Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 811139 times)

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #2790 on: July 17, 2009, 06:37:09 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was watching the thread.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: July 17, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »

You? Banned? I'll want proof and a good reason before I let you get banned. I'll unban you under my authority. So don't fuck up or else it's on my head.

Am I reading this backwards, or is Yanlin actually angrily saying he'll UNBAN someone?? This is truly a miracle! I might even turn back on by heretic Atheistic beliefs to believe in a kind and benevolent God that actually does do some miracles from time to time!

Hold it. I've yet to unban someone I've banned. THAT'S what never happens. I'm just trying to correct a wrong here.

At least no one who deserved it. =P

Can't wait until Johbson gets back and the server is up again. So much better than any of the other servers. (Don't even get me started on Goon Servers...)

I was on Mald's server a while ago. IT SUCKED BALLS!

Some IDIOT fired a flamethrower in the ENGINE CANISTER STORAGE room to KILL A BLOB THAT COULD BE KILLED BY EJECTING THE ENGINE!

I was trying to save canisters to start proto, but as I was going to retrieve the final plasma canister, HE BLOWS UP EVERY SINGLE ONE AND THE HEAT KILLS ME!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: July 17, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »

You? Banned? I'll want proof and a good reason before I let you get banned. I'll unban you under my authority. So don't fuck up or else it's on my head.

Am I reading this backwards, or is Yanlin actually angrily saying he'll UNBAN someone?? This is truly a miracle! I might even turn back on by heretic Atheistic beliefs to believe in a kind and benevolent God that actually does do some miracles from time to time!

Hold it. I've yet to unban someone I've banned. THAT'S what never happens. I'm just trying to correct a wrong here.

Can't wait until Johbson gets back and the server is up again. So much better than any of the other servers. (Don't even get me started on Goon Servers...)

Some IDIOT fired a flamethrower in the ENGINE CANISTER STORAGE room to KILL A BLOB THAT COULD BE KILLED BY EJECTING THE ENGINE!

I was trying to save canisters to start proto, but as I was going to retrieve the final plasma canister, HE BLOWS UP EVERY SINGLE ONE AND THE HEAT KILLS ME!
That last part sounds rather dwarvy to me. Lets see, eject the engine to kill a blob, meh. Blow up the engine to kill the blob, YAY.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: July 17, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »

That last part sounds rather dwarvy to me. Lets see, eject the engine to kill a blob, meh. Blow up the engine to kill the blob, YAY.

That's actually what I said. But since it was NOT the Bay 12 server and even if it were, we do not support griefing.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: July 17, 2009, 07:08:09 pm »

could you spoiler those quote pyramids please? they take up obscene amounts of space.

Ayamane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: July 17, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's actually what I said. But since it was NOT the Bay 12 server and even if it were, we do not support griefing.

Actually Mald's server is the only other one I play on because they have more relaxed rules. (Mald's server is cheshire Station 13, right? I get confused with all the admins, lol) (I almost got banned for using 'o.O' in OOC on one of Nanneks servers. Although I probably am banned because I told them I disagreed with their rules and was going to go play somewhere else. They're a touchy bunch.)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2796 on: July 17, 2009, 07:47:44 pm »

Could someone give me alorgrith advice?

I am trying to alpha-blend HUD overlays(such as the green from a visor, a shade of red from head damage, AND the foggy white of recently being flashed) as if they were each diffrent layers.

This is what I have, and it seems to be working, though I am unable to tell if it is 100% accurate or just a decent approximation.

Code: [Select]
/mob/proc/calc_overlay()
client.screen -= hud.hud_overlay
hud.hud_overlay_icon.DrawBox(rgb(overlay_r,overlay_g,overlay_b,overlay_a),1,1,32,32)
hud.hud_overlay.icon = hud.hud_overlay_icon
client.screen += hud.hud_overlay
//world << "r[overlay_r] g[overlay_g] b[overlay_b] a[overlay_a]"
overlay_r = 0
overlay_g = 0
overlay_b = 0
overlay_a = 0

/mob/proc/overlay(var/r,var/g,var/b,var/a)
var/aa = a/255
var/inv_a=(1-aa)
overlay_r = r*aa + overlay_r*inv_a
overlay_g = g*aa + overlay_g*inv_a
overlay_b = b*aa + overlay_b*inv_a
overlay_a = a + overlay_a*inv_a
world << "aa[aa] r[overlay_r] g[overlay_g] b[overlay_b] a[overlay_a]"

The bonus for this is that there can be a red layer equal to overlay(200,0,0,max(0,head.damage*3-120)) (head.damage is calculated from head.damage_physical, head.damage_oxyloss, head.damage_bleeding, and any future damage type additions every time it takes damage) rather than a single icon state(or more than one) for the "head is hurt" overlay, and enabling unlimited overlays at once
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:49:59 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2797 on: July 17, 2009, 09:03:08 pm »

I *think* I cleared all debugging code, but here is .05 and the source.

