Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810963 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #5805 on: December 21, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »

That'd be cool.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: December 22, 2009, 01:00:42 am »

Alright, here's what I've gotten so far.  It's a pretty big image, so I put it under a spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basic layout of the station proper is done, wiring and atmos pipes are in place, I've got some parts of the station basically furnished, while others are still empty (I haven't even started on Toxins yet besides assigning the room).  Everything else, such as the AI satellite or the prison station, remains unstarted.

Size-wise, I'm pretty sure it's actually a little smaller than the Goonstation, although it's quite a bit longer than it is wide, so it'll probably FEEL bigger.  I started designing the station from the engine outward, so it's a lot less cramped and more safe than the one I put onto the Goonstation.  I also tried to keep related areas together, so the left side is mostly security and administration, the right is medical and research, and in the bowels of the station is engineering and maintenance.Also, I tried to keep most of the wiring and pipes A) inside the maintenance corridors, and B) not going through walls and such when possible, especially for the wiring.  I feel it both looks better and in the case of wires better facilitates maintenance.

A couple things I decided to try; first off, there are two security stations as well as the Security Headquarters, the idea being to make it so that you don't have to drag someone halfway across the station to lock them up.  The two security stations have holding cells intended to secure someone prior to trial and the brig, so they're not as secure as the brig is (or would be; I need to do some more to secure the brig better, I think). 

Another big inclusion, and one I'm still unwary of, is the Arrival Checkpoint at the top.  The idea being that new crew members would HAVE to be processed before being allowed to roam the station - literally, as the finished idea would use locked glass doors rigged to buttons the registrator would have to press.  I don't intend that, should the captain and HoP be MIA, new players will be stuck at the beginning; there would have to be SOME way to get through, even if its just by breaking the glass, but the idea would be to make it more-or-less mandatory to go through job assignment in a well-functioning station.  The more I look at it, though, the more I have doubts about it, so I would really like to hear your thoughts/suggestions on it.

That goes for everything else, too; any suggestions for anything would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: December 22, 2009, 03:47:32 am »

First if all, holy snap thats awesome, very good work Trobes, its coming along *very* nicely.

I think the Arrival Checkpoint works, as well, but you might want to add a few crowbars inside the arrival shuttle, so that people can always get to the oxygen tanks, and thus, break the window.

Suggestions in point(Not really) form are-

Vats are great for refueling tanks and even igniting the engine. A few somewhere would be cool, plus, we have them, might as well use them.  :P

If you could somewhere squeeze in a small room, for lawyers and their clients to talk in, with privacy, would be very nice. I don't know where, though, room around the courtroom is scarce.

Anyway, great work, can't wait to see the finish product. Looks awesome.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #5808 on: December 22, 2009, 09:50:47 am »

I /really/ like the idea of the arrival lounge and sign-in process you've laid out. I think it's an excellent idea and adds a lot to the potential RP, and in many ways is more newbie friendly for late starters--I know on the surface it might not seem it, with locking them in and all, but assuming that there is a HoP/Captain then the fact they'd be given a relevant job rather than be left to roam around looking for something to do (like, gas the station... the devil makes work for idle hands and all that) is just awesome.

I agree with the idea of a crowbar on the shuttle. I'd say perhaps have a tools locker on either side of the front of the shuttle with some absolute basics... though I don't imagine it would be too difficult to rig some doors, even lockers, to open under emergency conditions. A special cabinet item which would be locked /until/ external power was interrupted, at which point it would unlock and open to reveal tool boxes. And the same logic could be applied to the doors, that in the event that the air alarm on the shuttle should trigger, then the doors would open to give access to internals. In the name of sci-fi horror RP fun, I'd not want to wire up the doors to the same 'if (!power) then open()' sort of functionality, but rather make the tools necessary for some fun RP "Quick! Hack the door, we've only got 3 minutes of air left!!!" sort of scenarios :) But it makes perfect sense that with all other things still working (AI, power, etc) that if the air in the shuttle was becoming toxic or just started venting into space that the doors would automatically open. Seems like a logical sort of fail-safe for a station to employ whilst not making the GAME too easy.

Still on quasi vacation, so I don't really have the time to read through the code to confirm that this is possible but from what I read prior to leaving it should be fine.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: December 22, 2009, 09:58:57 am »

I /really/ like the idea of the arrival lounge and sign-in process you've laid out. I think it's an excellent idea and adds a lot to the potential RP, and in many ways is more newbie friendly for late starters--I know on the surface it might not seem it, with locking them in and all, but assuming that there is a HoP/Captain then the fact they'd be given a relevant job rather than be left to roam around looking for something to do (like, gas the station... the devil makes work for idle hands and all that) is just awesome.

