Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 804541 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #2565 on: July 13, 2009, 06:48:20 am »

well, pipes and filters run in them. they can be quite useful if you want to change atmhosphere in a room, but can't enter it, like with fire.

Sure. BUT WHY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STATION?! These things should be ON THE WALLS IN THE HALLWAY! Think about it! Would you design a space station so superfluous when you could save BILLIONS of dollars by trimming it down?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 13, 2009, 07:11:07 am »

Two words: Insurance. Scam.
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 13, 2009, 07:44:44 am »

You're not going to make a net profit off an insurance scam.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:18 am »

Sure you can! Just use cheaper materials, but declare to the company that it is top-of-the-line stuff! (and this is why such slow meteors break solid walls of unobtainium.)
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:08 am »

No. The insurance scam thing is just another part of the HORRIBLE timeline.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2570 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44:23 am »

I started trying to remake SS13 from nothing, but got caught on something:

I started to make a four-layer space image, with each layer moving at 1, 2, 3, or 4 pixels per frame. And they don't have a tool to move part of an image without moving the rest.
(So I gave each layer a diffrent colour for now)
Eh?
Eh!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:47 am »

From NOTHING? What amounts of nothing?

Also, I never bothered with multi-layer icons. Mostly because they were already done.   :P

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:36 am »

I really like the insurance scam idea, besides using substandard design and materials, they could also have cut costs in personel. It might explain the bad docters, mad geneticists, clueless assistants, paranoid security officers and engineers who don't know how to operate an engine.

Of course, the company picked a spot for the space station littered with ion, plasma and metor storms. They also approached one of their employees under the guise of one of their competitors to cause chaos. Then they advertised that they would experiment on monkeys, just to make sure that extreme animal rights activists would send a terrorist squad to nuke the place. (Yes, the monkeys too, just to make a point.)

And what kind of megacorporation would use Asimov's robot laws to begin with? I'm thinking they would have just one law: 1 A robot must not injure shareholder value or, through inaction, allow shareholder value to come to harm. And then some bits of unmutable information about how shareholder value can be harmed. Like littering, lack of adherence to the company mission statement, negative public criticism about Space Beer (tm) and opening the company to lawsuits about unsafe work conditions after the death of employees.
Benzene on steam.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:09 am »

No. The insurance scam thing is just another part of the HORRIBLE timeline.

Hint: They bought really expensive life insurance for the crew, but picked the biggest idiots they could find to ensure maximum profit.

Oh and NanoTrasen(The company that funds these stations) is about the size of the Umbrella Corp.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:45:47 am by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2574 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:45 am »

Here it is!(A new space tile)

What one do you think is better?
Eh?
Eh!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:36 am »

Telekinesis through walls?  Deconstruct the object into each of its individual atoms(Or quarks if you like) and pass them through the vast empty space in walls between the wall atoms.  Reassemble and bash and voila you've bashed someone through a wall.(Repeat backwards to get it back to the person.  Although if someone had enough mind power to do this sort of thing, they'd probably just disassemble their target instead.

Also, it's not like it's common for someone to get more than one superpower.  Getting two to manifest at the same time requires quite a bit of luck.  Intersparsed by a quick trip to the toxin medkit.  I usually just have patience for one, then use other resources to my advantage.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:42 am »

Telekinesis through walls?  Deconstruct the object into each of its individual atoms(Or quarks if you like) and pass them through the vast empty space in walls between the wall atoms.  Reassemble and bash and voila you've bashed someone through a wall.(Repeat backwards to get it back to the person.  Although if someone had enough mind power to do this sort of thing, they'd probably just disassemble their target instead.

Also, it's not like it's common for someone to get more than one superpower.  Getting two to manifest at the same time requires quite a bit of luck.  Intersparsed by a quick trip to the toxin medkit.  I usually just have patience for one, then use other resources to my advantage.

There's telekinesis and then there's being godlike.

Your handwave there brings forth the "WHY DOESN'T HE JUST DO X!!!" problem. If he can do what you listed above, why can't he use that to teleport? Go through walls? Instantly kill people? Make himself invulnerable? Etc.

I really like the insurance scam idea, besides using substandard design and materials, they could also have cut costs in personel. It might explain the bad docters, mad geneticists, clueless assistants, paranoid security officers and engineers who don't know how to operate an engine.

Of course, the company picked a spot for the space station littered with ion, plasma and metor storms. They also approached one of their employees under the guise of one of their competitors to cause chaos. Then they advertised that they would experiment on monkeys, just to make sure that extreme animal rights activists would send a terrorist squad to nuke the place. (Yes, the monkeys too, just to make a point.)

And what kind of megacorporation would use Asimov's robot laws to begin with? I'm thinking they would have just one law: 1 A robot must not injure shareholder value or, through inaction, allow shareholder value to come to harm. And then some bits of unmutable information about how shareholder value can be harmed. Like littering, lack of adherence to the company mission statement, negative public criticism about Space Beer (tm) and opening the company to lawsuits about unsafe work conditions after the death of employees.

I'd like to see what insurance company gives insurance to that shit. SURELY they send inspectors!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:10 am »

inspector?  these stations don't last enough.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:18 am »

Surely they send the inspector BEFORE signing the deal?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:12 am »

well, pipes and filters run in them. they can be quite useful if you want to change atmhosphere in a room, but can't enter it, like with fire.

Sure. BUT WHY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STATION?! These things should be ON THE WALLS IN THE HALLWAY! Think about it! Would you design a space station so superfluous when you could save BILLIONS of dollars by trimming it down?

Are you freaking kidding?  You'd have pubbies hitting the pretty levers all the time just to see what they do!  At least in the maintenance areas, if you see someone back there, you have a sense of "what are you doing there?  are you messing with stuff? hey that filter is set to release plasma, and you're standing next to it, maybe it was you".   In a hallway not so much.

As for why assistants can get INTO those maintenance areas...well, eh.

Me, I liked the original map2 design a lot more.  It had TINY maintenance areas sandwiched into spaces between rooms, just big enough to do what they needed to.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 950