Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810200 times)

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #3525 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:44 pm »

Meh, I will have a look at the code.

Found the problem, fixed. Should work on next reboot.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »

ive been away for two weeks, what are the changes in SS81?

i think i was meant to do something...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: August 08, 2009, 10:42:34 pm »

ive been away for two weeks, what are the changes in SS81?

Dejavu....

anyway what do you mean by SS18?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: August 08, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »

Ok, so, Im back, and I just updated the server, and its up again! Yay!

EDIT- Oh, wait a sec-

DOUBLEEDIT- Ok, NOW its up.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:51:15 pm by Dr. Johbson »

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: August 08, 2009, 11:27:55 pm »

I'll join in a little bit; I just finished constructing the new, hopefully more efficient engine.  The heating cycle is smaller, the cooling cycle is much larger (it encircles the heating circle), there are almost double the amount of plasma/oxygen tanks, and I'm trying a few things regarding the mass driver.  I also eliminated the engine venting mechanism (it seemed useless and there was little space to put it) and removed the pipe clutter, so now it's all pretty straightforward.  Now I want to give it a test run, see if it's all working, and then I'll send it to Johbson when I'm satisfied with it.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: August 08, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »

ss81, the one being developed by someone on the forums...

i forget who...

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: August 08, 2009, 11:55:17 pm »

ss81, the one being developed by someone on the forums...

i forget who...

Qwertyiopas was, but I think he delayed it for now.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:00 pm »

EDIT: Got it working, finally.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:33:11 am by Trorbes »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: August 09, 2009, 03:33:11 am »

Server crashed, will restart in a moment.

Also, Phoesbos, the round you were talking about, we were using a different map then.  ;D

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: August 09, 2009, 03:40:10 am »

Okay, first test run of the new engine was a bit shaky, but I think I know what was wrong.  Johbson, I reuploaded the corrections to that link I already sent you.  I'm going to make a few other adjustments and then go to sleep, but it should work this time.

And if it doesn't, well, I doubled the capacities the SMESs for now, so even if you can't get it running the power should last a while.  Similarly, I doubled the APC charge and increased a bit the SMES charge in Toxins for now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:47:08 am by Trorbes »

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: August 09, 2009, 04:54:26 am »

Just a note, but in my opinion you guys are making it too easy to survive.
Part of SS13 is the rush to get oxygen before it's needed so that you survive the inevitable bomb. With your version though, there's at least one emergency closet in every major hallway.
The same goes with the engine, by doubling the power already stored, it makes it a lot less likely that crowbars will be needed for powered off airlocks.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: August 09, 2009, 01:16:27 pm »

Part of SS13 is the rush to get oxygen before it's needed so that you survive the inevitable bomb. With your version though, there's at least one emergency closet in every major hallway.

You do know that I just recently deleted about 20 closets from the map? If anyone added them back I'm going to be pissed.

Also, a sufficient supply with internals is vital to any space station, whereas grabbing internals without any good reason(no, bombs or hull breaches are nothing to be expected within the next 20 minutes) is metagaming and should be avoided.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:18:42 pm by cib »

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 09, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »

Apple Master, to be honest I don't like that.  I hate how people take emergency internals in the early game before there's even a hint of danger - it's a lot like going to your local grocery store in full NBC suit.  In fact in games where I'm captain I make it an executable offense to take one because to me, it looks like you're expecting the station to be destroyed, either from your actions or someone else's.  And while it's delightfully Cold War-esque to be waiting for "the inevitable bomb," even back then people weren't in a constant state of paranoia, and generally didn't wear gas masks and lead shirts in their own homes.  This "rush to get oxygen before it's needed" is also a rush to keep other people from getting oxygen, and it punishes roleplayers by depriving them of something because they didn't metagame.

Space Station 13 is about roleplaying, it's not just a straightforward "fight to survive" game.  It would make sense to limit the internals in that kind of game where all you have to do is try to stay alive until you can escape, but in SS13 there's so much more to it that that kind of play is actually detrimental to the game.

And it doesn't even make sense design-wise.  The old goonstation had maybe ten closets, but even a skeleton crew is about six or seven people, and a dozen or so people barely fills the job list.  It isn't a small station, and it could probably comfortably hold at least 20 people, so why would the station be designed with fewer emergency supplies than there would be crewmembers?

So, no, I think the idea, at least, is solid.  I can tweak the amount of closets, as I've already done, but I think the amount of emergency internals should at least compliment the average player base of the server.  The SMES charge increase was just temporary, anyway, while the kinks in the engine are worked out so that if the engine is still broken, it doesn't screw over the station so much.

You do know that I just recently deleted about 20 closets from the map? If anyone added them back I'm going to be pissed.
Actually, I believe I reduced the number.  I think I added a couple to places I thought needed them, but I removed almost all of the ones in the hallways except outside the courtroom and bar, and cut the amount in the shed to 12.  As I said I can still adjust the numbers and placement, but my original goal in placing the closets was to make it so that certain parts of the station (such as the arrival hall or medbay) aren't deathtraps when it depressurizes.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: August 09, 2009, 01:45:13 pm »

Well sure, but you can never stop people meta-gaming.
Anyway, it's just my opinion.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: August 09, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »

Er, Trorbes, if there were still closets on the hallways, then you worked on a really outdated version of the map. I made a lot of map fixes and I added Escape Pod support to CentCom >after< I removed almost all of the emergency closets from the hallways.

Apple Master: Just because noone is perfect, that doesn't mean they can atleast try to avoid mistakes. Your suggestion on the other hand would mean encouraging them to do those mistakes.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 950