I agree with the idea of a crowbar on the shuttle. I'd say perhaps have a tools locker on either side of the front of the shuttle with some absolute basics... though I don't imagine it would be too difficult to rig some doors, even lockers, to open under emergency conditions. A special cabinet item which would be locked /until/ external power was interrupted, at which point it would unlock and open to reveal tool boxes. And the same logic could be applied to the doors, that in the event that the air alarm on the shuttle should trigger, then the doors would open to give access to internals. In the name of sci-fi horror RP fun, I'd not want to wire up the doors to the same 'if (!power) then open()' sort of functionality, but rather make the tools necessary for some fun RP "Quick! Hack the door, we've only got 3 minutes of air left!!!" sort of scenarios :) But it makes perfect sense that with all other things still working (AI, power, etc) that if the air in the shuttle was becoming toxic or just started venting into space that the doors would automatically open. Seems like a logical sort of fail-safe for a station to employ whilst not making the GAME too easy.

Still on quasi vacation, so I don't really have the time to read through the code to confirm that this is possible but from what I read prior to leaving it should be fine.

should be.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: December 22, 2009, 10:09:09 am »

I believe that we require a few more ways to traverse the station, dangerous ones, but viable in an emergency.

Such as Airlocks to an outside, grated area, that can be walked across to get to another part of the station, that will likely hurt you, but in desperate times, will be nessescary.

Or maybe a way to enter the engine block, to get to certain parts of the station, which is INCREDUBLY dangerous, but again, sometimes nessescary.

We also need to re-add air-bridges, they would be good to be able to be deployed by a person who has taken the dangerous route, so the rest of the crew can move through unhindered.

This likely makes no sense, and i will elaborate if needs be.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: December 22, 2009, 11:38:46 am »

Could the AI have more vaccum protecting it's back?.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:44 pm »

Yeah, Keep the arrival checkpoint.
This is the best map I've ever seen.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: December 22, 2009, 12:29:05 pm »

One quick thing about Atmos. Give it some way to vent siphons to space please. If we get the ability to release specific gasses from them, great, we can sort them out, but short of that, the only way to really empty a green siphon full of plasma and CO2 is to either use it, or drag it to an external airlock, which Atmos techs don't have access to. Nothing much, just a 3x3 room with a blastdoor/grate combo like in the engine lighting area leading to a square or three of vacuum.

Also, you may want to remove the atmos pipes leading to the arrival shuttle entryway thing and replace them with those shuttle filters. Or maybe just leave them, and add a few of those immobile filters. That would help prevent random griefing of the arrival shuttle by filling it with CO2, but still allow a determined atmos traitor to disable the shuttle.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: December 22, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »

Another big inclusion, and one I'm still unwary of, is the Arrival Checkpoint at the top.  The idea being that new crew members would HAVE to be processed before being allowed to roam the station - literally, as the finished idea would use locked glass doors rigged to buttons the registrator would have to press.  I don't intend that, should the captain and HoP be MIA, new players will be stuck at the beginning; there would have to be SOME way to get through, even if its just by breaking the glass, but the idea would be to make it more-or-less mandatory to go through job assignment in a well-functioning station.  The more I look at it, though, the more I have doubts about it, so I would really like to hear your thoughts/suggestions on it.

This should be possible with what's already in the game.  The very original map(Before goonstation and all the offshoots) had a brig with secure doors you opened via putting your ID into a panel where you had the options to open inner brig, open outer brig, emergency open both doors, or emergency close both doors.

I agree with the point on atmos.  They definitely need a way to vent gas into space.  If someone "accidentally" vents plasma or N2O into the system, it's a good way to clear it out.(Plus as Beorn stated, places where you can empty siphons would be very handy)

Engineering needs to either have those vats from the more recent version, or a way to give the engine more of a good boost.  Given the limitations of piping flow(You have 5 input canisters using the same pipe, at most maybe 2 will be releasing due to pipe capacity), there may need to be a better way to load the engine before hand.  Doing it all by dragging into the chamber itself is going to take quite a lot of time given its design.(Not to mention multiple engineers getting in each other's way when trying to load it)

PS. Glad to see activity's up again.  Maybe the end of the semester is responsible(I know it is for me.)  I'll try to stop by today if I see the server up.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:13 pm »

THAT MAP IS AWESOME.

But yeah, im playing if you get that map up and adminned.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: December 22, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »

Wow, I'm getting a lot better response then I had expected.  My responses take up even more space than the map I think, so it too is going under a spoiler cut.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quake, it probably won't be finished until this weekend at the earliest, even assuming I spend all day every day working on it.  Even then, there's no doubt a bunch of incredibly obvious bugs and oversights and poorly-optimized sections that'll need to be gone over before it's ready to play.

And thanks everyone who really like the map so far.  It means I'm doing something right.  I'm actually surprised you guys like the checkpoint idea, I was worried it'd sound too restrictive.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: December 22, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »

Thats fine. Just needed a way to vent siphons. I've been on many a station where I had to rig up a siphon disposal system while ordering dozens of idjits around and trying to restart the engine, plus blow something up as the traitor.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: December 22, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »

Your ideas sound perfect to me. Regarding vats, why not throw some refill ones in atmospherics and one plasma or oxygen one right up to the engine?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: December 22, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

Hey i have a suggestion, for logics sake you know.

I was thinking, it takes 10 minutes for the escape shuttle to arrive right? Then it gets back to centcomm instantly, so im suggesting that you teleport the ship into a third sorta 'transit' z-level for the duration of the travel time.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 950