.

I have struck all the major "useless" rocks (orthoclase, alunite, & microcline).

I have built a giant tower to Armok with a gladiator arena at the bottom (with natural white walls and a white altar).

I've had a tantrum spiral from lack of booze.

I've gotten a baron and killed him, his consort, and the hammerer upon arrival.

I've built a screw pump out of bauxite (didn't finish the magma reservoir I was going to use it for though).

I've used cave-ins as mass-mining techniques for leveling the landscape.

The list continues.

Orange Drink

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:18 am »

Things I have done in DF:

• I keep embarking on mountains made of obsidian, and have loads of aluminium.
  • I have struck all useless stones.
  • I have struck a cinnabar vein that runs through another cinnabar vein which runs through another cinnabar vein.
  • I fired a ballista at goblins once. It missed by 50 tiles.
  • I started to build an epic statue on top of my trade depot, completely made out of alunite. I ran out of alunite.

I've started to make a place on a glacier. This should be fun.

Koki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 04:08:04 am »

I feel you OP. My list is pretty similiar to yours*. Every time I read these boards I just think I'm playing the game wrong. I'm a "safe" player in general and I play DF safe, so nothing is usually happening and by the time I have 50 dwarves and means to actually do something, I get bored and start a new fortress.

Well, either way, it keeps me busy!

* - Except killing elves. I mean, come on. When I'm deciding on where to place the Trade Depot, two things I consider are a) Can I lock someone inside and b) How close it is to the storages. In that order.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:35 am »

Rule number One : don't savescum(often).
Rule Number Two : don't seal your fort
Pages: [1] 2 3