Now both hands work, I added icon->bodypart relations(That way, clicking on the icon can select the object held :) ) and stuff.

I have defined equipment slots for all of the equipment types, though only the hands are used.
Possibly next: held item overlays, another equipment slot in use, whatever I feel like.
Eh?
Eh!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: July 18, 2009, 03:00:26 am »

QUOTE PYRAMID TIEM.

I think it's great that people are embracing their dwarven roots.

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: July 18, 2009, 05:59:53 am »

You probably misunderstood me - By other server, I meant "goon server". I still wonder why so many people play there, with all the abusing admins.

Also, I'm glad that someone is working on a remake with such enthusiasm. Keep up the good work, qwerty!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: July 18, 2009, 06:15:22 am »

You probably misunderstood me - By other server, I meant "goon server". I still wonder why so many people play there, with all the abusing admins.

Also, I'm glad that someone is working on a remake with such enthusiasm. Keep up the good work, qwerty!

Oh. I thought you meant our server.

People "play" on the Goon server because it's the best one. Low lag, literate admins, etc.

Until they realize that in fact, the admins abuse, the players grief and generally it sucks. But all those people? They are probably coming from the Goon forums and populating the server by being idle or playing a little bit. Because when I used to play there due to lack of any other servers, I never met more than 10 people in any given round. Sure enough, I met lots of braindead assistants and other various low level jobs.

Plus the spawn room before the arrival shuttle always had a few people.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: July 18, 2009, 06:59:40 am »

I've just started reading qwerty's source and I noticed that the breathing part is extremely detailed - and also hard to read, on that regard. Please keep in mind that this degree of accuracy isn't strictly necessary - from the player point of view, it's enough if it feels somewhere like that, but it need not work exactly like that. While realism to a certain degree is very nice, a well-abstracted representation that "works good enough in most cases" is preferable in my opinion, especially since the computer's resources are limited, even more so when building on an inefficient language like DM. Don't forget that DM was designed to create simple games and the designers never had extensive simulations or complex algorithms in mind.

In this case, you could for example remove the relation between the amount of blood and the amount of oxygen, which would probably greatly simplify the code, yet have little impact on the game play(when bleeding to death, you have other problems to deal with than suffocation anyway).

Of course, I can understand you enjoy researching and conceptualizing complex algorithms, so if that's your main motivation, you are free to make the game as complex as you want, but if you also want to make a fun game that is played by other people, you should take these considerations into account.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:06:38 am by cib »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: July 18, 2009, 07:32:26 am »

Protip from Sid Meier.

Never let the computer have more fun than the player.

Example: Games such as the Total War series.

If the player doesn't know that wind, season and terrain affect how good his soldiers fight, he wont consider that. The computer will and have more fun.

Besides, a short code that's easy on the server (Remember, you want the server to calculate as little as possible. It should not have to bother with calculating how much oxygen one consumes in complex math equations.) and works well is better than a massive code that works perfectly.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: July 18, 2009, 07:51:54 am »

I agree that we dont want too many complex algorithms around to slow down the server, but just one or two wouldnt be too much of a problem, right?

Anyways, I'd like to propose something too: a standarized system for all machines to work on. What I mean by this, is that all machines use power in the same way (NOT same amount, same way as in we dont have one checking for wires while the other checks for APC in the area, etc...), and that they can somehow be made to communicate with each other (like, be able to connect a radio signaler to the communications pc so that sending a certain code on a certain frequency activates the communication computer to call the shuttle (if someone with necessary clearance is logged in on it, ofcourse), kind of like we already can do with airlocks). This would make for some INSANELY COOL contraptions IMO.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: July 18, 2009, 08:00:28 am »

I agree that we dont want too many complex algorithms around to slow down the server, but just one or two wouldnt be too much of a problem, right?

Depends on how often it is called. For example, calling a very complex algorithm every time someone moves, is.. bad. In general, it's just important to consider the effectiveness of the code.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 950