Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810549 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #3300 on: August 01, 2009, 03:32:37 am »

Here's a suggestion. Make the headphones an earpiece and when on the floor, make it look big. Just as with the health analyzer, normal headphones and flashlights.

Oh and please, get us a PROPER backpack.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 01, 2009, 03:37:36 am »

Roger on the backpack. Just thought I'd try something new.

OH and...
<--- Has NO idea how to sprite things onto a mob or how that crap works.

I'll also try to work on the earpiece headphone. You're thinking one ear-bud with mic sticking out?
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: August 01, 2009, 03:48:27 am »

MarineElite has been permanently banned.  If he's going to willfully disobey my previous instructions, there's no point in keeping him around.

He's not the only problem though.  If there's an issue with somebody, report it and then ignore future posts from that person.

Also, I don't know what's going on with Pillow Killer and Yanlin, and I don't care.  If people keep fighting in this thread and I have to keep coming back here, I'm going to delete it and stop any future thread on this game.
I started playing SS13 about 5 years ago and quit 2 years ago. Mainly due to two prevailing facts that everyone here wants to ignore:
1.The game is designed to encourage mayhem and grieffing(killing other players).
2.There has never been a point were RPing was prevalent.

My reason for number 1:
There is several main jobs in SS13. Before the new stations, the real major ones were Medical, Security, Bridge/Prison. All of these jobs are based around a few points. Medical is necessary to heal people. Security is necessary to arrest and jail people. Prison is necessary to imprison and execute people. Bridge is necessary to maintain order. All of these contribute to one idea, there will be problems. I remember when I started playing, a lot of old dogs would exclaim how there is RP to be had. How the best mode was extended mode. But, I also remember that during these RP extended mode, unless someone was trying to kill everyone else, the game was hideously boring. Nothing would happen. Normal RP'd characters don't freak out and kill somebody -requiring medical to heal wounded/researcher to revive - requiring security to "secure", etc. Thus everyone's job became pointless. Eventually people would lose it, and start finding pisspoor reasons to kill other players, and the game would fall into mayhem. The toxin researcher would get super heated plasma and blow up half the station. Security would become nazi-esque. Command would bring out lasers. Prison would kidnap and torture randomly. But this was RP. Now eventually, I saw my first griefer. More like, I was killed randomly by a naked guy with a toolbox. The RP people greatly disliked these griefers. They caused chaos. They required security to run after them. They required prison sentences. They required medical to heal people. They basically required everyone to do their jobs, and they also gave everyone a common enemy. However over a span of 4 months, griefers grew exponentially. Eventually most servers had to be heavily adminned with IPbans flying out like bullets from a machine gun. This didn't stop them. Griefers got smart. They learned how to make bombs, open airlocks with wire cutters, how to target and run effectively. They learned how to hide and act like a role until the moment was right. Then, all the sudden, griefing stopped. The griefers drove out the Rpers and became Rpers. Because the Rpers were griefers who simply made devious plans. Instead of naked toolboxes, they were sneaking to get swat. Instead of running reckluously, they'd earn your trust, throw you off their trail by distant bombs activated by inconsipicous beeps. Even hiding them in people's backpacks. It was a sick game. The RPers only hated Griefers because they ruined these plans.

This above, and this below is my reasoning behind my number 2:
I was an admin for a server once (Run by a person that went by VistaBeta haha) At least I think that's his name, it might be something else. Well I tried to be a just admin, banning griefers and running around invisible with cloak being omnipresent to find them in the act. However, I found my fellow admins, even those ranked higher than me WERE griefers. It was the RPer = planning griefer syndrome thrown on it's head. These admins, once rpers, would gain the power of item spawn and use it to a totalitarian level. However, they'd never get in trouble because they acquired lackies. This period of gang warfare always evolved when there was more than 1 admin. I avoided this nonsense. I was going to be a real rper. I got my admin revoked by a higher admin, *not vistabeta, who said I was abusing power (because I accused him of abusing power). Anyways, after this time the game went through another griefer cycle. The once-griefers now were Rpers and complained about the griefers.

Then I came to realize, this game was designed simply to encourage griefing. Every game mode encourages it. Every game ends in it eventually. Even with the new stations, with new jobs, it ends with someone scheming to do some evil. A medical researcher can't experiment on people without subjects, willing (unlikely) or unwilling (usually). Security always goes power mad.

Even now, when I look at the current server hosts, I see the most ironic thing. Those hosts were the griefers I onced banned constantly. Cycle keeps turning.

It's call SS13 for a reason.

And the sick thing is, the griefers are what keeps it fun for 70% of the jobs. It's them who allow security to taser and cuff. Medical team to heal. etc.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: August 01, 2009, 03:50:46 am »

I actually had to slap myself to stop myself from simply typing "cool story bro".

