Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810016 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #3660 on: August 15, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »

Yeah, but its 15-20 minutes of boring crap, plus it leaves you open for a quick toolboxing. Plus setting the other panels up assumes you have other compentent engineers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:20 pm »

Hmm, well i personally believe it should be easier to set them up because most rounds only last 15-25 minutes, and spending all that time setting up solars won't be fun.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3662 on: August 15, 2009, 07:17:28 pm »

However, part of the fun of the game is when all power is out and you get things running from a solar array.

On the other hand, it should be somewhat easier. How about a "sun is stronger (clockwise/counterclockwise) from current position" indicator?

Edit: Maybe a sun direction command, limited to max 1 per 10 seconds, that only works if you can see, and only gives one of the 8 primary directions?
Eh?
Eh!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:31 pm »

Just give then the cardinal directions, simplify it somewhat,

HOWEVER! (see what i did there?)

have an override button, so people can tweak it for maximum output. (using the current system)

there should be a limit on power to be gained from using the simplified version.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: August 15, 2009, 07:53:37 pm »

I don't see how hard it is to find the freaking sun.  I mean, I understand from a gaming perspective that you don't want the whole thing automatic, or else why even have the ability to adjust the solar panels?  But it's seriously kind of odd how you can't do anything like, say, look out a window to see where the sun is, or look it up at some kind of terminal or something, to at least be able to figure out where the sun is relative to the station.  Even if it's just a general "The sun is to the northwest" message it would still be a whole lot less stupid than the current "durr where's the big shiny ball" deal.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: August 15, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »

The sun doesnt have a perfect degree speed....I've tried.

Lets say i started at 100, and the power was going down fast, went to 120, power went down more slowly, kept going up 1 degrees at a time but the power level never leveled off it just went up or down. Meaning there is no perfect tracking speed and the sun needs to be fixed.

You don't need to have the omtimum angle, having a horrible angle will still show if you have the right speed or not by not altering (meaning the sun isn't going faster or slower then the arrays) and then you cant change the angle manually until you have a high engery level.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: August 15, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »

Yeah, it is kind of stuipid that you have to try to figure out where in the hell the sun might be. Most of the time i just put the arrays to 0 degrees and then make it go to 359. It turns the panels and whenever power goes up (lets say its pointing south east) I adjust the degrees to be south east and go from there.

Anyway, when is the server going up?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: August 15, 2009, 08:01:35 pm »

Code: [Select]
/datum/sun/New()
rate = rand(75,125)/100 // 75% - 125% of standard rotation
if(prob(50))
rate = -rate

// calculate the sun's position given the time of day

/datum/sun/proc/calc_position()

counter++
if(counter<50) // count 50 pticks (50 seconds, roughly - about a 5deg change)
return
counter = 0

angle = ((rate*world.realtime/100)%360 + 360)%360 // gives about a 60 minute rotation time
// now 45 - 75 minutes, depending on rate

Also, the sun is blocked by the station.

Oh, I forgot: I optimized the rotation code so that it will NOT do a total loop from 359 to get to 0. It turns them counterclockwise if the numeric diffrence is over 180. Naturally that is the one bit I forgot to test.

Edit: and not surprisingly, it was a simple enough change that it worked.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:03:46 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: August 15, 2009, 08:05:59 pm »

NOOOO my way i used to use is ruined! Well, if you going to ruin it you have to add a way to at least have the direction of the sun... please?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: August 15, 2009, 08:19:58 pm »

Oh, all right...

But it will have a 5% chance of temporary blindness‼(Well, maybe not..)

At the very least, you must
a) be able to see the sun, in the same way solar panels must, to get anything from it.
b) Only get a N/E/S/W/NE/NW/SE/SW response.
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »

just make sure that there is actually an angle at which the power doesnt change.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: August 15, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »

Yay... I am happy now i guess.

BTW here is a list of things i think would make the game better, but you don't have to do anything about it or agree, i just want to see if anyone else agrees with me.

~!WARNING!~ WALL OF TEXT ~!WARNING!~

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's all i can really think of right now......

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: August 15, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »

What do you mean by that? That if you get a certain angle, the power always gives full?

NEVER!

The sun moves for a reason.
You ALWAYS get cosine(diffrence in angles between solar panel angle and sun angle)*1600 power for each panel within 90 degrees of the sun WITH A CLEAR PATH TO IT. The sun moves so that setting up solar power takes as much or more effort than setting up the engine.

There is always an angle that can give full power, but it moves in a circle at a constant rate, and sometimes some or all the solar panels are blocked by the station.

That is the way it will remain.

On the other hand, "Hey, for once, the lazy crew don't have to rely on technology to find the sun!.zip" Is on it's way to the host.
Eh?
Eh!

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: August 15, 2009, 08:54:21 pm »

In other news.... *Knocks on Johb's door* WAKE UP! TIME TO HOST THE GAME FOR US BORED PEOPLE!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: August 15, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »

Sorry i meant speed not angle. If its at the same speed as the sun then it shouldn't change right?
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 950