Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 804603 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #2595 on: July 13, 2009, 02:10:41 pm »

Hmmm.  I wonder what it would do to roleplay, if you actually did randomize backstory--and had randomized interpersonal relationships.  Possibly with mini-goals.  You wouldn't want "kill this person" type goals, or the game turns into Assassins (WHICH MIGHT NOT BE A BAD THING BUT NOT RIGHT NOW OKAY) but maybe stuff like "Bob is your buddy, make sure he escapes alive".

Would be cool if everyone got a point score at the end of the round, something like 5 for surviving, 10 for escaping, +5 for non-traitors if they stop the traitor, +10 for traitors if they win, and +2 for each personal goal you accomplish?  Track points in the same place you track job preferences, if those are indeed stored server-side.

Would it help or hinder RP to give people pre-generated grudges, I wonder?  They'd be two-way, and randomized, so person A gets "Person B has always been a jerk to you and has hindered promotion opportunities for you in the past" and person B gets "Person A seemed to have stolen your loved one back in high school".  You don't always know how serious the other guy's end of the grudge is either.  Everyone present at the start of the round gets relationships with a couple other people in their notes, along with a reminder "This is not an excuse to kill them!".  People joining mid-game would get someone, maybe another assistant, and have a new thing tacked onto both their notes as well as a message "You remember something about the guy who just came onto the station".

We suggested a game mode like this to Ex a while back before the source got released.  I'm still all for it.  Little mini-objectives for people would be neat.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 13, 2009, 02:15:52 pm »

The maintainance shafts should stay; I've found them useful again and again for getting around those hallway fires. Plus they contian all the atmosphere directors. You could try sticking everything in the shafts onto the walls but i dont feel too comfortable having so many important things crammed together just waiting for a bomb to damage the station twice as much as they already do.

And for telekinesis, why not just say they send the item into a vent and pop it out another one.

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 13, 2009, 02:33:29 pm »

Marine, I don't have details so I don't know why people consider you a more severe and persistent problem but they do--and I suspect they have their reasons.  Complaining won't help anything.  Boy I sure would like it if ban-related whining moved to PMs.

There was no reason. Even Beorn said he thinks I shouldn't be banned
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 13, 2009, 02:34:24 pm »

Hmmm.  I wonder what it would do to roleplay, if you actually did randomize backstory--and had randomized interpersonal relationships.  Possibly with mini-goals.  You wouldn't want "kill this person" type goals, or the game turns into Assassins (WHICH MIGHT NOT BE A BAD THING BUT NOT RIGHT NOW OKAY) but maybe stuff like "Bob is your buddy, make sure he escapes alive".

Would be cool if everyone got a point score at the end of the round, something like 5 for surviving, 10 for escaping, +5 for non-traitors if they stop the traitor, +10 for traitors if they win, and +2 for each personal goal you accomplish?  Track points in the same place you track job preferences, if those are indeed stored server-side.

Would it help or hinder RP to give people pre-generated grudges, I wonder?  They'd be two-way, and randomized, so person A gets "Person B has always been a jerk to you and has hindered promotion opportunities for you in the past" and person B gets "Person A seemed to have stolen your loved one back in high school".  You don't always know how serious the other guy's end of the grudge is either.  Everyone present at the start of the round gets relationships with a couple other people in their notes, along with a reminder "This is not an excuse to kill them!".  People joining mid-game would get someone, maybe another assistant, and have a new thing tacked onto both their notes as well as a message "You remember something about the guy who just came onto the station".

We suggested a game mode like this to Ex a while back before the source got released.  I'm still all for it.  Little mini-objectives for people would be neat.

My (not very well elaborated) question stands though--What kinds of objectives would you want?  "Make sure this person escapes too" would be a good objective.  "Take / escape with a space drug" might be interesting.  But the most fun objectives would require you to -do- something to another person, and that can muck up the game FAST.  If there's any form of recognition for your actions--even "Player X achieved his objective" at the end--suddenly RP is going to go out the window.  If your objective is "You have a grudge, kill this person and don't die", you just KNOW that pubbies are going to follow that guy around and toolbox him as soon as nobody else is around, and then merrily go about their day.  Or make a bomb and blow up six guys just to get their target.

Job related goals could be neat, but maybe dangerous.  EVERYone should get some bonus (if points are tracked) for the station, you know, not sucking--+1 to everyone for the main engine coming online, maybe additional +1 for the engineers I guess--but if you start telling the geneticists "Your goal is to make a hulk!", well, suddenly EVERY round is going to be full of people hulking out and then going HULK SMASH.

It might be nice to tell the toxins guys "Your goal is to detonate a bomb inside the test chamber", perhaps.

What objectives would be fun and wouldn't ruin the server D:

Also, is it just me, or is the game really lacking a "good ending"!  Seriously!  Maybe we should just start saying "Shift ends 1 hour after game starts, if nothing is horribly wrong then, feel free to call the shuttle".  It sucks for dead people if their death is the only thing that's gone wrong.  Maybe the rate of disasters needs to be stepped up...well, that, or more admin-run scenarios if things aren't hectic enough.  The ones I've run were a lot of fun.

