Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 811253 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #6570 on: January 07, 2010, 03:30:45 pm »

Join up guys, we are trying to start a real round on the server!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:49 pm »

oki! :3
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:44 pm »

I really hate having to clean up after stupid traitors.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: January 07, 2010, 07:14:59 pm »

i was wondering if we can make a change to the head sets.

right know when you type ' ; ' it broadcast what ever you said across the radio.
i was wondering if we can have it so that if some one types ' # ' they would then broadcast across a another Frequency that would only be used for say, security and forensic people. maybe have another specialized frequency for atmos and the station engineers to talk over.

also have it in the headset's settings the ability to turn the listening to the specialized frequencies on or off.
It's do-able, just a little more in-depth than a simple text command.  You can change frequencies on the headsets.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: January 07, 2010, 07:22:06 pm »

Well that sucked. STupid AI's.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: January 07, 2010, 07:22:41 pm »

Hehe, sorry beorn :P.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: January 07, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »

Nobody is on, yet the server is still up.

EDIT: *facepalm*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:53:12 pm by zchris13 »

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: January 07, 2010, 07:42:50 pm »

The headset thing would only really work if:
A) Security et al. had a unique headset object, or
B) That frequency were accessible only with an ID with appropriate accesses (or if the radio were hacked).
It might be simpler if Security were just given SBRs with the frequency or something, or just use the station intercomms.  It wouldn't be as easy to use, but it also wouldn't take any real programming to do.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »

More right click options available from the equip screen without taking it off please.  Also goes for such things as Oxygen bottles and oxygen and plasma tanks.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: January 07, 2010, 07:51:33 pm »

Nobody is on, yet the server is still up.
I had to go poopie, and forgot to turn it off.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6580 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:50 pm »

Would it work out if I coded headsets to allow up to 5 channels on at once, set by an admin var, and on each have it on or off for both sending and recieving?

Each would display diffrently, and you could select the one you want to talk into with #n with n replaced by a number between 1 and maxChannels. ; would use the first. Maybe have the option to hack the headset to show all radio traffic?

And also have a prefix to broadcast on all channels.

Just would need to know where to get the code...
(If possible, I would just download the relevant code sections and update just those, to conserve internet.)
Eh?
Eh!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:24 pm »

Perfect. Hop to it, soldier!  EDIT: This post has no useful content yet. I am remedying this situation.

Would it be possible to restrict the channels available based on ID?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:26:32 pm by zchris13 »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6582 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »

(Need a link to the code, first though. I would rather not miss an important update...)
Eh?
Eh!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: January 07, 2010, 09:31:23 pm »

(I don't think you're getting one this time of night)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #6584 on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:44 pm »

Personally I don't really like the current comms system we have. I have an alternate system to suggest and I would like everyone's input.

Firstly, I like the idea of using wall comms more than the headset for speaking to the whole station. There's so much that's said over comms that really would make for better RP if people just found the person and said it to them directly. I mean, imagine how crazy it would be if on the SS Enterprise every time anyone wanted to have a talk about something they used the comms and spoke to the whole ship. One way to cut that down is to make talking over comms a bit harder, you go up to the unit, click it and type what you want to say (much as you do for adminhelp) then that's broadcast to all comms units (and headsets) set to the general frequency of 145.9. It also gives those things a use beyond interesting spy devices that hardly ever get employed as such.

The second point is the headsets, I don't think everyone should have one. I don't think it adds to the RP that everyone at any time right from the get go can communicate with anyone else. I think they should be handed out as equipment to people who might need them, and for those people to set the frequency to something specific, like the security team using headsets set to a security frequency (that they decide in game) so they can actually discuss important stuff without the bad guys hearing it because everyone just uses the same global comms frequency... but without forcing them to then miss important announcements over the regular comms (because they're presumably in a room where an actual comms unit is present and it's being broadcast through that). This would then give people who get hold of a headset some really interesting options, tuning into frequencies trying to find one that's in use by the enemy, or indeed the security forces trying to work out what frequency the syndies are using, etc.

The AI. Now, the AI is already a powerful role and giving it too much power unbalances the game. So I've discarded my first thought about the AI being able to listen to all comms units across the ship at once because it would make it too hard for anyone to work against the station. As the AI I have on occasion used the wall comms, set their frequency to something else, one of my 3 comms units, disabled the mic on the unit set to 145.9, and used it as a two way radio to a specific room. But that is just so much trouble it's painful! I'm an AI, presumably a super computer... why does operating more than one radio feel like I'm trying to drive a car without an engine? Or any wheels?? So I have a revamp idea for the AI when it comes to comms:

Firstly, the AI still has it's three comms units, but one would be marked differently than the others and instead of having to click on it to send a message (as the new comms units would need) this one would continue to opperate as they do right now. That is, it has a mic active and anything the AI says in the normal chat will get broadcast over it. This allows the AI to communicate over general comms normally. The other two radios would require you to click on them then type the message you want to 'say' over the comms, and it would then get broadcast over the frequency it was set to, but not said out loud in the room thus not also broadcast over the general channel. This seems the most convenient way to make this sort of thing work for general replies over specific frequencies without a lot of <move back to AI room, deactivate mic on general comms, activate mic on specific radio I want to use, use it, switch mic back off, switch general comms back on> which really takes a long time. Also, when it receives a message from any comms unit, this isn't simply broadcast in the room so that it gets re-broadcast over the general comms, but we can assume it receives the message directly.

Secondly, I suggest that the AI's camera's be capable of listening too (if the camera's shut off, so too is the mic), when viewing the station through a camera that camera's mic is active and the AI hears anything said in the room/vicinity of it as frequency [CAMERA]. This would allow the AI to listen in on things, I mean, even if it doesn't have ears, it's a super powerful AI and I'm sure it would be able to lip read in most cases that it could see lips... (and let's assume it can always see them in the same way we assume people have eyes in the back of their heads currently). Now, obviously it would want to reply to people, which moves onto the third idea for the AI and comms:

If the AI clicks any wall mounted comms unit, (not it's own, as those just broadcast over a specific frequency) it can send a message to that comms unit /alone/. If the captain asks the AI something (maybe we should set up a default AI frequency, 145.7 or something, so people can tune their comms into that frequency to ask the AI something private--this would only work if the AI's other radios don't simply broadcast the message aloud so it gets fed to the general comms unit and rebroadcast globally), maybe asks the AI to keep an eye on someone suspicious, then the AI would be able to click on the comms unit near the captain to respond directly with the captain and only them. It wouldn't get sent out over freq 145.9 the same way it would if anyone else simply clicked on the comms unit and typed a message. A special clause checking if the player is the AI when using a comms unit would make this possible.

As an additional idea, though this one is optional, you could allow the AI to talk directly to the headsets of any staff who are wearing one, in much the same way it can use the wall mounted intercoms. Click on the person, if they have a headset, the option to send them a message is present.

That's my idea. I'm quite confident having looked over the code that I could implement this change myself if the rest of the community felt it was a worthwhile addition.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:40:28 pm by Cernunnos »
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 950