Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810948 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #5820 on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »

Even better. Allow admins to disable the game ending 3 minutes after the escape shuttle arrives, and give them the ability to spawn blobs/plasma/N2O/drop a few players in there with revolvers as a fun diversion for the crew trying to escape the hellhole they created.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:36 pm »

Incidentally, is that "at most maybe 2" referring to two per pipeline, or two total?

2 per connected pipeline.  I noticed this often when checking the CO2 canister levels in the old engine.  Typically one would be outputting at normal rates, and the other one would be just barely outputting every now and then due to the pipe already having its max capacity.

Given the way it's designed currently, One from each side would probably be pumping constantly, while the other 4 from each side would be contributing very minor amounts.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: December 22, 2009, 02:53:28 pm »

I also noticed the map doesent have a prototype engine.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5823 on: December 22, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »

As for the earlier mentioned emergency doors/lockers that open when the power is out, greifing potantial?

If they autolock after, you can stuff a player inside and they are stuck.

If they don't, cycling the power instantly grants permanent supply after.

The best solution might be autolock, but with "an intenal release button" that allows anyone inside to open them unless they are welded shut, but even then, someone just tosses some essential item like an ID card or similar inside...

Maybe giving officers emergency override, so they can unlock them when the power is not out, but even then...
Eh?
Eh!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: December 22, 2009, 03:24:52 pm »

As for the earlier mentioned emergency doors/lockers that open when the power is out, greifing potantial?

The best solution might be autolock, but with "an intenal release button" that allows anyone inside to open them unless they are welded shut, but even then, someone just tosses some essential item like an ID card or similar inside...

Maybe giving officers emergency override, so they can unlock them when the power is not out, but even then...

How could we give people we hardly know acess to SO MUCH PLASMA!?!?!?
Oh they are engineering.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: December 22, 2009, 03:27:17 pm »

Quote from: QuakeIV
Hey i have a suggestion, for logics sake you know.

I was thinking, it takes 10 minutes for the escape shuttle to arrive right? Then it gets back to centcomm instantly, so im suggesting that you teleport the ship into a third sorta 'transit' z-level for the duration of the travel time.
For logic's sake it's good, but from a playability standpoint it's a waste of time.  Players would get bored because not only does it restrict them to one tiny space with nothing to do, all it does is wastes time until the game ends.

If it helps, just imagine there's a time lapse between leaving the station and arriving at CentComm.

Quote from: beorn080
Even better. Allow admins to disable the game ending 3 minutes after the escape shuttle arrives, and give them the ability to spawn blobs/plasma/N2O/drop a few players in there with revolvers as a fun diversion for the crew trying to escape the hellhole they created.
I'll leave that up to a real programmer.

Quote from: Cecilff2
2 per connected pipeline.  I noticed this often when checking the CO2 canister levels in the old engine.  Typically one would be outputting at normal rates, and the other one would be just barely outputting every now and then due to the pipe already having its max capacity.

Given the way it's designed currently, One from each side would probably be pumping constantly, while the other 4 from each side would be contributing very minor amounts.
Alright, well, I'll definately work on that.

Quote from: qwertyuiopas

This is starting to get very complex very quickly, so I'm going to throw out a fiat that I'm just going to stick to airlocks/pod doors/security closets to hold the oxygen tanks on the arrival shuttle.  Not trying to be a dick about it, but, besides the fact that even a simple programming task in the game is going to be a challenge for me, the arrival shuttle does not require power, so at least for this issue it's rather irrelevant.  Such a door/locker would be great for other situations, but that'll have to be done a different time or by someone else.

EDIT:
Quote from: QuakeIV
I also noticed the map doesent have a prototype engine.
Not yet it doesn't.  It's a bit back in the list, I want to get the essentials finished first, but I will make one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:33:43 pm by Trorbes »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: December 22, 2009, 03:44:31 pm »

Mine was merely a "Hey I just thought of a good idea," rather then an actual expectation for a mapper to do serious code work.

I must say I wouldn't mind having a game right now, but only if there is a decent number of people who also want to play right now. No fun running around by myself.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »

Im also up for a game
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: December 22, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »

YEAH ME TOO!  ;D

Come on, host!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: December 22, 2009, 04:03:45 pm »

I too could use a game, both as a break and to get some perspective on how the station SHOULD work.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: December 22, 2009, 04:24:39 pm »

Wheres a host when you need one...
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #5831 on: December 22, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »

I would love to play a game on this new map real soon.

Awesome work dude!