But yeah, I see what you're getting at. The drama is half of the game.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 01, 2009, 03:53:31 am »

I actually had to slap myself to stop myself from simply typing "cool story bro".

But yeah, I see what you're getting at. The drama is half of the game.

I'm not going to lie. My first game, I killed some random dude with a toolbox (while naked). Then accidentally knocked myself. Security came along and thought I fought in self defense. They healed me. I learned how to "RP" very quickly this way.

Seriously though, JUST MAKE A NEW GAME.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 01, 2009, 03:58:30 am »

Actually, the whole : I am nekkid and got knocked out by myself IS an RP.

I mean, better than griefers.

Also, it's called SS13 for a reason, yes, that ALL IS GOING TO HELL.

There will never be peace in the station.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 01, 2009, 05:51:49 am »

I agree with you, by which I mean, greifing is half the fun of this game, which is why I don't ban people if they do something creative and not totally random. (IE, beating a guy in the face with a toolbox right after you join.  :P )

This is a great example why I would like to keep the server private. If the server was still private, or at least, Semi-Private, we'd rarely have to worry about those kind of people, and can just continue with our awesome, fun-grief semi-filled RP.

However, this also brings up the main problem that the player base would be too small. For me, a large, well sized game has about 13 people. Around 17 is cool, too, really makes it feel crowded.  (Then there are the days we get around 20. Those are crazy!) We cannot, however, support a well sized private server with our small player base as it stands.

So, as it stands, if you're creative with your killings and have a good reason, you should be in the clear. Provided, of course, that you don't do it every single damn round.  :P

There still is one problem, however.. I am of course, speaking about idiots. Idiots who I cannot think of a good enough example to portray. But you probably know what I mean just by me mentioning them.

Oh yeah, and security never does it job right.   ;D Just thought I'd complain some more.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 01, 2009, 05:57:34 am »

Actually, the whole : I am nekkid and got knocked out by myself IS an RP.

I've been thinking of a way to counter bored-long-RP effects.

For one, extended and secret gamemodes would work like this.

For every round, there is an/are antagonist(s), and a protagonist(s). The Antagonist(s) and Protagonist(s) are both unknown, and are both given certain motives, or 'backstories'. Depending on those stories, they will target parts of the station. The Protagonist(s) helping while the Antagonist(s) Sabotaging. All the while these people are searching for clues that would lead them towards the opposing party. They also need to find clues that lead them together as a team. This could lead to interesting situations such as corrupt police slowly picking off the protagonists, all the while the station mysteriously starts to shut-down, or an epic betrayal, because that one 'hero' turned out to be the king-pin of the operation, and seizes all the protagonists easily, forcing them to walk into the airlock, one by one, making them watch their own fate ahead of them.

It's not really a matter of the game mechanics, but the game-modes. Extended has no goals, not to mention noone ever is allowed to plan an evil scheme just because their character went nutso, or has a hatred for someone. RP doesn't work in games unless the goals are semi-preset.

Also, to highten security's chances, the AI should instead be an invisible entitiy that can move wherever it wants, as long as the ship's cameras can see it. That way maneuverability would be much better for the Security cams.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:18 am »

<--- Has NO idea how to sprite things onto a mob or how that crap works.
There are separate sprites for those somewhere in the files.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 01, 2009, 11:41:56 am »

And good idea Poltifar, although Why not just make a dupe of the gold one and crappify it?

Well yeah, that works too. I just like the idea of having different pens (and maybe other stuff too) depending on rank. Make an all-grey pen for the low-rankers and keep the silver-gold one for the heads and captain.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 01, 2009, 01:30:40 pm »

And good idea Poltifar, although Why not just make a dupe of the gold one and crappify it?

Well yeah, that works too. I just like the idea of having different pens (and maybe other stuff too) depending on rank. Make an all-grey pen for the low-rankers and keep the silver-gold one for the heads and captain.

What color of sleeping pen does the traitor get?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 01, 2009, 01:41:14 pm »

What color of sleeping pen does the traitor get?
BLUE.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 01, 2009, 02:29:22 pm »

Well, I've been at Maine for a while but finally got on the internet. So, what updates have been made in the past two weeks?

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 01, 2009, 02:31:56 pm »

Mostly map-related.  I put a lot more oxygen closets around and removed the mass driver transportation system to Toxins, among other more minor details.

Oh, and fixed that atmos leak in the Toxins generator room.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 01, 2009, 02:38:01 pm »

Well, I've been at Maine for a while but finally got on the internet. So, what updates have been made in the past two weeks?

Also, new pen sprites :P
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 950