As of this weekend, I'm now good enough at the game that r-walls and airlocks aren't even remotely a hindrance at all.  As a traitor, I vented the engine out the back into a hallway.  It certainly changes the nature of the game a little.  And at risk of being a damn pubbie, I have to say that my goals in life are now "add a new rule involving vampires to the AI within a minute of the game starting" and "find something awesome to do with airlocks and signalers"... Someday I AM going to assassinate someone by putting one signaler on an outer airlock, and one on the way back to the rest of the station, so that pressing a button will disable the way back for a full minute while venting the room.

Marine, I don't have details so I don't know why people consider you a more severe and persistent problem but they do--and I suspect they have their reasons.  Complaining won't help anything.  Boy I sure would like it if ban-related whining moved to PMs.
There was no reason. Even Beorn said he thinks I shouldn't be banned
Well, I disagree, solely based on "you keep badgering the thread about it".  Seriously, take it to PMs.  One message is enough.  I won't ever unban anyone who keeps arguing about their bans in the thread.  "Your auto-ban is acting up" is one thing, "I wasn't acting that bad and he was acting way worse than me" is not okay ever.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:42:34 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2599 on: July 13, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »

Inspirations from a total remake, part two:
I have given everything a gases, though it defaults to null(can't hold gases).
Gases now have two variables: capacity and volume.
That way, a room having ten thousand cubic centimeters of gases will accept gases from a small air tank only containing 1000.
This is much better than the current system that only compares the source's gas ammount with the turf's/5

(Oops, forgot to post for a while)
Eh?
Eh!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »

Server is up.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 13, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »

Here's a good idea. We need to find a way to track how well people perform their job. For example, if an engineer leaves the engine before it is ignited, he should be punished somehow.

Or if anyone opens emergency lockers before an actual emergency...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 13, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »

Idea for the emergency lockers. Make em secure with captain and head access only, all heads, and give the engineering console in the engine and bridge a new command to unlock all emergency lockers with the proper card.

Edit: And the AI too. Which would give the AI a new toy to play with, Mouse Traps.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:52 pm »

An emergency console that can be activated by a head or the AI sounds good.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:32 pm »

The AI should have a command to open and shut the emergency lockers. Not just unlock them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 13, 2009, 04:41:39 pm »

They'd better be crowbar-able open.  Or hackable.  And I worry about people just always crowbarring them right off, so everyone rushes for the crowbars first, and THEN gas masks.  It would be like a station full of Gordon Freemans.

Though it would be kinda nice if the AI got a notification when something was amiss, security-wise.  Hey, we could make security closets have five wires:  Power, ID, open signal, AI control, and alarm.  Whenever someone cuts the alarm wire, or crowbars a powered emergency closet, the AI gets warned as long as the AI control wire is still present.  Also add an alarm wire to the airlocks, following some damn rule or other.  Maybe let the AI flag an airlock so that if anyone tries to access it, the AI will be told that it happened, and what card did it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:47 pm »

Things that need to be done, ASAP, dammit.

1. HoM and the Forensic tech need better clearance. They both don't have clearance to areas they should! Should be very easy to do.

2. Remove the Cent. Com Reports. This causes Metagaming, and I think it would be more fun without it. Should be easy to do.

3 Change the AI default laws. As it stands now, anyone can give any order to the AI, and he as long as it isn't a direct danger to the station, they have to do it. IE, "AI, bolts all doors in the station." If no one told the AI not to, he would have to, even if a damn assistant told him too.
Should also, be very easy to do.

4. WHEN A REV BRAINWASHES ANOTHER PERSON, THEY NEED TO GET A MESSAGE TELLING THEM WHAT TO DO, AND THAT THEY NEED TO A, KILL THE CAPTAIN AND THE HEADS, AND B, STOP KILLING THE GUY WHO FLASHES THEM! This is very annoying, shouldn't take too long to do.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 13, 2009, 05:08:34 pm »

We need a Cent.Com report for rev mode. As of now people are being forced to RP not knowing a rev is going on. Even though people are being seen a getting flashed. All they have to do is make something up like "I asked him to" and more forced RP. There is really no way to realize that a rev is going on until you get several people attacking the heads. Which could interpreted as just some insane guys and cant be traced back tot he rev leaders.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 13, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »

Things that need to be done, ASAP, dammit.
3 Change the AI default laws. As it stands now, anyone can give any order to the AI, and he as long as it isn't a direct danger to the station, they have to do it. IE, "AI, bolts all doors in the station." If no one told the AI not to, he would have to, even if a damn assistant told him too.
Should also, be very easy to do.

I completely agree point 1, but I must address point 3.

If the AI drops bolts just because it's been asked... It's a bad AI. The AI cannot, directly or indirectly, through action, interaction or inaction, cause harm to humans.

Law 2 CLEARLY sates that it must be obeyed as long as it does not violate law 1.

This means that if the AI endangers anyone by dropping bolts (IE, everybody who needs to use it...) then it cannot drop bolts. It has to REFUSE the action.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #2609 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »

What's up with the server? I keep on disconnecting.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 950