I like the changes to the chapel, it seems less of an afterthought now (I enjoy playing Chaplain, as I am quite religious IRL)

Also, I agree that the AI needs more protection. Right now if the crew gets a whiff that the AI may be up to no good they can be in there and destroying it very quickly. IIRC in the last map the AI even had some turrets. Those would be awesome. (Playing as the AI is also fun :D)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #5832 on: December 22, 2009, 05:34:58 pm »

Trorbes, again your ideas and responses to ours are spot on, it's nice that you're putting so much thought into this and clear that you're thinking from a playability point of view at least as much as a 'this looks cool' point of view :) (Which it does, by the way, in case you missed the overflowing sentiment from all the other posts so far hehe)

In regards to my suggestion for the security lockers and bulkheads in the shuttle I didn't know that it isn't hooked up to the main power system though thinking back I've never seen it without power lol. So that's just me not thinking hard enough I'm afraid. In regards to the coding side of it I'm more than happy to do the work regarding the ideas (if they would be useful for the rest of the station), though on that point I'm sure I could create some special clauses for the shuttle if you wanted to add any specific functionality on it.

@Volatar: There's been something about AI malfunction that I've always been a bit annoyed with, the way CentComm advises everyone that the AI is malfunctioning. I've only experienced this on Goonstation so far, but I noticed the message exists in the BayStation code as well (though didn't check if that code was actually used or not). I was wondering if anyone would mind if we took that warning out? Unlike traitor where even if you know there is one you don't immediately know who it is so the whole station doesn't know exactly where they need to go and what they need to do to kill him, the AI is a bit of a giant bullseye.

By removing the warning, then the AI has a lot more chance to be sneaky and you get the chance to see some real HAL9000 style game play "I'm afraid one of my external sensors is malfunctioning... someone will need to go out and fix it. Alone. >.>" I feel that generally people get suspicious quickly as things start doing weird stuff like doors spontaneously being electrified, or airlocks opening without warning, so I don't feel it would make it unfairly difficult to work out what's killing everyone but it would give AI players more opportunity to succeed depending on how sneaky and intelligently they go about killing people off and deflecting suspicion onto others. "Urst McEngineeer has just been electrocuted trying to access the south maintenance corridor, I suspect Urst McInnocent has been tampering with the doors. I mean look at those shifty little eyes he has..."

I'd love to know what people think about this idea, and the other general warning messages.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:19:09 pm by Cernunnos »

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: December 22, 2009, 05:59:19 pm »

Also, I agree that the AI needs more protection. Right now if the crew gets a whiff that the AI may be up to no good they can be in there and destroying it very quickly. IIRC in the last map the AI even had some turrets. Those would be awesome. (Playing as the AI is also fun :D)

Looks like it has 6 turrets in there.(Yes it's odd, but its those six weird looking things in there)

If you changed the warning message for Malfunction you'd need to change how the mode works.  As it is currently, the crew are informed of the malfunction and then have 10(or is it 20?) minutes before the AI compromises the station's systems and gains full control(And the ability to nuke the station apparently).  If the AI never does anything suspicious and there's no alert about it, it wins by default.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #5834 on: December 22, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »

@Volatar: There's been something about AI malfunction that I've always been a bit annoyed with, the way CentComm advises everyone that the AI is malfunctioning. I've only experienced this on Goonstation so far, but I noticed the message exists in the BayStation code as well (though didn't check if that code was actually used or not). I was wondering if anyone would mind if we took that warning out? Unlike traitor where even if you know there is one you don't immediately know who it is so the whole station doesn't know exactly where they need to go and what they need to do to kill him, the AI is a bit of a giant bullseye.

By removing the warning, then the AI has a lot more chance to be sneaky and you get the chance to see some real HAL9000 style game play "I'm afraid one of my external sensors is malfunctioning... someone will need to go out and fix it. Alone. >.>" I feel that generally people get suspicious quickly as things start doing weird stuff like doors spontaneously being electrified, or airlocks opening without warning, so I don't feel it would make it unfairly difficult to work out what's killing everyone but it would give AI players more opportunity to succeed depending on how sneaky and intelligently they go about killing people off and deflecting suspicion onto others. "Urst McEngineeer has just been electrocuted trying to access the south maintenance corridor, I suspect Urst McInnocent has been tampering with the doors. I mean look at those shifty little eyes he has..."

I'd love to know what people think about this idea, and the other general warning messages.

I am in 100% support of this change. I would really love to play a "hal" style AI :)

Looks like it has 6 turrets in there.(Yes it's odd, but its those six weird looking things in there)

If you changed the warning message for Malfunction you'd need to change how the mode works.  As it is currently, the crew are informed of the malfunction and then have 10(or is it 20?) minutes before the AI compromises the station's systems and gains full control(And the ability to nuke the station apparently).  If the AI never does anything suspicious and there's no alert about it, it wins by default.

Didn't realize those were turrets, so cool then.

I think that changing the mode so that the AI is basically a modified traitor would be best. Where the AI has a specific objective, be it "facilitate the destruction of the station through some means" or "Kill all the players" or just "cause an evacuation" or something. It could be very fun  ;D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 950